Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Queen Mary 2, Trials in Scotland??????????
Fearn
post 12th Oct 2003, 05:15pm
Post #31

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 59
scotslad90 and Welcome Barcker

If you haven’t already found them, a couple of URL’s for the TS Queen Mary-

http://www.queenmary.co.uk/qm_splash.html

http://www.queenmary.co.uk/qm_home.html

Waverley Paddle Steamer
There is a long tradition of sailing "doon the watter" on the Clyde, but the Waverley is one of the last survivors (though there is now a ferry service from Glasgow to Braehead and there are plans to start a new high-speed ferry service to Dunoon). The Waverley is the world’s last sea-going paddle steamer and was launched in 1947, replacing another vessel of the same name, which was lost during the evacuation of British troops from Dunkirk. The ship is nearly 240 feet long but only 30 feet wide. Originally coal-fired, she now runs on oil.

Initially, she provided services from Craigendoran in the Firth of Clyde but later provided excursions around the estuary and from the centre of Glasgow at Broomielaw (where the picture above was taken). But in 1973 she was withdrawn from commercial service - a victim of continental holidays and increasing maintenance costs.

Fortunately, the Waverley was sold to the Paddle Steamer Preservation Society - for the price of one pound. In addition to providing excursions sailing around the Clyde during the summer season, the ship also gains revenue by sailing on the south coast of England.

and a pic
Attached File(s)
Attached File  waverley723g.jpg_ ( 23.03K )

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marg
post 12th Oct 2003, 05:34pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13
Try and Imagine coming from Scotland in this compared to the QEII with 275 people on board .

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
God Bless this wee house!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 12th Oct 2003, 08:15pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Brilliant information Fearn I had no idea the old Queen Mary11 had gone to London..The first time am in London I will go along and have a look at her once again.Thanks for researching all this information.

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 12th Oct 2003, 10:50pm
Post #34

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Marg @ 12th Oct 2003, 01:51 PM)
Try and Imagine coming from Scotland in this compared to the QEII with 275 people on board .

Marg - what ship is this? Where, when???? More info. please

+Quote Post
Marg
post 12th Oct 2003, 11:02pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry I forgot to add that this is the Ship Hector sailed from Greenock Scotland in July 1773 to Pictou Nova Scotia canada sept 1773 with more than 275 passengers 18 died in voyage

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 12th Oct 2003, 11:20pm
Post #36

Super City Key Holder
QUOTE (Marg @ 12th Oct 2003, 07:19 PM)
Sorry I forgot to add that this is the Ship Hector sailed from Greenock Scotland in July 1773 to Pictou Nova Scotia canada sept 1773 with more than 275 passengers 18 died in voyage

Marg - have you found the passenger list of the Hector - if not see this

http://www.rootsweb.com/~pictou/hector1.htm

+Quote Post
jock
post 13th Oct 2003, 03:21am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Fearn, thanks for the info. on the first Queen Mary.I sailed on her across to boy scout camp in Dunoon several times. Later I sailed on the BIG queen Mary from Southampton to New York when I came to the U.S.

This post has been edited by jock: 13th Oct 2003, 03:27am

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 13th Oct 2003, 07:35am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Fearn you have come up trumps yet again...and Marg also ,the information on the Hector is totally amazing .I have just had a quick look and now I am keen to check out all the connecting links.I have strong family ties to Canada going back over many generations but I know very little about the emigrants who left Scotland back in the 18th C. and settled in places like Nova Scotia.They must have had a very difficult time,275 passengers on a ship no bigger than a sloop and crossing the North Atlantic-true pioneers.

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 13th Oct 2003, 02:04pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
great picture of The Hector Marg, but no way could imagine being on that ship coming all the way across the Atlantic talk about being seasick. Hey Jock what year did you come to the US my sister came over on the QM Oct of 58, I myself came over on the Brittanic, Fearn you got that right about life being good looking forward to my sail on the QM2, but a wee bit confused here isnt the QM a resturant now in California, or are you all meaning the original QM???? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Marg
post 13th Oct 2003, 04:02pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
The world's most famous luxury liner is bidding farewell to Nova Scotia.

The Queen Elizabeth 2, flagship of the Cunard Steamship Line that was founded by Halifax-born Samuel Cunard in 1840, is on its last transatlantic voyage.

The 292-metre, 63,000-tonne ship called at Halifax on Thursday where officials put on a special reception. Today the big boat visits Sydney, where Samuel Cunard worked as an agent for the General Mining Association and also had a ship named the Cape Breton.

Futher details can be found in october 10th addition of the Halifax Hearald on line

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+Quote Post
Robbie
post 13th Oct 2003, 04:24pm
Post #41

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 122
out

This post has been edited by Robbie: 2nd Nov 2003, 11:58am

--------------------
Slainte !

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 14th Oct 2003, 12:57am
Post #42

Super City Key Holder
Gemini - The RMS Queen Mary is now the hotel in Long Beach, California. Never stayed there but hear that she's not as well looked after as could be hoped.

I'm a good sailor but crossing the Atlantic in The Hector might have changed my mind! Our ancestors were obviously a hardy bunch! Reading the passenger list, note that there were 20 Frasers on board - Mum was a Fraser.

When did you sail the Britannic?

Going through old files I came upon the attached. I was a tourist Class Pax in a double cabin, April, 1953. Of all my T-A crossings, that was the roughest - ropes and tarps were up on all open decks for the entire trip - Liverpool to New York, I think it took about 10 days back then.

A friend was emigrating to Canada and was convinced she would never make it! Her constant comment to me was "Why the hell did I allow you to talk me into this?" Have to tell you, I was worried but she recovered about 2 days before we reached N.Y.

Length: 214 m - Beam: 24,7 m - Brt: 27 943 t
Built: 1930 Harland & Wolff, Belfast, Northern Ireland
Operator: Cunard White Star
Speed: 18 kn - Passengers: 1553 . (Sister ship: Georgic (1932))

She was scrapped in Inverkeithing, Scotland, in 1960.

Sorry......Tried to post pics - too large - have to see about reducing. sad.gif

+Quote Post
hubert
post 14th Oct 2003, 01:10am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
Had breakfast on the QM in Long Beach!

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 14th Oct 2003, 01:37am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Gemini and Fearn, here's your Brittanic. I used to see her in New York Harbour when I was on the "Queen of Bermuda" berthed nearby. (See next post).

This post has been edited by George Muir: 14th Oct 2003, 01:41am
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 14th Oct 2003, 01:45am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Queen of Bermuda passing Statue of Liberty.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.