Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buses
bilbo.s
post 9th May 2013, 06:25pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
A 747 tae the Southern General? Didnae think the runway wis long enough! laugh.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 9th May 2013, 07:25pm
Post #17

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 9th May 2013, 11:15am) *
many thanks foxy. I bet you could tell some stories?
I miss the old livery of Green and gold for the Glasgow corperation.
first trust, dont sound right.
What make of bus was the best to drive?

Hi Purplefan, Oh the stories l could tell? no half! I worked as a driver out of Gartcraig Garage in 1973-74. That was a life changing experience. The funniest one actually never involved me, it seems that the number 51 which ran from Queenslie to Douglas St, left the town one Saturday night.It got to Queenslie with no problems, at the terminus there apparently was a wee drunk man who had fallen asleep. The crew couldn't get him to wake up. Well, it was the end of their shift and they took the bus back to the garage, One of the requirements was that the bus had to go through the bus wash at the end of every day.The conductor opened all the little sliding windows around where the wee drunk man was still asleep.A mechanic had to take the bus through the wash. Of course you can guess the outcome, the wee guy woke up soaked.
As far as what bus was best to drive? l liked the Leyland Atlantean the best, everything was air and hydraulic, you could steer that thing with one finger, the worst was the older Diamler, our garage used them mostly on the old 35 route, North Carntyne to Barlornock. All the busses were what was called pre-select they had gear shifts, but were semi automatics. The Diamlers had the shifter on the steering column, but they also had a foot pedal that worked like a clutch.The difference was that you could move the shifter then you had to press the pedal to engage the clutch. If you did not press the pedal firmly, then it somehow became disengaged, the pedal would push back against you, and if you weren't prepared for it it would push your foot up so high that your knee would hit you on the chin. I seen some guys come out of those Diamlers looking like they had a square go, blood pouring out of their mouths.
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 9th May 2013, 08:51pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 9th May 2013, 06:42pm) *
A 747 tae the Southern General? Didnae think the runway wis long enough! laugh.gif

laugh.gif you'll never guess where that bus goes.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 10th May 2013, 02:36pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
This long bus journey topic brought an old poem by Ian Dury to mind. His father was a bus driver and these lines were penned out of respect for him. Glasgow isn't the subject of it...London is, but maybe some of you clever wordsmiths out there could convert it to fit with Glasgow bus journeys.

The Bus Driver's Prayer

Our Father,
Who art in Hendon
Harrow Road be Thy name
Thy Kingston come
Thy Wimbledon
InErith as it is in Hendon.
Give us this day our Berkhampstead
And forgive us our Westminsters
As we forgive those who Westminster against us.
Lead us not into Temple Station
And deliver us from Ealing,
For thine is the Kingston The Purley and the Crawley,
For Iver and Iver Crouch End?

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 12th May 2013, 03:10pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
yes, old Ian had a nack with the worlds.
shame he will be remembered by his hit "Hit me with your rhythm sticks"
He penned much more intelligent lyrics than that.

I remember the old 54 bus that went to Milton from penilee.
I heard the number 9 bendy bus from the drum, is going to penilee?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 12th May 2013, 05:47pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Aye the 9 might even go all the way to paisley? Def seen it on PRW.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 12th May 2013, 09:43pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
If it goes all the way to paisley, then it must be the longest bus route?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 12th May 2013, 10:37pm
Post #23

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
The 9 causes loads of confusion, as the destination can be Penilee, Paisley, Linwood or Braehead in one direction, and Drumchapel or Buchanan Bus Station in the other. It seems to be too difficult for FirstBus to give each route a different number, or name them 9A, 9B, 9C, etc.

I think the 90 from Partick to Braehead might be one of the longest routes now. It used to operate the inner/outer circle route along with the 89. But the 89 was scrapped, and the 90 no longer goes through the Clyde Tunnel. It goes via Maryhill, Springburn, Parkhead, Mount Florida, Ibrox, Govan, etc.

It too causes a lot of confusion for visitors and out patients who board it at the Southern General for what they think is a 10 or 15 minute journey through the Clyde Tunnel to Partick, and they end up on a 2 hour sightseeing tour around Glasgow instead.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 12th May 2013, 10:42pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
hi dc, the 90 used to be the outer used to pick it up at Balmore road, and it went right round the city.
So, dose that mean these is only one circle bus now?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 12th May 2013, 10:57pm
Post #25

Super Lord Provost
Hi Purplefan, the circle is now broken as it no longer goes through the Clyde Tunnel. It operates as a 90 in both directions between Partick and Braehead via most of Glasgow !! Because it is such a long route, it very rarely runs to time either.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 14th May 2013, 02:15pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (d.c. @ 12th May 2013, 11:14pm) *
Hi Purplefan, the circle is now broken as it no longer goes through the Clyde Tunnel. It operates as a 90 in both directions between Partick and Braehead via most of Glasgow !! Because it is such a long route, it very rarely runs to time either.

what buses do d.c? it was a great bus as it ran through some of Glasgow most famous land marks.

Byres road; partick, kelvin grove art galleries and parks; clyde tunnel; Ibrox stadium and the Barrars. springburn, and possilpark it was a great bus if you just wanted to kill time on.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 14th May 2013, 06:58pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
I remember as a kid going to school from Cardonald to Govan I would stand at the bus stop and watch the No 23 or 23a coming up Tweedsmuir road from Paisley road west. It would slowly chug it's way up the hill to the stop but after that it was all downhill almost to Govan !!

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 14th May 2013, 08:16pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
I vaguely remember the 62 that ran to clydebank i thiink
but i am pretty sure my memory is playing tricks.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 14th May 2013, 11:27pm
Post #29

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 14th May 2013, 02:32pm) *
what buses do d.c? it was a great bus as it ran through some of Glasgow most famous land marks.

Byres road; partick, kelvin grove art galleries and parks; clyde tunnel; Ibrox stadium and the Barrars. springburn, and possilpark it was a great bus if you just wanted to kill time on.

You can still use the 90 Purplefan, to kill time and see all the sites. The only difference is that it is no longer one way or a circular route. It operates in both directions between Partick and Braehead, and the circle is broken because it no longer uses the Clyde Tunnel.

The change would mainly affect anyone wanting to make what was previously a short trip through the tunnel between Partick and Govan or the Southern General. Instead of taking minutes on the 89/90, it would now take 2 hours on the 90.

First Bus 90 Timetable

Service 189 was introduced to operate that shorter journey through the tunnel between Partick and Govan, but there are major changes to First Bus services at the end of this month and I am not sure whether that route is one of those being cut.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 15th May 2013, 09:48am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
d.c., my biggest complaint about First Bus is you never can tell where your bus will go as they change routes, numbers destinations, etc with such regularity. Either that or an entirely new number and route will appear. The plan was apparently to limit the number of buses passing through the city centre because of congestion, so they split routes in the middle with almost everything going to Buchanan St bus station. They used to sell wee maps for £1 with the routes on but they were out of date almost as soon as they were printed.

If you live near a main road there's usually access to buses but hard luck if you're in a scheme or housing estate (that's the same as a scheme but you only get them in posh bits of the town rolleyes.gif ). Try the route finder sometime (if you want a laugh that is), almost always involves more walking that bus travel. It once gave me a journey time of more than 14 hours for a trip across the city as there wasn't a connecting bus until the next day laugh.gif

Naw, ah didnae go tongue.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.