Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Queen Mary 2, Trials in Scotland??????????
wee mags
post 10th Oct 2003, 08:34pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
is it awe right if I tell you of my seeing the Q.E2 right in the long Island sound ,my neighbour who has the boat says hey margaret how would you mike and the weans like to go out to the sound and see your homland ship? well!! says mags am no too sure its alright its just off the Island here inNorwalk so I said okay,so the next morning 6am.off wee go first stop at Dunkin donuts for coffee,and donuts,[ihad brought ma tea ],intae the boat weans put on their lifprsevers awe bundled up for their adventure to see this big wonderful ship,it was as I said early in the morning but there were quite a few boats out there to see it ,as we aproched the long island sound there in all its glory was this magnificent ship lits all over the placd ma weans sayin get closer,me sayin thats it lets get back to shore as the waves were getting a wee bit rough and I had visions of the big ship takin aff and us gettin dragged by the swell as this was just a wee boat,but I will never forget seeing it and some times the kidssay " remember the time we went to see the ship and mammy chickened out?" rolleyes.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 10th Oct 2003, 09:33pm
Post #17

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
like to twell folk i worked on the qe2. truth is i did but hated it.Worked for otis elevator at the time and to work on the qe2 was like working on a prison ship. Only did it for about two weeks and then was off somewhere else ...thank god....however it is nice to say nowadays..."i worked on the qe2"

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 10th Oct 2003, 10:07pm
Post #18

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 59
QUOTE (andypisces @ 10th Oct 2003, 05:50 PM)
like to twell folk i worked on the qe2. truth is i did but hated it.Worked for otis elevator at the time and to work on the qe2 was like working on a prison ship. Only did it for about two weeks and then was off somewhere else ...thank god....however it is nice to say nowadays..."i worked on the qe2"

andypisces: PM me and I'll steer ye tae a Board wi several ex QE2 (and earlier) folks - ye might jist meet up wi some auld friens! smile.gif

I sailed her - she's no all she's cracked up to be!

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 10th Oct 2003, 10:23pm
Post #19

Super City Key Holder
Now here's a pic of the QE2 - very different from the QM2 - somewhere I have a pick of the original Queen Mary - jist canna find it the noo........ AAACH ahm real frustrated!!!!!!!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
hubert
post 10th Oct 2003, 11:54pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
My mother lived in the first high rise apartment going towards Dalmuir across the canal bridge, i saw from her windae the QE2 going on her maiden voyage backing into the Clyde, prince Charles was on the bridge, the wan on the ship no the canal bridge! LoL

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 11th Oct 2003, 12:15am
Post #21

Super City Key Holder
Think ahm losin' it guys............ahm lookin' for the QE2 - very different from the QM2
Attached File(s)
Attached File  qe2.jpgQE2 ( 97.97K )

+Quote Post
Denis Fallon
post 11th Oct 2003, 01:39am
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 293
I haven't been on the board for weeks. My wife had a total knee replacement in mid September and I have been busy cooking and tending. Just got an opportunity to sit down this evening and ran across the items about QE2 and QM2. This brings backa flood of memories. My uncle Pat Fallon worked in the steering engine department at John Browns and went with the Queen Mary on her sea trials and measured mile in 1936. My father, Arthur Fallon was an engineer at sea but had come ashore in New York in the early thirties. I have apicture he took of her as she made her maiden entry into New York Harbor in the summer of 1936. I grew up reading ShipBuilding News which my uncle sent from Glasgow regularly.
I saw her again in 1946 as she was in the Clyde for re-fit after war service. Upon my return to New York I applied for work in the New York Office of Cunard and was hired. I was aboard her after her arrival in New York on her maiden post war trip. I also sailed on the orig inal Queen Elizabeth in 1950 and made voyages on the Parthia, Caronia and the second Mauritania.

In my opinion, the original Queen Mary (now in Long Beach, CA) was the most handsome ship ever to come out of the Clyde. The first Queen Elizabeth was utilitarian but not truly a beauty.

I guess I'm too old fashioned to really cotton to the QE2 or the QM2. I have taken cruises in the Cunard Princess and her sister the Cunard Countess as well as acouple of P&O ships. THese new ships are comfortable and commodious but as far as I am concerned are like floating hotels.

Nothing beats a photo I had but have lost which showed the first Queen Mary running the measured mile with a huge white bone in her teeth.

Good Luck to her successor.

--------------------
Denis

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 11th Oct 2003, 04:12pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Good posting Dennis-I agree with you the original Queen Mary is still a beautiful liner-a classic and my own Grandfather was on her original trials and her maiden voyage to New York.He took me down to the tail of the bank when the QE2 left the Clyde and although the ship did not impress him much I was stunned by it.I remember him taking me down to Clydebank when the ship was still being built-I would be about 6 and it was mega awsome looking up at this monster .The old man lived for ships it was just part of his being and he he would take me on Saturday to the Art Galleries then and show me the models of all the famous Clyde liners-theyare now in the Transport Museum in the Kelvin Hall and he had stories about every single one of them.I think in those days I thought he had built them all single handed but thats what Granda's are for -hero worship.Today what remains on the Clyde is undergoing a re birth but for Naval ships and even though it is great for apprenticeships and all associated trades it would have broken his heart to think that the Clyde could not build the QM11.I will still make a point of going down to Fairlie to watch her run the measured mile next month but she is not a Cunarder.

