Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buses
Purplefan
post 17th May 2013, 03:06pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
I miss the old glasgow corperation buses.
Do any of you remember the stupid slogan of kelvin buses i think?
I'm yer bus!!

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 21st May 2013, 09:53pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
It's deer on the bus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwstbc3OoiA...be_gdata_player

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 28th May 2013, 02:57pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
maybe it was trying to get to a fawn [pawn] shop?
laugh.gif

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
CAT
post 28th May 2013, 03:18pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
This topic reminds me of when I was wee and would visit an Aunty, on leaving she we would give me "a sweety fur the bus" ah used tae think the bus canae eat sweeties laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 28th May 2013, 03:57pm
Post #35

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
The main reason for the buses doing long routes is to do with money. After deregulation of the buses, the government would pay the bus company money to cover concession fares. Every area the bus entered entitled the bus company to money for concessions. So you now get buses that can run empty and still make a profit due to them running from on side of the city to the other, whilst driving thru as many area's as possible.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 4th Jun 2013, 09:45am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Glasgow had the biggest tram/bus system in the world.
would love to see the trams back in the old city again.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
CAT
post 4th Jun 2013, 09:54am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 4th Jun 2013, 09:53am) *
Glasgow had the biggest tram/bus system in the world.
would love to see the trams back in the old city again.

Purple have you been to Edinburgh recently? NO No No No !!!
I have to go there for business often and some times for pleasure ( yes seriously) the upheavel that it has caused has been unbelievable never mind the cost for a few miles of tram line. Don't get me wrong I know Edinburgh Council messed up big time but it's still not worth it.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 6th Jun 2013, 03:21am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
I live in Manchester and our tram system is growing all the time.
Its brought in millions of pounds in revinue, and disruption was
kept to a minimum.

Oldham being the exception, but it is nearly finished,and bolton and wigan are next in line, as well as Ashton
and staylebridge.
Edinburgh was a cock up, and Glasgow can learn from it.
Is Edinburgh tramwayopened yet?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Ruchazie Rat
post 5th Jul 2013, 03:26pm
Post #39

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,702
Hi Purplefan, Oh the stories l could tell? no half! I worked as a driver out of Gartcraig Garage in 1973-74. That was a life changing experience.

Hi, Foxy52. Back in early 70`s, during summer hols, we used to pop along south embankment of canal running behind garage and stakeout things. Thanks to lie of land, we could sit under cover above garage perimeter`s high north wall, with bottom of small slope leading up to canal`s south embankment behind us. That way we could spy buses driving in from Gartcraig Road after shift, along west side of garage, towards enormous bus shower in garage forecourt.

In between outgoing/incoming buses, we`d jump down 8-10 feet wall, run over to shower, jump on the ground rollers tripping overhead water sprinklers. Great way to cool down in scorching heat! Yes -- we even had sun during summer back in them days!

Bet you drivers remember us little pains-in-the-arses, eh?

+Quote Post
Coyle
post 6th Jul 2013, 12:16am
Post #40

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,121
Can anybody remember the 64 Bus that went to Auchenshuggle .Great memories were had on that bus.! When I dogged school we went on the 64 to Kelvin hall museum. I lived in Prosen Street and my stop was the terminus at Auchenshuggle..I went to the Good Shepherd then onto St Mary's Bridgeton.

Peter

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 6th Jul 2013, 05:57am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Glasgow was all set for new tram system back in 1997(?) but there were objections,I think from bus groups and the whole project was just allowed to die.Quite sad because had it gone ahead it would be fully functional by now.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 6th Jul 2013, 10:38am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Jupe,

The 'bus groups' are exactly why the trams were phased out in the first place in the early sixties. Glasgow City Authorities (in Council Chambers) were obviously persuaded, by 'the powers that be' within the oil companies, that they could provide support for cheaper and more modern transport systems.

Sadly, despite the protestations of those in charge of Glasgow Corporation Transport to the contrary, trams were disposed of.

Perhaps some of those Glasgow City Authorities of the late 1950s (if they are still alive) might now be prepared to change their decision, in terms of the fact that electricity has always proved to be a much cheaper alternative as the driver of transport systems, no matter where you go in the world !

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 6th Jul 2013, 11:10am
Post #43

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
QUOTE (Ruchazie Rat @ 5th Jul 2013, 11:34am) *
Hi, Foxy52. Back in early 70`s, during summer hols, we used to pop along south embankment of canal running behind garage and stakeout things. Thanks to lie of land, we could sit under cover above garage perimeter`s high north wall, with bottom of small slope leading up to canal`s south embankment behind us. That way we could spy buses driving in from Gartcraig Road after shift, along west side of garage, towards enormous bus shower in garage forecourt.

In between outgoing/incoming buses, we`d jump down 8-10 feet wall, run over to shower, jump on the ground rollers tripping overhead water sprinklers. Great way to cool down in scorching heat! Yes -- we even had sun during summer back in them days!

Bet you drivers remember us little pains-in-the-arses, eh?

Purplefan, l thought you came from Possil? whit the hell wur ye daen in Cranhill?. To be honest, the drivers very seldom ran the busses through the wash, that was the mechanics job, we only did it if we knew there was a sleeping drunk on board. Here is a wee sample of the stuff we used to get up to................

Depending on the time of day, sometimes we had to "pick the bus up" on the street when re leaving a crew. One of the easiest was the 46 route from Cranhill to Castlemilk My conductor and l would purposely be a few minutes late to change over. We had found a blind mans white cane, l would put sunglasses on and have the conductor help up into the cab. Well, the stares we would get, he would be trying to reassure the punters that we had it all worked out, he would shout out the wee sliding window all my instructions, turn left, turn right, stop, go. You never seen a bus empty so fast in your life. He would be telling them "oh he's ok" as long as l shout out he's fine. The punters would be telling him, "no its ok, we will wait for the next bus"
Fun Times
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 15th Jul 2013, 06:15am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Passenger interface assistants wanted huh.gif
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-23...-conductor.html

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.