Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Central Station, Whats your memory?
stuarty
post 8th Apr 2008, 01:03am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
QUOTE (Isobel @ 7th Apr 2008, 12:05 PM) *
Stuarty my dad worked at Central Station for many years of his life.I guess from the mid fifties till he retired in the early seventies. He was Eddie McCloskey perhaps some of your family may have known him.Whitshisname just loved the pictures you posted. Great memories there.

my uncle and my dad and my brothers worked from the 60ies until my da died when in service and my brothers and uncle retired as the worked for over 30years each plus i would imagine so a bet they did know your dad isobel my da fell down the bothy stairs and it reacted cancer in his lungs and never got back to work he loved his job .as did the rest of the family a will ask my brother willie

--------------------
gie me a wee minite
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tombro
post 8th Apr 2008, 10:12am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Bugger !

I remember that machine too, though I also remember that, after paying to print out my name, I usually spent the next few hours rolling it up and bending it back and forth until it broke !

I'm sure the people who owned it laughed every time they saw me coming with my penny !

Regards,
Tombro wub.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 8th Apr 2008, 01:56pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Stuarty , You mentioned the bothy . Thats what dad called the signal box.I bet they did know each other.Small world eh!

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Tennscot
post 9th Apr 2008, 08:13pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
I think that to every Glaswegian over forty Central Station hold memories embedded in their Psyche of worderfull smells noises excitement of trips to Saltcoats, Rothesay, or us older ones Sleeping on top of cases or up in the net luggage rack on a trip to London,Yanks, Polish Free French and British Soldiers Seamen & Airmen, Long stops during air raid, Cups of tea from the WVS when you reached a station, Scared your mammy wouldnae get back on the train before it took off. Took as long as 12-14 Hours some time.

+Quote Post
*Rosemary*
post 11th Apr 2008, 05:52pm
Post #20

[quote name='Rosemary' date='11th Apr 2008, 05:39 PM' post='194090']
Paws
Family moved from Gourock to "The Vale" during the war before I was born. Getting on the Gourock Train took you right to thr Pier, all the holiday makers go to catch the boat to go "Doon the water for the fair" we travel almost once a month so we could visit our family in Gourock.
I loved reading all the memories and the photo's, thanks for sharing. In 1969 I took my daughter 1 year old through Central Station to the Gourock train. next time I am home I will not rent a car, I feel I am missing all the real life of Glasgow. Remember Ferguson's just around the corner on Renfield Street It had all the coffee display and the cafetiera down stairs I used to go through the Station all the time when I attended business school (Sumlock)

+Quote Post
Jan Williams
post 14th Apr 2008, 10:48am
Post #21

Super Resident
Member No.: 628
Glasgow Cental Station is one of the biggest landmarks in Glasgow and I am sure many of you have lots of memories. For me too many to post but arriving to The Central, just as the train is slowing down and coming over The Clyde, every Glaswegian has that nostalgic blood racing through them. I AM HOME!!!!!

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 24th Apr 2008, 12:44pm
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
From memory (frazzled by years of lager consumption), the Billy Connelly song :

We had a great time, ye coodny wack it
Spent all ma money and pawned ma jacket
And on the train goin' hame
I was hidin' in the lavvy when the ticket man came,
Beedie beedie bare bum,
Tae Glasgow Central.
Last train tae Glasgow Central
If you miss this one, there's never gonny be another one
Beedy beedy bum bum, tae Glasgow Central.

The station is currently in great nick having had a major refurbishment over the last few years. There are plans to do away with the short stay car park and extend platform 11 in its place to accommodate the new Glasgow Airport service which starts in 2012. You get a great view of the whole station sitting outside one of the upstairs bars watching all the hustle and bustle below.
The station is now a victim of its own success as with the big increase in rail travel due to road gridlock, there are not enough platforms to accommodate the increased numbers of passengers and options are being looked at.
There is a whole complex below the station and I remember being in a queue for a Scotland -v- England game at Hampden, being diverted downstairs through a maze of tunnels to be brought up in platform 8 to catch the Mount Florida train.
I use it every day for work / leisure as I live on the southside so I view it mostly as a working station but can appreciate the nostalgia attached to it as I remember the steam trains down the Clyde coast when I was a nipper in the 1950's. Saltcoats at the Fair - but that's another Connelly song for another time !

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 28th Apr 2008, 03:09pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Isobel @ 8th Apr 2008, 02:03 PM) *
Stuarty , You mentioned the bothy . Thats what dad called the signal box.I bet they did know each other.Small world eh!

It was a wee rest room for a cuppa tea and they could have a wee wash etc,,,,, your da probably knew my da and my uncle and my brothers as they joined from early teens but da passed away in 1976,

and ma uncle last year ant the 2 brothers might remember but it was a long time ago and they are retired one at 55years old last year and the other at sixty last year but my sister in law and niece are still in the virgin booking office . small world sometimes eh Isobel a used to love the parties for xmas in the central and polmadie club as a child or a trip to the theatre for the pantomime ,,,,,,,then as we got older it was the circus and the shows at the kelvin hall happy days right enough oh and the summer trip to rosthey then tea cakes and sandwiches in a place up a big hill we had to take a bus do you remember that a wonder wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 28th Apr 2008, 09:10pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
No to be honest I did'nt go on any trips or parties with the central station.I do remember my parents going to a railway mans club., but they also went to the miners club so who knows maybe they did know your family.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Annefiona
post 28th Apr 2008, 11:35pm
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,612
Hi , to those of you who were writing about Glasgow Central and the ones whose family members worked for the railway....My dad, Peter Johnston worked for B.R for over thirty years and has a couple of old group photos of a some trips the Catholic Railway Guild took to Lourdes and also some one on one photos of some of the men he worked with. I would gladly share the photos with anyone who might wish to see them.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 9th Sep 2008, 10:27pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Annefiona, the first time I went to Lourdes, it was overland starting out from the Central Station.

Some carriage's had six people in them with bunk style beds that opened out from the wall. My son and I were more fortunate as we had a carriage for just the two of us and could stretch out on the seats. Blankets and pillows were provided for everyone.
We changed somewhere along the line to a boat over to Calais then another train across France.
Our leader at that time was Bishop Winning better known later on as Cardinal Winning. He went along the corridor stopping off at each carriage for a chat with everyone.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 9th Sep 2008, 11:24pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
my da would not have gone to lourdes as he was on goods trains at polmade first then glasgow central that was in the early 60is until 76 when he died of cancer at 52
wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Elma
post 27th Sep 2008, 06:16pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
My most recent memory of Central Station was this week when I was meeting Maryhillgal, I had just arrived and was looking around, people everywhere, when she came running in waving at me smile.gif I must have been standing just about where the shell used to be, the only place to meet in the old Glasgow.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 27th Sep 2008, 09:29pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Elma the shell now resides in the catering place inside the barras a came accross it last year and have a picture somewhere of it a might get to meet you one day a hope wub.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 28th Sep 2008, 06:02am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
We used to meet under the clock, from memory at platform one , is it still there?

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.