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 11th Oct 2003, 05:14pm
Post #24

Super City Key Holder
Denis and scotslad90 - great posts!

Please, if you take any pictures post them

Here's the QM during her wartime service "The Grey Ghost"

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 11th Oct 2003, 07:33pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Fearn you have posted some tremendous pictures and articles on the Queens and I cannot thank you enough for that.Does your family have a history going back to the old Queens and other Clyde built ships.

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 11th Oct 2003, 10:51pm
Post #26

Super City Key Holder
Thanks Scotslad, I'm glad you found them interesting - there's more if you're interested……PM me. I've no claim to fame - I just love ships and the seas.

My first shipboard experience (when I was about 3) was an overnight trip from Stranraer to Larne (no longer available) - of course it was rough - Mum succumbed first, shortly followed by my Dad. Bright as a button and rarin’ to go, I'm told I was handed into the care of a Stewardess- and reported back the following morning that 'she was a nice lady and I had lots and lots of ice cream!" Kids!

My first real voyage was in 1939 - we sailed for Canada for a visit with Mum's brother and arrived back in Greenock no more than a week before war broke out.

We sailed from Greenock on The Duchess of Richmond. It was blowing a gale when we left and poor Mum (bless her) spent the first 2 days in bed – what I’m told is referred to ‘as the meeting of the waters’ frequently throws unaccustomed sailors off balance – fortunately, she quickly found her sea legs. The highlight of that trip for me was being bundled in a blanket and taken on deck to see (I think - correct me please if I'm wrong) The Empress of Canada carrying the King and Queen back to the UK from their first Canadian tour - searchlights, fireworks, streamers, balloons, whistles and horns blaring from both ships…….for sure a night to remember - I’d graduated to hot chocolate and biscuits by then! We came home on The Duchess of York – believe she was torpedoed early in the war.

Of course I immigrated to Canada by ship (The Samaria) and returned home (as I’d promised!) a year later – Canada had stolen part of my heart so it was back here 8 months later. Since that first crossing I've logged a total of 10.

Cruising, as distinct from ‘crossings’ has become our favourite holiday – not though on any of today’s behemoths, I call them floating apartment blocks……why anyone would want to rock climb, ice skate or traipse around shopping malls at sea is beyond me! But, to each his own – there are ships and itineraries that cater to all tastes. We’re off for 2 weeks on the MAASDAM (Holland America Line) in November – and I just can’t wait!! biggrin.gif

P.S. I'm saving up for a QM2 crossing! She's a bit big for my liking but...........

Cheers

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 12th Oct 2003, 09:15am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Wow Fearn what an amazing story, you have travelled on ships that I have just heard and read about.I have never sailed across the Atlantic or even been on a cruise but I agree with you the new cruise ships just don't do it for me.I would have loved to travel on one of the original Queen's or the QE11 and I still want to see the QM11.Did you know that when they built the first QM there was Clyde steamer with that name.It had to be changed to QM11 to allow the Cunarder to take the name-because she was being named after King George V 's wife..My grandad told me that Cunard wanted to name her Victoria but when they approached the King he misunderstood and thought it was a tribute to his own wife.Well the QM11 was still doing the "doon the Clyde run" to Rothesay and Tighnabruaich when i was a boy back in the sixties.She was replaced later by the Waverley-the worlds last going paddle steamer.I was taken on her loads of times, was as exciting as an Atlantic crossing when I was a wee lad.They must have scrapped her otherwise Cunard could not use QM11 for the new ship or if she is still sailing she must be QM 111 now.The best i have done so far are overnight ferry crossing's to Europe-Holland ,Germany,Scandinavia and a 3 day sail round the Orkney's and Shetland and yes I have been sea sick a few times but I still love it.

+Quote Post
Barcker
post 12th Oct 2003, 12:51pm
Post #28

Settling In
Member No.: 468
ScotsLad , the Waverley sails out on the Bristol Channel now , along with the Balmoral.

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 12th Oct 2003, 03:24pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
in April of thids year I took a 12 day cruise to the Carribean on the QE2, and we were giving a seminar on the QM2 which makes her debut in NY in January, I am already booked for a 4 day cruise to nowhere in July of next year, then in January of 2005, the Queen Victoria makes her debut, as for the QE2 she was refurbished and looks great and slices through the waters ever so gracefully beautiful ship and personel on board were from various countries we had a great time on her.

This post has been edited by Gemini: 12th Oct 2003, 03:26pm

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 12th Oct 2003, 04:54pm
Post #30

Super City Key Holder
Gemini - it is the life isn't it! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.