Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Original Secession Church, Pollokshaws
farrochie
post 7th Mar 2013, 09:54am
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
While researching some family history for a friend I found grandparents who were married in 1907 by Rev William Bisset Gardiner according to the rights of the Original Secession Church. I found some interesting information on the church in Pollokshaws Heritage Trail which gives some historical information on the secession chuch and the Rev Gardiner.

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=9898&p=0

The Rev Gardiner is buried in Eastwood Old Cemetery.
http://glasgowancestry.blogspot.co.uk/2009...w-scotland.html

The marriage was between the Cathcart and Clark families. The Cathcarts were originally Presbyterians from Ireland, near Ballymena. The Clarks were from Kilmarnock, but go back to the Tarbolton area of Ayrshire.

My Concise Scots Dictionary shows the first secession of 1733 splitting into the Anti-Burghers and the Burghers. The Anti-Burghers split in 1806 into Auld Lichts and New Lichts. The majority of Auld Lichts joined the Free Church, leaving the Original Secession Church to continue the congregations.

The attached file shows how the Established Church of Scotland evolved over the years.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Churches_in_Scotland.pdf ( 386.46K )

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 21st Mar 2013, 09:56am
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
I wonder if there are people from the Secessionist congregation visiting these bulletin boards. I would be interested in any insights or memories of the Pollokshaws congregation.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.