Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Great North Of Scotland Railway, A wee bittie o't
quester
post 19th Jun 2005, 09:18am
Post #1

Resident
Member No.: 2,094
Hi there it's your local glekkit loon agin.

We were discussing Royalty and their attitude to the Scots and I mentioned that King George VI used to wave to me from the Royal Train as it travelled from Aberdeen to Ballatar. The railway ran on an embankment at the bottom of our garden and Ballater trains would pass about 7 mins. after leaving Aberdeen Station.

(I am trying to find pics of the line as it was but with little luck. Last time I FORGOT to enclose the pic!! Then I was told to 'get back on topic'.)

Well here it is.

The wee mannie on the left is our neighbour Dr. Innes and his wife is in the middle. The dapper gent on the right is my late father. The interesting object however, is the "thingie" growing out of his shoulder. Railway buffs will recognise it as the lattice post of a G.N.S.R. signal on the up line to Aberdeen. It must have been taken down at the beginning of the war as I have no memory of it.

This post has been edited by quester: 19th Jun 2005, 06:20pm

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the urban spaceman = floating on a moonbeam
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.