Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow " Ghost Trains ", Dust carts
Rating 2 V
carntyne
post 26th Mar 2008, 02:27pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 766
Does anyone remember the Glasgow ”Ghost Trains”? The big electric dustcarts used by the Cleansing Dept. They crept about the streets so quietly, you did not hear them coming. They were a 1928 ecologically marvel, years ahead of their time as means of rubbish removal. They ran on electricity generated from burning the city’s rubbish at Govan RPW which was between Craigton Rd & Helen St in Govan –see Virtual Mitchell C41. I briefly worked with them when I was with the Cleansing Dept. They were being scraped in 1963 many have worked double shifted since 1928. Very few pictures exist of them and they are an almost forgotten part of the city’s history.
See www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSE01344 and Virtual Mitchell - C6216 C1815.

I would like to here from any one who remembers them or the cleansing dept.

Yours Harry.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 1st Apr 2008, 12:38pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
I remember the electric dust carts well - we called them "slowies" as they only had a maximum speed of around 25 - 30mph and were ideal for hudgies, a free ride on the vehicle usually hanging off the back of it. We used to hang around the corner of Charles Street / Springburn Road and catch a hudgie up to the local cleansing depot further up Charles Street in the Garngad.
That would be around the late 1950's and they were eventually replaced by the faster diesel hoppers (silvies) which presented a bigger challenge to catch as they were faster but had two steps at the back which afforded you a platform for your free ride if you could board them.
One of the downsides in running on electricity (as with the trolleybuses) is that you could not hear them coming sometimes and many a young child ended up under their wheels as we all played in the streets in those days.
When I look back on playing around these vehicles, I'm amazed we never contacted any disease as the rubbish that was loaded on to these vehicles was quite disgusting but never concerned us as we were only interested in the adrenalin rush from hanging off the back of a moving lorry.

+Quote Post
cowcaddens kid
post 12th Apr 2008, 06:13pm
Post #3

Settling In
Member No.: 5,574
Well done -you brought back memories of my childhood -I had forgot about these trucks -they used to come through our street (Edington St) on their way up to the depot in ? Sawmillfield street ,i seem to recall they scattered ashes over the road in winter as it was a steep hill up to the yard it was across from SSEB depot .
I was only a wee lad then but you are right they were very quiet and kids were often hurt hanging off the back of them. Looked at picture on the link -i guess nobody fancied preserving one of these in the transport museum, they did stink a bit.
thanks for the memory.

gee

+Quote Post
tombro
post 14th Apr 2008, 09:11am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
The electric Dust Carts were way ahead of their time and every time I hear our 'Garbos' here in Australia arrive at six o'clock in the morning I wish they were still around.

Isn't it amazing that the City of Glasgow once led the world with its delivery of electric powered community systems throughout the 1950's but gleefully gave up that honour in order to 'kowtow' to the petrol and diesel powered systems of the 1960's onwards.

When I left Glasgow in 1960 not only did we have the electric 'Dust Carts' and 'Milk Carts' but we also had Trams, Trains, Trolley Buses and a Subway System all run on electricity. At that time, when we were trying to clean pollution from the atmosphere (getting rid of coal fires to be replaced by coke), these systems should have been held up us icons !

But, no ! We replaced Trams and Trolley Buses with conventional buses, let the Subway System disintegrate, and I believe the whole railway system was 're-designed and upgraded' to meet modern requirements.

What a pity,
Tombro sad.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
enchineer
post 3rd Jun 2009, 09:54pm
Post #5

Visitor
Member No.: 6,935
Hi Harry check out my post on chit chat re model lodging house
Enchineer

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 5th Jun 2009, 02:46pm
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
Hi Tombro,

A bit better news for you on the railways as there are plans to replace all the diesel services – Cumbernauld / East Kilbride / Barrhead / Maryhill / Whifflet / Edinburgh – by electric trains over the next 6 – 7 years. Transport is now a devolved matter and we have our own budget in the Scottish Parliament and they are funding this electrification programme which is long overdue, electric trains being cleaner and quicker.
Regarding trams, I agree they were more environmentally acceptable but I can’t see them returning to Glasgow’s streets due to operational constraints. At least when a bus breaks down in Union Street in the rush hour, the rest of the buses can just drive around it but you can imagine the chaos if a tram broke down and all the rest of the trams started backing up behind it. We’re all watching with interest to see how the new Edinburgh tram system works as I fear chaos down the Leith Walk when it is brought in. In the words of the song – it’s not easy being green !

+Quote Post
tombro
post 6th Jun 2009, 10:19am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
BigArturo1,

Your reply more than a year after my post is appreciated.

When I left Glasgow for Australia (I was ten years old) at the end 1960, the death knell on the trams had just been announced. The Trolley Buses (Whispering Death) had been slated for removal, too.

The Blue Trains had just begun their reign, although I believe they were put aside for a while due to teething problems. But they were a big improvement on the steamies. I saw a recent picture of Charing Cross Station and the difference to the station I remember from the late 1950's is absolutely amazing.

As for any modern trams breaking down and blocking the progress of those behind, I would hope that your present bus drivers don't follow the precedents set by the GCT drivers of those late 1950's who seemed to follow the rule that, under no circumstances whatsoever, do I pass the bus of a fellow driver.

Even I, from then as a ten year old kid, remember the fact that if you waited half an hour for any bus you would be rewarded by up to four in a row arriving at your stop !

Tombro laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 1st Jun 2012, 11:07pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Ah was raised in govan and well remember these electric dust carts. They were slow they were big and they had canvas strips hanging doon the sides. In those days folk still dumped their ashes from the coal fires doon in the midden and the "midden men" scooped all the ashes up into a big basket and carried it oot to the cart and dumped it in. i well remember that if you were standing anywhere near the cart you would get covered in stour. My uncle robert was a midden man although he always used the polite term of "basket merchant" Ah remember him telling me about dropping the basket once and being covered in white ash. When his mates saw him they burst oot laughing and said he looked like a ghost
Fun times when you look back

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
klingon
post 2nd Jun 2012, 03:44pm
Post #9

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
For some reason I seem to remember the bins being emptied at night! don't know if it's my failing memory but I'm sure I remember binmen with kinda miners lamps on their heids coming after dark and emptying the middens

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.