Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did You Work On The Glasgow Trams ?, Send me your stories
glasgowken
post 9th Sep 2006, 03:21pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 3,745
Or buses, & Subway. I run a hobby site at, http://glasgowtransport.co.uk

I'm always looking for new things to add, especially the reminiscences of the green staff.
If you're an ex GCT (or GGPTE) employee, why not send me your stories, and i'll add them to the site.

Please drop me an email at, kendeluk@aol.com
Hope to hear from you soon smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sumac
post 17th Oct 2006, 12:26pm
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
Glasgowken, I must tell you a story told to me by the Janny in a school I taught in years ago.

Ron started his working life on the Glasgow trolley buses as a conductor. On his first day his bus was going to the terminus at Riddrie library. When it got there, the driver told Ron to change the direction of the frog (the pole that hung onto the electric wires up above and powered the trolley bus). The driver then went off to use the toilet nearby.
Ron got off the bus and looked up at the frog. How was he going to move it to face the other way? How could he get up to it? He took off his cap and jacket as they were brand new, and he didn't want them dirtied on his first day. Then he slowly and gingerly set about climbing onto the roof of the bus. When he got there, watched by all the folk at the bus stop, he carefully unhooked the frog and re-attached it at the other end. The queue applauded heartily as Ron carefully climbed down.
Just then, the driver re-appeared and slapped Ron across the head!
"Ya daft bugger!" he cried. "Look!" and he pointed to a long pole on the side of the bus. "Ye use that, ya eagit!"
Poor Ron! He was covered in thick, greasy, black muck and all the spectators gave him a hard time. They knew about the Changing Of The Frog, but enjoyed his antics too much to tell him! laugh.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
glasgowken
post 2nd Nov 2006, 06:08am
Post #3

Settling In
Member No.: 3,745
laugh.gif Great story sumac, cheers. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest tina **
post 6th Feb 2008, 06:18pm
Post #4

hi
i didnt work on the trams but my father did at sometime in glasgow possibly in the late 40s early 50s and im trying to find out as much as i can about him as he never spoke about his life before he moved south and married my mum his name was william clark could have been known as bill or billy hope this might jog someones memory as its as if they never exsisted thanks a lot ,,,T

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.