Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blue Trains
auchinairnboy
post 26th Jun 2008, 07:25am
Post #1

Super Visitor
Member No.: 4,782
http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents...Glasgow1960.pdf

Interesting book.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 05:28pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (auchinairnboy @ 26th Jun 2008, 08:40am) *

Ah loved the blue trains. Away back in the 70's i lived in bearsden but worked in the city centre so i got the train from Hillfoot every morning into central station then back again in the evening. i remember them as being a bit shoogly as they sped along. The best bit for me after a busy day at work was sitting at the front right behind the driver and if his screen was up i could watch him working. ah got to know all about signals and what he did when the buzzer went off in his cab.............how pathetic was that !!!!

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 7th Jun 2012, 05:53pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Don´t you mean Hillfoot to Queen Street? unsure.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 7th Jun 2012, 06:08pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 7th Jun 2012, 08:08pm) *
Don&acute;t you mean Hillfoot to Queen Street? unsure.gif

He was took busy spying on the driver to notice laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 7th Jun 2012, 06:44pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Thought he´d found a secret tunnel. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Jun 2012, 07:32pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 7th Jun 2012, 07:08pm) *
DonŽt you mean Hillfoot to Queen Street? unsure.gif

Yur probably right bilboa it may well have been queen street, ma memory must be getting fuddled. Hillfoot was certainly right cos it had the best cafe in Milngavie facing it..........when a got aff the train every night i made a bee line for it tae get ma single nugget smile.gif
____

--------------------

+Quote Post
joeylok
post 23rd Nov 2012, 04:14pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 16,606
Blue trains ran from Airdrie to Milngavie and to Helensburgh/balloch i loved them

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 23rd Nov 2012, 07:47pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Vince ran the cafe.

+Quote Post
Rab
post 23rd Nov 2012, 09:20pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
Me too Joeylok. Friday evening I used to cross the river to Yoker by Renfrew Ferry, catch the Blue Train at Clydebank and in no time was at Balloch with my pals for a cheap holiday weekend at the Youth Hostel near Luss. Great read that wee book. thumbup.gif

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 23rd Nov 2012, 10:00pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
I worked as a guard at Yoker depot. The blue trains were gone from normal service by then, but there was still one tgat they kept for specials - e.g. the Santa train for taking kids on a yuletide trip with presents and entertainment. The same guard worked on it for years. I still see him now and then at Patrick. I don't know if they still do the Santa train.

+Quote Post
kenb
post 23rd Nov 2012, 10:54pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
doug1 have you been following me around i used to deliver the milk to the hillfoot cafe for as you say the best ice creammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm in the world i worked for david f clark the nicest farmer in the area as a milkboy it was great the food etc
1 mortons rolls temple 2 sloans dairies cafe /canteen 3 bakers in bearsden had to get there before the other milkboys we were there 6am every thurs 4 hillfoot cafe if you were best milkboy you got to take the pergal boxes on sat am and get the big churn filled with ice cream and eat as much as you could before you got back to the farm pray for red lights
as i say we must have crossed paths loads of times co durham westerton bearsden hillfoot blue trains (hillfoot to glasgow queen st )i worked for british rail civil eng nw div on the blue trains and up to fort william mallaig
where next i went ski ing every year staying in inverness b and b!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
kenb
post 23rd Nov 2012, 10:56pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
welcome to the boards joey lok lets hear from you again kenb

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 24th Nov 2012, 03:29pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (kenb @ 23rd Nov 2012, 11:11pm) *
doug1 have you been following me around i used to deliver the milk to the hillfoot cafe for as you say the best ice creammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm in the world i worked for david f clark the nicest farmer in the area as a milkboy it was great the food etc
1 mortons rolls temple 2 sloans dairies cafe /canteen 3 bakers in bearsden had to get there before the other milkboys we were there 6am every thurs 4 hillfoot cafe if you were best milkboy you got to take the pergal boxes on sat am and get the big churn filled with ice cream and eat as much as you could before you got back to the farm pray for red lights
as i say we must have crossed paths loads of times co durham westerton bearsden hillfoot blue trains (hillfoot to glasgow queen st )i worked for british rail civil eng nw div on the blue trains and up to fort william mallaig
where next i went ski ing every year staying in inverness b and b!!!!!!!! tongue.gif

Hi Ken, It's so funny to hear you use the word pergal, I wonder how many folks would know what a pergal is !! I sure do as I have to replenish our pergal machine at work 3 or 4 times a week. You mention BR engineering. My wifes family lived in Deepdene Road Westerton and their house backed onto the railway lines and many's a time when I stayed over at the house we would see the engineering work taking place on the line at night and it was fascinating to watch especially if they were laying ballast or changing rails. It's weird how we have been to so many of the same places, as they say it's a funny old world

--------------------

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 4th May 2013, 12:32pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
My aunt's big dug "Duke" loved the blue trains.
He was a
He would get on at Alexandra parade , and get off at Belgrove.
He love it!.
The guards all got to know Big Duke and when he passed away,
The staff at Alexandra parade wore black arm bands.
There was something special about them, and were an amazing ride.
They had a feel to their on.
Loved the sound of the engines when they started

a wee film for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ick5tdT1x4U

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 5th May 2013, 09:03am
Post #15

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
Purplefan.
See the guys working on the electrification, nae hard hats as they duck under the supports; nae gloves for pulling the wire along!

I used to travel Coatbridge - Queen Street regularly, but I still remember the steam engines on that line.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.