Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Central Station, Whats your memory?
Rab-oldname
post 10th Jan 2004, 07:43pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I think back with great affection for the place. The meetings and leavings, the gladness and the sadness. The sight, sound and smell of the great locomotives. Especially in the days of steam. Do you remember, the clatter of the destination boards, the whistles of engines and guards, the shouts of porters, the slamming of doors. I recall so well my many assignations beneath the Big Clock or by The Shell with the lassies. My father coming home after the war. The tears in his eyes as he saw me off to seek my way in the world. There must be millions of memories of the place - have you any to share?.

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 10th Jan 2004, 07:55pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Ah Rab, even although I've been here all my life, there's something wonderful about Central Station, a bit of magic. Your description was brilliant there it just conjures up the place, the majesty of the station, the memories, the beloved faces coming home, going away, my Grandpa with his soft hat on and overcoat waiting in the queues of folk to get on the train in the late fifties going on holidays. I still feel so nostalgic walking through the Central Station. Nice one! smile.gif I wonder how many times dates would shout out "I'll meet you at the shell" Happy Ghosts!

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 10th Jan 2004, 08:23pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
nice topic Rab my memories of central station is the first time we went to london to visit my older sister who is still there at one time she lived in Islington,ow the excitment of going on the train for such a long ride ,my mammy would make a couple of pieces njam .and when we had to change trains we would stop for a big cuppa tea ,,then in 1989I took my two youngest children to Glasgow and I took them to visit my younger sister who at that time lived in Telford ,it was like magic here Iam taking my children on a trip like my mother took me years ago ,and as you said the banging of the doors and the porters awe sayin you awe right hen ? and yer weans they okay? of yae go and hiv a good holiday,my children were amazed at the friendliness of everyone wink.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Mary48
post 12th Jan 2004, 02:40pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 241
Coming off the train from Manchester one Friday night to hear the old familiar Friday night sounds LOL

aye, the smell, the clock...met some of the #Scotland folk there last time I was home

--------------------
From Larkhall, no that far away really.

+Quote Post
CAT
post 5th Mar 2008, 12:53pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
Hi I'm quite new to this but I love the glasgow memories posts.
Central Station brings back loads of memories.
I'm not weird but I remember the ladies loos quite well. They had loads of big mirrors with nice counters for putting your make up on and big comfy seats. You could get ready for a night out straight from work or touch up your make up before a hot date or if your train was late for the 10p admission you could seat and read you magazine in comfort.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 5th Mar 2008, 03:55pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
the central station still plays a big part in my life,,,,, as most of my family worked and works there even to this day . 3 brothers my dad two nieces and an uncle all were there until death or retierment my ma and myself were the only family members that never worked in the railway and was always going to london as a child to see my aunties in hatfield and another in auldershot happy days sleeping on the string netting when a wee tiny wean in a 6 passenger compartment and still remember that .
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
JacquiG
post 5th Mar 2008, 04:10pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,454
Hi I remember the only place to go at six in the morning when we left the folk club In Sauckiehall steet hated folk but the only place open all night at least untill we got thrown out at 6am .so down to the station for a cup of cofee .The reason for that was to stay out as long as we could as we lied and said we were spending the night with each other that was the days of no phones to get us in trouble. Yes the ladies bathrooms were nice but then they went to shilling who wants to give a silling for the lavvy. remember when we'd hold the door for the next person and the wee wifie would come and shout at yoy I mean If you didn't have sixpence for the big fancy shops what were you supose to do wet yourself I ask you .Now you put a pound in the cart at the grocery store we all know why some would find some reason to take it with them .I live in the states but seem to be getting home sick so thaks this really helps. so thanks to ye all. Jacqui.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 5th Mar 2008, 06:16pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Amazingly enough Central Station still holds that incredible sense of excitement even for me who lives here. There is something magical about the place, it just catches you off guard somehow and you get caught up in the special atmosphere of the place. It conjures up all those childhood memories of going on holiday, bags packed ready to go. Nowhere else is quite like it somehow. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Elma
post 13th Mar 2008, 12:54am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
The Central Station has many fond memories for me too, just thinking about it I can smell the unique "scent" of the place. One thing stands out for me, when we went on holiday I always packed our last minute things in a wee train case that I had got for my honemoon. Well, here we were at the station on our way to Troon for a fortnight in a caravan, we had three children under five the youngest 6 months old. When we got to Troon station and all unloaded from the train with all our luggage, the wee case was missing. My oldest son nearly had a fit as, "my Lego is in that case!!." along with all other important things like my you-know-what pills!! We managed to placate him and off we went to the chemist to replace all those items in the case. To make a long story short (shorter smile.gif) when we returned to Glasgow we went to the Lost Luggage and there was our wee case, some honest person had handed it in, we were all delighted, especially Graeme who was reunited with his prized Lego.

+Quote Post
frankd2
post 19th Mar 2008, 06:17pm
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 5,377
In 1949 I began working in The Commercial Superintendent's Office in the Central Station.
What a wonderful experience that was.
I was lucky enough to see all the visiting film stars,stage stars and M.P.'s etc.
In those far of days a visit underneath the station was an eyeopener.
The general public were completely unaware of how busy it was underground.
Cart horses brought loads of goods for moving throughout the U.K.
I could write a book about the station(if I was talented). rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 19th Mar 2008, 06:50pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
Like many of you i loved going to Central Station,I can always remember the Smell of it even to this day.
It was a magical place for a wee boy to visit,Here are a few pics i took there in 2006.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae

+Quote Post
keelie gal
post 19th Mar 2008, 10:03pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,519
Central Station ...Ahhh the memories you knew it was really time to go on holiday when the taxi took you to central station and the buzz of the place was magic i can remember the clatter of the destination boards clearly ,and the old tobacconist kiosk where you would go and get sweets before you got on the train wub.gif

--------------------
ITS NICE TO BE NICE

+Quote Post
tombro
post 7th Apr 2008, 09:58am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
As a kid, I loved trains and buses ! The steamie from Drumchapel Station to Charing Cross and the walk down to and along Argyle Street was my favourite way of visiting my Granny in Anderston. Even when the trains went electric, from memory in 1960, I still loved to travel by train !

Having that Granny living in Anderston meant I paid many visits to Central Station to look at the trains but that great station also provided my last link with Glasgow.

In December 1960 my family and I left Glasgow from Central Station, catching a train to London and then on to Southampton before embarking on a month long sea trip to Australia !

The pictures posted by 'whitshisname' two weeks ago brought back memories of that Decmber night in 1960, for the overall framework of the station still seems to be the same !

Regards,
Tombro

rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 7th Apr 2008, 11:58am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Stuarty my dad worked at Central Station for many years of his life.I guess from the mid fifties till he retired in the early seventies. He was Eddie McCloskey perhaps some of your family may have known him.Whitshisname just loved the pictures you posted. Great memories there.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Heather
post 7th Apr 2008, 10:23pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Does anyone remember the machine there was in Central Station that you put your money in and could print out your name etc, on a metal strip???????????

When we were young, we left from this Station every year to go our holidays to Saltcoats. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.