Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Govan, memories of a wayne
alex21
post 9th Dec 2008, 07:53pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,285
Hi i've just dicovered this site and its bringing back so many meories, i was wondering if anyone has any pics of Govan in the late 50's or early 60's. I lived on Golspie st. and big Logie st. I can remember the steamie by the swing park and the big grey Harland&wolves factory(i can still here the 5 oclock horn) My first school was St Anthonys and I remember nockin sweeties from Woolworths on the Langlands rd. and going to the ABC minors on a Saturday to see Hop along Cassidy and Zorro. I once got lost in the Elder park and even ran away to Partick with Billy Addison when I was 7, we ended up in the Marine polis office and ma Da gave me a right doin.

I'd love to hear anyones memories of growing up in Govan or see any pictures of the old place as it was. Alex in Nottingham
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
flam
post 11th Dec 2008, 08:52pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Alex21 Welcome to the board, I,m afraid the only part that I know of Govan is when I was a bus conductor passing through,52.53.54.55 I hope there a lot of Govanites to rekindle your memories on this site Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
tombro
post 12th Dec 2008, 10:23am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Alex21,

My granny on my mother's side lived in McGregor Street, roughly up towards Ibrox from Govan Cross. We lived in 'the Drum' so a visit meant either a trip across on the ferry from Clydeferry Street or a trip on the Subway to Govan Cross.

It's funny but I remember the area my granny used to live in also being referred to as Tewkerhill and Craigton, the latter probably because it was close to Craigton Road.

I remember walking from Govan Cross Underground to my granny's place but during winter we'd catch a tram or a trolley bus and get off at Craigton Road.

They might not be much help Alex, but these are memories of a ten year old who left Glasgow at the end of 1960, bound for Australia. And they are very vivid memories of my heritage !

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 13th Dec 2008, 06:52am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
Hello Alex21
I grew up in Drumoyne, but lived in Linthouse for 5 years before coming to Canada,
I have lots of cousins who lived in Govan and my Brother and Sister lived there also for a while,

If you go into the Sunnygovan.com board then click on to my old house you willl see some recent pictures of Govan people have posted

You click on to the Name of the street at the top of the page[ it is alphabetical order ] you want then the photographs will appear,
some good ones of Govan the old and New Cheers

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 04:43pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (alex21 @ 9th Dec 2008, 09:08pm) *
Hi i've just dicovered this site and its bringing back so many meories, i was wondering if anyone has any pics of Govan in the late 50's or early 60's. I lived on Golspie st. and big Logie st. I can remember the steamie by the swing park and the big grey Harland&wolves factory(i can still here the 5 oclock horn) My first school was St Anthonys and I remember nockin sweeties from Woolworths on the Langlands rd. and going to the ABC minors on a Saturday to see Hop along Cassidy and Zorro. I once got lost in the Elder park and even ran away to Partick with Billy Addison when I was 7, we ended up in the Marine polis office and ma Da gave me a right doin.

I'd love to hear anyones memories of growing up in Govan or see any pictures of the old place as it was. Alex in Nottingham

Ahm not sure whether your still with us or not Alex having only posted once but just in case. I was brought up in Drumoyne (Ardneil road) but spent most of my time in Govan. My Dad had a radio and tv and record shop in Shaw street and when i left govan high school i started working for him. In those far of days govan was a great wee place full of shops like andy macneils cycle shop, nicol stores, gillespies and dands big corner shop. I often went into toon by the ferries i would get the big ferry if ah was driving and the wee puffer if ah was jist walkng. Then you had the lyceum and plaza cinemas or if you nae money you might get into the elder. Me and my brothers would go swimming at harhill or greenfield street baths, great fun, but you had to get washed down with carbolic sop before we were allowed into the pool lol. Every year there was the govan fair which went along langlands road. In those days most folk worked in the shipyards but they were a good lot. Me and my pals spent a lot of time in elder park and were usually up to mischief. Ave lost count of the times i was chased oot the park by the park keeper lol
I think i have a few govan pictures somewhere but if you google up govan and search around you will fin lots

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.