Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tollcross & Shettleston, "Adjusting" my memories
betty2
post 13th Aug 2003, 06:54am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
I do remember an aunt of mine putting on leg tan
foubd out in later years it was because nylons were hard to come by
nowadays i wear it myself a more sophisticated type but its because i hate tights and couldnt go back to stockings and ah think its mair healthier
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 13th Aug 2003, 08:07am
Post #17

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 20
Yes, I mind the old orange leg make-up & me mam drawin' black seams up the back. And you're right, tights aren't a healthy item. Was wondering to myself how come the fashions I saw on the Shettleston lassies is so vivid in my mind - & it must be because rationing had come to an end then, & folk were at last able to get nicer clothes than the post-war austerity horrors, & no' too dear either. The big "wedgie" sandals were going out [my mam said only gallus folk wore them!] & stilettos were coming in, & lovely wee tops & shorts the girls wore up at the tennis on/near[?] Wellshot Rd. I saw my first Teddy-boys on Shettleston Rd, I think that's what they were called.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 13th Aug 2003, 09:31am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Don't know the old east end at all but anytime I am over at that side of town I am always amazed at the regeneration that has gone on over the last few years especially around the Forge.Does anyone know where in the Tollcross area Stewarts and Lloyds was based, believe it was a large foundry that was still operational back in the sixties and seventies.

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 13th Aug 2003, 01:24pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
I too did the "parade" thing oan a Sunday night oan Shettleston Rd an' like yi said Bard lookin' in aw the shoap windaes (believe that wan if ye like) stoapin in the cafe then back tae saunterin, an' the teddy boys never forget them oh we thought they were grand wi they tight legged troosers that wir crinkled doon at their ankles, an they berets loved them an' fer sure the hatpins always carried wan stuck in the lapel o' mah coat, never knew when ye might have need of it rolleyes.gif, and the nylons, ah remember when ah was working oan a saturday in woolworths oan Union st and we goat in nylons the q wis a mile long an that wis before the shoap even opened .Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end da dum da dum da dum ........

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 13th Aug 2003, 02:09pm
Post #20

Super City Key Holder
Oh hearing about all this is pure magic! Ah thought the Teddy boys looked bad bad bad - & SO interesting & "cool", first time ah'd seen any "male" fashions in Glasgow, ever. And the way those boys had their hair cut, well it looked great to me. Only managed to do the Sunday night Shettleston stroll twice, wi' some school pals, and mah hair cut in the latest "cap" cut [mah mam wuz gonna kill the lassie in the hairdressers], & our berets all tipped forward at just the right angle, hatpins too, we thought we were great, then mah mam found out & gave Australia House laldy - & here I am!

Nylons were to die for, ah got a pair but mah mam got revenge first, bought me one of those roll-on suspender belts, it was terrible & ah threw it away. Me being tall, the suspender things had tae stretch doon a long way, whit mortification when they all 'popped' out when ah wuz comin doon the stairs of a No 29 tram, everyone laughing at me wi mah stockin's roon mah ankles!

Those really were the days - the post-war dreariness & rationing days coming to an end, and rock n roll startin', & cafes wi jukeboxes, and teenagers was a new word in the language.

+Quote Post
bartom
post 13th Aug 2003, 04:48pm
Post #21

Settling In
Member No.: 55
Bard you mention your mammy was an usherette at the odeon, well I lived in pettigrew st, and used to love the saturday morning shows for kids only and you got special treatment on your birthday as you had to give date of birth when you joined the club, it was magic, when the baddie came sneaking up on the goodie we would all start screaming look out look out it was great, did you, Betty or gemini know alfie's fish and chip shop in shettleston rd just around the corner from the odeon, he used to send about 50 fish suppers every thursday to America to some shettleston people that had emigrated over there, they must have really loved their fish suppers as it would have cost a few bob for postage. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 13th Aug 2003, 06:16pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Bartom ah remember mah da telling me aboot the fish suppers bein' sent here frae shettleston, an' ah too mind o' they morning clubs at the pictures oan a Saturday morning, an' the ration books, wan day mah pal and I was going to the pictures, so she sneaked some sweetie coupons fra her mammy's book and pit them in her poaket whit so happened to be in her knickers, well you should have seen us trying to get them oot withoot anybody seeing us, talk aboot laugh, ah've nae doubt bartom we really must huv seen each other oan that shettleston at wan time or another. smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
betty2
post 13th Aug 2003, 09:14pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Yes bartom ah remember Alfies chip shop and there wis a story in the sunday post aboot they fish suppers gawn aw the wey across the atlantic tae the ex-shettleston folk, they wur the best fish suppers in the east end.An the teddy boys wae their tony curtis hair cuts drainpipe troosers an the drape jaikits an mind the shoes "beetle crushers" we cawd them they hud big thick crepe soles.
Elvis wis comin oan the scene, bill haley & the comets, then there wis the big band sound wednesday night at the barraland where we danced tae aw those magical tunes. Golden memories biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 14th Aug 2003, 02:40am
Post #24

Super City Key Holder
No I wasn't part of the Odeon Club, wish I'd known about it then, 'snoferr! But my mam bought a paper-shop in Dalmarnock Rd, & after school I worked there or at the rellos' new cafe in Hyndland St, Partick. That was the cafe with the jukebox, the man used to come weekly to change the records - & it was there I first heard the new rock n roll music. And I had to pay for the tray of crockery I dropped [in ecsatatic delight] when I heard Shake Rattle n Roll coming from the jukebox!

