Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Glasgow Trams, ...do you remember these?
GG
post 5th Dec 2003, 06:30pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Here's a short video of Glasgow trams: anyone remember these? Or have any stories about the old trams?

Please leave comments/memories here...

This post has been edited by GG: 28th Oct 2010, 10:38pm

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 5th Dec 2003, 06:40pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
I can only picture them from the Transport museum,but what I do remember is my Grandad pointing out the track area outside Bellahouston Park on Mosspark Boulevard and its still there as a grass verge.He told me a tram went from there to Kelvinside and am sure he said it was a No 3-have no idea why that sticks in my head.Also the grass centre reservation on Gt Western Rd from Anniesland to Knightswod was a tram track as well.Must have been magic to see these when they went through the town.When you visit cities like Amsterdam and Lisbon which have great tram networks and are a joy to use it makes you wonder why we gave them up.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 5th Dec 2003, 06:44pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Wow just noticed something Union St 1962 is the guy in the picture putting a coin on the track for a tram to run over it.I remember my Grandad talking about that.The Woodlands Rd picture is amazing as well -its changed so much but I can still recognise certain things on it,

+Quote Post
Melody
post 5th Dec 2003, 07:02pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
The sound of the trams was brilliant, rumblings and ringing noises as they rolled along the streets, always felt really exciting going on the tram. The wee part at the end upstairs that only you and yer daddy fitted in and you could shut the door and you had it all to yourselves! Right we're on, where are we going? Auchenshuggle next stop, watch that mans roll of linoleum hen!
What joy! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Margaret P
post 5th Dec 2003, 08:41pm
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25
I just loved riding on the tram mind you when I was young there wasen't much else to travel in the odd bus , trolly bus remember them in the fog you could't hear them coming ,I loved the sound of the old trams

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 5th Dec 2003, 10:20pm
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 59
Manys the time I just made the #15 out to Baillieston! Think the other one I could go home on was a #23 - think it left earlier!

Yer tuggin' on the auld heart strings!

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 5th Dec 2003, 11:38pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
For the first ten years of my life I lived on Shettleston Road and I would fall asleep to the sound of the 15 and 23. As I recall the 23 ran eastbound to Garrowhill and the 15 went all the way out to Airdrie. Westbound the 15 went to Anderston and the 23 to Maryhill.

Until I visited some running trams at the Glasgow Garden Festival (was that 1989?) I had forgotten that trams had a quite distinctive smell. I have no idea what the smell was and it is impossible to describe but someone has since suggested that it might have been ozone, generated by the tram's electric motor. I don't know how likely or otherwise that might be but I do know that it was instantly recognizable and quite unique.

Does anyone else remember that smell?

Regards,

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 6th Dec 2003, 01:46am
Post #8

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 59
Hello Luceo:

Amazing how long 'forgotten' things come back! I only needed to get to Garrowhill (said Baillieston) as few folks seem to remember Garrownhill so maybe it was the 23 that I took.

I believe trams did have a distinctive smell (probably stale smoke, chips, pies an black pudding!). I can't describe it either but pretty sure if I smelt it today, memories would be triggered. smile.gif

Where are you hangin yer hat these days?

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 6th Dec 2003, 01:57am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
huh.gif Scotslad, here's one of the routes you mentioned, and it WAS the number 3 tram that went along here. This is from an old tramcar book, and it shows Mosspark housing scheme under construction on Mosspark Boulevard in 1923, with the tram on the right of the picture, and Bellahouston Park behind the tram.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 6th Dec 2003, 02:03am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
wink.gif Scotslad, here's the other centre track you mentioned on Great Western Road. The tram ran from Knightswood to Blairdardie. The picture is from the early 50s.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 6th Dec 2003, 04:30pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Oh George your postings are fantastic-Even today I can recognise the houses on both Gt Western Rd and Mosspark Boulevard.Where did you get these pics from they are incredible.I was in Bellahouston this morning because 2 of the kids were using the dri slope so I went for a wander down to the Boulevard I think I was about 5 when my Grandad told me about the trams there-I have never forgotten that.You triggered off something else for me on the Great Western Rd did they cross the canal or was that a swing bridge at Blairdardie.My Dad is coming over here for Xmas- i can't wait to show him some of these pictures,Cheers George.

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 6th Dec 2003, 05:24pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
smile.gif Scotslad, Here is the caption which accompanies the picture in question:
"Great Western Road's reserved track from Knightswood to Blairdardie was opened in 1949 but further extension was thwarted by the seemingly-insurmountable canal bridge. Contrarily it was a sharp curve in the east end of the city which prevented introduction to this route of more appropriate modern trams than No. 25 shown here. The picture dates from 1954."
The book was published by the Scottish Tramway Museum Society in 1977 at a price of 85p.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 6th Dec 2003, 05:32pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Awsome info George.........the grass verge continues on into Old Drumchapel but I never knew if the tram's crossed the bridge.I guess they never did.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 6th Dec 2003, 05:48pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I was once travelling on an old 'shoogly from Renfrew Cross to Govan with my pal Ronnie who had a pair of pigeons up his jooks. We were sitting up front on the top deck and somewhere about the Royal Docks, the tram took one of those corner 'lurches' (you know what I mean - rib-crackers, if you weren't careful) and the doos flew out Ronnies jacket. Having regained their freedom, they were not going to be re-captured easily. Ronnie and me chased them around the upper deck, praying that the clippie widnae appear - but she did, wondering what the clatter was!. Did we get laldy?. If I remember rightly we got a good price for them after recapture.
Returning home from the jiggin late on a winter Saturday night upstairs on a shoogly with your lumber snuggled up was a nice memory too.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 6th Dec 2003, 06:04pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Rab why on earth would you have pigeons up ur jook on a tram?

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.