Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Buses
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 04:27am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
I was trying to think what would be Glasgow's longest bus route?
Their seams to be so many different bus companies now.
Does the 28 bus still go through possil?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th May 2013, 06:03am
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Purplefan, I'm not sure, but, in terms of today's buses there are quite a few routes that go from one side of the city to the other. For example, the 45 service goes from Auchinairn to Thornliebank. Over the years, I've found that the number 46 is an epic route, not so much for the distance as the crow flies, but because of the meandering it does on the way! The route has recently changed again, and now it goes from Easterhouse to Castlemilk – a fair distance within city boundaries.

I don't recall the 28 going to Possil, doesn't now, sorry.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 9th May 2013, 06:22am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
The No. 20 would have been in contention.

It ran from East Kilbride to Drumchapel via Rutherglen, Gorbals,George Square , St. Vincent Street, Hope St.Anniesland.

The round trip was 6 hours.

It now runs from George Square to Drumchapel and the other part of the journey, EK to George Sq. has been replaced by 21.

I think the 66 does all the Hospitals and is a fair round trip.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 9th May 2013, 08:23am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
The 28 stopped running years ago and was replace by the 75, going from Milton to Castlemilk. The 54 still goes along Saracen St. Mary

+Quote Post
tombro
post 9th May 2013, 09:17am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Dylan,

Isn't it great that the No 20 now runs from George Square to 'theDrum'.

In fact, if it runs along Great Western Road from St George's Cross to Drumry Road and then into Dunkenny Road, turning down Achamore Road and onto Kinfauns Drive to proceed and turn left into Peel Glenn Road and terminate there, it is following the exact same route it followed when I lived in 'theDrum' in 1955 to 1960 !

I guess that's progress for you !

Tombro laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 01:57pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
when i was a young unemployed lad i used to sit on the circle bus the 89 and 90.
It was a cracking journey well over an hour, went through partick; govan; southern general;
I am sorry to hear GG that the 28 is no longer.
It used to go to Milton through Ashfield street where the old depot used to be, , and up barloch street, on to Saracen street, and up pass the blind craft, where it would turn on to the possil road, and would terminate at the back of the central station.

so what buses go through possil then?
I remember the 54, goes to penilee, and the 47 went to the city center from Milton.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 9th May 2013, 02:12pm
Post #7

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
The number 46 used to run from Cranhill to Castlemilk, l drove that route many times when l drove the busses.It was not a good run on a Friday and Saturday night, full of drunks. As soon as the bus hit Brigton Cross, thats where the fun would start I think the longest run out of Gartgraig Garage back then was the one from Robroyston to Knightswood, l think it was a number 10 or maybe 11
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 02:58pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
many thanks foxy. I bet you could tell some stories?
I miss the old livery of Green and gold for the Glasgow corperation.
first trust, dont sound right.
What make of bus was the best to drive?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 9th May 2013, 03:03pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Purplefan @ 9th May 2013, 03:14pm) *
It used to go to Milton through Ashfield street where the old depot used to be, , and up barloch street, on to Saracen street, and up pass the blind craft, where it would turn on to the possil road, and would terminate at the back of the central station.

so what buses go through possil then?
I remember the 54, goes to penilee, and the 47 went to the city center from Milton.

Purplefan, I think your memory is playing tricks biggrin.gif

The 28 came down Ashfield St, turned right at the (now demolished) Possil Garage onto Hawthorn St, then left onto Saracen St. The terminus, when I used it, was at the back of the Pavillion Theatre although I think it moved to somewhere else at a later date.

As Mary said earlier, the 75 now goes to Milton through Possil and the 54 still runs to Cadder.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 9th May 2013, 03:45pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
The 75 goes along Balmore Rd, turning at Hawthorn St, up Ashfield St then Ashgill Rd, Scaraway St to the terminus at Skerry St at the back end of Milton. The 47 went up Balmore Rd, turning at, the now gone, Glen Douglas onto Ashgill Rd, Birsay Rd and then Liddesdale Rd, terminating at Liddesdale Square. Sometime in the late 70s, early 80s it was changed to a 48. The original terminus was on Renfield St where the EveningTimes/Herald office is now, then it moved to Renfrew St at the side of the Apollo. Mary

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 03:55pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 9th May 2013, 03:20pm) *
Purplefan, I think your memory is playing tricks biggrin.gif

The 28 came down Ashfield St, turned right at the (now demolished) Possil Garage onto Hawthorn St, then left onto Saracen St. The terminus, when I used it, was at the back of the Pavillion Theatre although I think it moved to somewhere else at a later date.

As Mary said earlier, the 75 now goes to Milton through Possil and the 54 still runs to Cadder.

Ashfield many thanks.
That's why i love this forum, Its been a while since i was in Glasgow so my
memory is a bit fuzzy with old age. Nothing to do with the buckfast and white lightning. biggrin.gif

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 03:56pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 9th May 2013, 04:02pm) *
The 75 goes along Balmore Rd, turning at Hawthorn St, up Ashfield St then Ashgill Rd, Scaraway St to the terminus at Skerry St at the back end of Milton. The 47 went up Balmore Rd, turning at, the now gone, Glen Douglas onto Ashgill Rd, Birsay Rd and then Liddesdale Rd, terminating at Liddesdale Square. Sometime in the late 70s, early 80s it was changed to a 48. The original terminus was on Renfield St where the EveningTimes/Herald office is now, then it moved to Renfrew St at the side of the Apollo. Mary

Thats magic. many thanks.
It is a bit of a sad hobby of mine Glasgow buses.
One day i hope to go to the new transport museum.

when did the glen douglas go?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Tam C
post 9th May 2013, 05:25pm
Post #13

Super Resident
Member No.: 10,534
Was totally confused when I was in Glasgow a couple of weeks ago not only had the routes changed even the numbers were all changed ,hard to get my head round that even felt stupid asking people where I could catch such and such a number and recieve typical Glesga answer AW SON THAT VANISHED YEARS AGO . Cheers Tam C

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 9th May 2013, 05:42pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
lol Liked that typical reply,... how did ye no know? lol

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 9th May 2013, 06:11pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
I used to get a 15 from (nearly) drumchapel to hillington. The Drum terminus was on Gt Western Road outside the old Goodyear factory (middle of naewhere).
Also would get a 19 through the tunnel to visit my auntie in Govan. In more recent years I got a bus (forget the no.) on Byres Rd to go to visit someone in the Southern Gen. I thought it would go through the tunnel. It didnae. It went into town, over to Shawlands, then to Silverburn (Pollok), then Crookston and eventually towards Govan. I found out later that I could have got a 747, or an 89 or a 17 on Dumbarton Road. All of them pass the hospital.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.