Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is This Email Dodgy
norrie123
post 8th Feb 2009, 01:34pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi folk, I got this in my Hotmail inbox today, looks dodgy to me.
Have any of you had it?
Bye for now.

Hello and Welcome to Windows Live™ Hotmail®

Congratulations! The next generation of MSN® Hotmail is in your hands - fast, simple, and safer than ever before.
• Bookmark this link to login to your Windows Live Hotmail

Easily import contacts

Account Alert

Dear Valued Member,

Due to the congestion in all Hotmail users and removal of all unused Hotmail Accounts,Hotmail would be shutting down all unused Accounts,You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Info below after clicking the reply botton, or your account will be suspended within 24 hours for security reasons.

UserName:...........................
Password:............................
Date of Birth:.......................
Country Or Terriitory:.....................

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his or her account before two weeks of receiving this warning will lose his or her account permanently.
» Import Your Contacts Now
Your mail will be locked, your look

It's easy to create your own personal look with Windows Live Hotmail. From the Mail page,
» Get the Details
Wait, there's more

But we don't want to overload you with too much of a good thing - see more of what Windows Live Hotmail can do:

» Learn more

Windows Live Hotmail. Fast, simple and safer than ever.
Live is good.

Sincerely,
The Windows Live Hotmail Team

You are receiving this message from Windows Live because you are a valued member. Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our online Privacy Statement.

For more information or for general questions regarding your e-mail account, please visit Windows Live Hotmail Help.

Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052-6399, USA © 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Live™: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect. Check it out.

{0}
Mark as read

Mark as unread

Delete

Junk

Not junk

Print

View message source

© 2009 Microsoft Privacy Legal Help Central Account Feedback

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Feb 2009, 01:50pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Yes Norrie, without question.

NEVER, NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORD TO ANY ONLINE SERVICE at the request of an unsolicited email.

No legitimate group will ever as you for the password to a service as important as your email account - by email - as it is insecure and the risks are substantial.

Delete the email and block the sender.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 8th Feb 2009, 02:30pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi GG, I have since found out that the emails are bogus.
Spelling mistakes and bad grammer were pointed out to me by another poster, that alone, if I had noticed them, would have made me wary.

The emails have been marked unsafe

I was given this link by the same poster
http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/08/12/windo....m-users-beware/

Bye for now, Norrie

+Quote Post
joycewilson
post 9th Feb 2009, 12:18pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,109
phishing fraud alert

A high street bank has warned its customers to be on their guard against fraudsters trying to trick them into revealing their account and password details.

Lloyds Banking Group, which was created last month through the takeover of Halifax Bank of Scotland by Lloyds TSB, fears that the move could trigger a wave of phishing attacks against its customers.
Phishing attacks involve fraudsters sending emails to members of the public, pretending to be from their bank.

In it they ask people to follow a link to a website, made to look like the log in page of the bank they are impersonating, and enter their account number and security details.

http://money.uk.msn.com/investing/news/art...mentid=13809327

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 10th Feb 2009, 04:53pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
I get at least 1 bank asking me to confirm details but a report the named banks as am not an on line banker never will be and a laugh because its been from every bank you can name except my high st bank silly bankers laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
joycewilson
post 16th Feb 2009, 02:42pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,109
lol stuarty well at least we are aware of it eh / x

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 18th Feb 2009, 10:40am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
If in doubt do nowt !!! is your best guide ,but if not sure yuou can go to Snopes http://www.snopes.com/ most scams are listed on there.

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
*guest X*
post 18th Feb 2009, 02:27pm
Post #8

QUOTE (jimmyd @ 18th Feb 2009, 10:27am) *
If in doubt do nowt !!! is your best guide ,but if not sure yuou can go to Snopes http://www.snopes.com/ most scams are listed on there.

Including Religion, I see! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 20th Feb 2009, 12:56pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Yes Guest even Religion.

Our Chapel Bulletin this week warned us of scams.
Apparently a man claiming to be a new parishioner, borrowing money from Priests or Parishioners.

The other is people posing as Representative of Visa & Mastercard who already have the victims card number, phoning them trying to get the security number so they can perform transactions in his/ her name.

A few weeks ago I had a call from Prudential Insurance Co. asking if I would like to pay our home Contents Insurance right there and then by giving them my card number. Our Annual Bill was due, but there was something about the caller I did not trust, so I told him I would pay it by cheque as usual. We have never been asked to pay it that way any other time and we have been with Prudential 50 years.

The caller did have our correct names and address, which made me wonder if I had thrown one of the Insurance Co. letters in the bin as that is another way fraudsters get your information. Plus the fact that we are ex-directory, so how did he get our phone number.
I usually shred any letters that has information about us in them.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.