Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Andy Murray Bow To The Queen?, Tennis star may defy royal convention
GG
post 20th Jun 2010, 02:58pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow-born tennis ace Andy Murray has said that he doesn't know whether he will bow to the Queen should he play before the monarch at this year's Wimbledon tennis tournament. The tournament's fourth seed could be set to play before the monarch if he wins his first round match earlier in the week.

The Queen will visit Centre Court on Thursday for the first time since 1977.

Fiercely patriotic Murray, who received a letter of congratulations from Buckingham Palace after his triumph at Queen's Club last year, said:

"It should be personal preference. I'll have to wait and see.

I'll have a chat with the guys. I don't want to be bowing and the person I’m playing with walk straight past or the other way around.

You obviously need to have an agreement before you go on. I'll have to speak to the organisers about it.

... It obviously would be a great honour to play in front of the Queen."

Until 2003 royal protocol dictated that players should bow or curtsy to the royal box before tennis matches started, however, this was dropped at the request of the Duke of Kent, the president of the All England Club.

Murray is not a stranger to upsetting English sentimentalities: when asked which football team he would be supporting at the World Cup in Germany in 2006, he answered bluntly "Anyone but England."

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 20th Jun 2010, 03:51pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Does Murray really believe that Her Majesty would even notice him? I for one couldnt care if I ever saw or heard Murray again,one of these here today,gone tomorrow types of nonentities.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 20th Jun 2010, 04:12pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Jupiter I'm really surprised at you saying Andy Murray is a here today and gone tomorrow.
Andy has been one of the top Tennis Players for many years now and he is the top in Scotland and yes he should bow to the Queen.

I can hear my sister now, she calls me a 'queenie beanie'. laugh.gif

Good luck Andy.Attached Image

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Jun 2010, 04:42pm
Post #4

Of course the young man should show appropriate respect to the Sovereign - just as our Members of the Scottish Parliament do when they are sworn in.

God Save the Queen!

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 20th Jun 2010, 05:44pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I believe he should bow, to me it’s a mark of respect, nothing else. She is after all head of the British Commonwealth.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
**Marion Law**
post 20th Jun 2010, 05:47pm
Post #6

You know it really doesn't matter whether Andy bows before her or not. That's part and parcel of becoming famous - In every aspect of our life we pretend to care about signatories - dignatories. It is the heart condition that matters. We all ahve to wear many hats. He shouldn't worry about it - He has done so well and we are so proud of him - Hopefully he will never lose sight of reality. iI is obvious he will be forced into company that he doesn't particularly admire. ML

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Jun 2010, 06:02pm
Post #7

It is sixty-one years since we dropped the "British" part of the title.

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 20th Jun 2010, 06:04pm
Post #8

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
seeing as the Queen is more Scottish than English, why shouldn't he bow. She is after all at least 50% Scottish, plus I think probably about 35-40% German. Queen Mum was Scottish, her Husband was half German. Phil is half German part Greek part Danish and even Mountbatten was German his original name was Battenberg.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 20th Jun 2010, 06:07pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Heather, Im afraid tennis is not in my orbit.Hitting a wee ball back and forward doesnt fall in to my be- all categories.Murray,like many sportsmen,will have a relatively short career and in due course drift into obscurity.In the meantime his ability to play bat and ball has allowed him to mix in circles many would only dream about.I would never tell any person what to do but would advise him not to lose any sleep over whether he should show some respect to Her Majesty because she certainly wont.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Jun 2010, 06:31pm
Post #10

I would suspect that Her Majesty will one day demonstrate her respect and acknowledgement of this young sportsman's achievements by conferring upon him one of our country's honours. She has done this many times in the past for sportsmen, entertainers, civil servants, members of our armed forces, charity workers, and community workers.

+Quote Post
Taylor9
post 20th Jun 2010, 06:54pm
Post #11

Visitor
Member No.: 6,735
No bowing does she bow to him.????????????

+Quote Post
frame
post 20th Jun 2010, 06:55pm
Post #12

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
It's a choice for Murray and one I'm sure he will give much thought to. For my my part, I have great respect for the Queen. I believe she cares deeply for her people and her country.
I would most certainly bow in her presence.
My flag though, (Scottish Saltire) is what fills me with great emotion and pride and nothing comes before that.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
hopalong cassidy
post 20th Jun 2010, 06:59pm
Post #13

Visitor
Member No.: 3,490
QUOTE (droschke7 @ 20th Jun 2010, 08:21pm) *
seeing as the Queen is more Scottish than English, why shouldn't he bow. She is after all at least 50% Scottish, plus I think probably about 35-40% German. Queen Mum was Scottish, her Husband was half German. Phil is half German part Greek part Danish and even Mountbatten was German his original name was Battenberg.

The Queen mother was NOT Scottish. Here parents where, but she was born in England. As for bowing, does he have a choice? They are a bunch of parsites who should be bowing to us as its our tax moneys that keeps this shower going.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Jun 2010, 07:07pm
Post #14

Andy murray should certainly bow to the queen, She didnt ask to be who she is, and she didnt do anything against Scotland. I am Scottish through and through, and very proud of it, I hate what happened in the past as much as the next one, And I would prefer to have our own monarchy, but things are the way they are, and I was brought up to show respect, and that is what he would be doing if he did bow to her. So come on Andy, show everyone how well mannered we Scots can be.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 20th Jun 2010, 07:14pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
The Royal Family,whilst not commanding respect from certain subjects at home are widely held in high esteem across the globe.Members of the Royal family routinely accompany trade delegations all over the world,promoting British trade and industry and keeping the UK to the fore.These are activities which are not widely reported.This is in addition to the charity works and associations supported by the Royal Family.I, like many am a proud loyal subject and hold the Royal Family in high esteem.
I would be interested to know what is meant by the phrase,"bunch of parsites"
Is this some ancient tribe mentioned in the Old Testament?

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.