Yes I mind the teddyboys' shoes, & I was pretty surprised in Oz to see them in "desert boot" ones instead, then one day I saw my first pair of "blue suede shoes" on a guy & I just knew that teenagers, that new word, were a fact of life. The Frank Sinatra "bobby-soxer" thing never took off in Glasgow, I don't think. I managed to sneak out one evening to have a look at the Barrowland Ballroom, I wasn't prepared or dressed for dancing & that wasn't the idea anyway, I just wanted a look. I must have paid to get in, this part is hazy in my mind - but anyway, I got in there. It just looked like a magic place, really swish & grand to my young eyes, oh it was magnificent. Can't tell you how much I was looking forward to being a part of this exciting place at a later stage, till I was borne off, kicking & struggling almost, to Oz.

Didn't know about Alfie's either, us young 'uns in that family had little freedom, even my visits to the Wellshot Rd library were timed! That is just so amazing about ex-Shettleston folk in the US having all those fish suppers sent to them weekly, they must have travelled all right - & that's pretty amazing too. You're all such brilliant folk for sharing with me those memories of Shettleston as seen through a young person's eyes, I'm rapt with all you've said!

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 14th Aug 2003, 01:52pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
och Thebard I feel bad for you, you missed a great time in glesga back then, I mind I was working on the "caurs" at the time and when "rock'n'roll hit the scene record shops were opening up all over the place, well there was this wee shop in shettleston and I went there bought a record player and every week a new record was bought, as fast as the new ones were coming out was as fast as I could buy them, I think we discussed this before on the old board, but rock'n'roll actually derived from the blues which I know you are familiar with, some white guy in america was down south somewhere listening to the blues and added a new sound to them hence "rock'n'roll" came about and if you really listen to the words of the first rock'n'roll songs, you can hear actually visulize the slow beat of the blues.

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 14th Aug 2003, 02:35pm
Post #26

Super City Key Holder
Ha- I was worse cos when I first started working in Oz, my 1st three fortnights’ pay were totally blown on a record-player [HMV Nippergram] & records, then my mam took all my 4th pay for board. All the other girls here bought for their “glory-boxes” [bottom drawer], not me, the record shop got all my wages. And I moved outta home cos I was sicka my Dad taking the fuses outta the fusebox to stop the “devil music”!

I could tell that the East End had started jumpin’ then & it musta been a great time for young folk/teenagers – told you I didn’t want to leave! I was still in high school but worked after school in the various rellos’ businesses, & I really noticed the changes, it was like the young folk in Shettleston suddenly had a “presence” , they had their own fashions, their own music - & their custom & business was being sought for the first time ever. Record “bars” were opening before I left, jukeboxes became de rigeur in cafes, even my dour barber uncle who’d done “short back & sides” FOREVER on Shettleston Rd, had to grudgingly learn the Teddyboy cuts – then he laughed all the way to the bank!

+Quote Post
bartom
post 14th Aug 2003, 03:26pm
Post #27

Settling In
Member No.: 55
Gemini if I remember correctly it was blckboard jungle the film with Glen Ford as the schoolteacher that brought out the rock and roll with Bill Haley and the comets playing rock around the clock and shake rattle and roll they are they only ones that I can remember from that picture, I might recall other ones later if you Betty2 saw it you may remember other songs, then came the King he was the first main singer to sing rock and roll, happy memories.

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 14th Aug 2003, 03:47pm
Post #28

Super City Key Holder
You’re right about that, bartom. I was already in high school in Tasmania and as Oz used to be behind the times with film releases, I saw Blackboard Jungle ages after it was shown in UK. Glenn Ford & a very young Vic Morrow were the stars in it. A group of us “wagged” school several times to see it & a local newspaper published a photo of us jiving outside the cinema. I just escaped expulsion cos up till then I’d been a “model” student - & thankfully, my Dad never found out!
A number of rock n roll films were quickly made by Hollywood to cash in on the rock n roll dance teenage dance craze, like “The Girl Can’t Help It” with the amazing Little Richard. I used to follow all this in the overseas editions of UK papers, really despondent about being in the nowhere of Tassie & longing to be back in Shettleston.

+Quote Post
betty2
post 18th Aug 2003, 10:57am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Bard made a wee mistake on wan o ma posts vesaluis st is still there, noticed it last night its the bottom half that has gone ,but the newer half (at the old shettleston rd) is there. y/see there ah wis makin ma way tae the barn club and i was thinkin about you and your shettleston memories when i clocked this error. Good job ah wis on ma wey in an no comin oot , fur oan the wey oot m no sae observant if yi know whit ah mean rolleyes.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post
betty2
post 18th Aug 2003, 02:40pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
I've just noticed this topic is for glasweigans livin away , an then it says not exclusively, well me bein a homebody ah wis jist bringin back some memories tae the bard who wis feelin a wee bitty homesick, so ah'll butt oot noo biggrin.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.