Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

25 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is The Union Already Lost?, Referendum: 18th September 2014
DannyH
post 5th Jan 2014, 10:56pm
Post #106

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello All

One of the things that bothers me about contributing to this topic is, that some contributors seem to take the view that anyone who asks questions is in the NO camp.

I am not in the NO camp, but I am not convinced the current SNP's leadership definition of independence ties in with the founding SNP members idea of 'liberty'.

We are told by the SNP that membership of the EU is a done deal, but we have not been given any written proof of this. So it would appear that the SNP are quite happy for EU citizens to flock to Scotland, in the knowledge that an independent government would be unable to stop them. These EU immigrants would be able to claim benefits, including housing.

It also seems that we will retain the existing currency, i.e. the Pound Sterling and, ominously, unless I am badly mistaken, the BANK OF ENGLAND, will set our interest rate.

So as far as I am concerned the SNP is not asking us to vote for REAL independence. It is a pseudo independence. How can a country be independent, when the EU can overule that country's laws, and allow any EU citizen (including beggars and criminals) to come to Scotland?

How can a country be independent when the value of its currency is determined by a 'foreign' country?

We all have moans quite rightly about the Westminster government, and how things will change with independence. But will they? A newspaper report dated Friday, January 1, 2014, makes me think otherwise.

The former chief executive of Historic Scotland who QUIT after a turbulent 30 MONTHS, has been given a 300,000 PAYOFF. This severence package was signed off by THE SCOTTISH GOVERNMENT.

In my humble opinion, this was a golden opportunity for the SNP to say, "Listen, this is not Westminster, you quit your job, so just go"! The question surely arises, "Why didn't the SNP say that"? Is this what we are going to get come independence? The 'common' worker loses his job and is lucky of he gets a pittance of a severance payment. The bankers who got us into this mess continue to get obscene payments and bonuses, and failed top executives continue to get obscene severance packages. Come on SNP, for god's sake get a reality check and convince us in plain English, what is going to change.

And before the staunch YES supporters start throwing bricks at me, I asked for a copy of the SNP's White Paper to be sent to me some weeks ago. I am still waiting for it to arrive. We all know why we are fed up with Westminster. What we want to know is, what is going to change? One thing for sure is it will not be the politcians no matter which way the vote goes. They are all career minded.

Regards to All

Danny Harris
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Jan 2014, 01:15am
Post #107

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Attached Image

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
**george**
post 6th Jan 2014, 11:58am
Post #108

Danny H. Having monitored this site for a while your posting is the first to make real sense well done my man.

The snp apparently have the power right now to provide free child care so mothers can go to work but they wont. Why not? because the tax these mothers would pay would go to the chancellor in the capital of great britain. So our caring snp who are going to provide us with everything from nothing are prepared to hold their own people to ransome. In other words to get free child care vote yes. Is this a sign of things to come!!

Hope all the barrack room lawyers are taking note.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 6th Jan 2014, 12:42pm
Post #109

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
In all the years i've been arguing for an Independent Scotland I'm struggling to think of a time when the campaign was based on free child care, illegal wars...yes, WMD just up the road...yes, mismanagement of the oil revenues...yes, free child care...er no!
Can the SG bring in free child care at the moment, possibly, i haven't looked into it but as i said it's no big deal, no chink in the armour, no achilles heel. It isn't the bottom can of a pyramid of beans that will all topple over if you pull it out.

As has been said a number of times (and by the looks of it not being taken in) the referendum is not a vote for the SNP, its a vote for Scotland to be an equal nation in the world with a yes, or it's a vote no and you think we are less significant than San Marino, Monaco, Liechtenstein and loads of others nations far smaller than us.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 6th Jan 2014, 01:26pm
Post #110

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
So I'm a parent who could get an admittedly low paid job but at least I'll be working and contributing. Unfortunately the cost of child care is almost as much as I'd be earning so it's not worth it for all the difference it would make.
If, however, I was able to access free child care I'd be able to get out and earn my money instead of relying on benefits.

Child care is not important? Think again. If this lot are holding it back then they are doing more damage than good.

Yes - I know - they can be voted out but that's not much help to me between now and September.

+Quote Post
angel
post 6th Jan 2014, 02:28pm
Post #111

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
I think child day care costs should be subsidized according to income and the payments made by the parent should be tax detuctable , There are many subsidies handed out by government's to business's so why not day child care . parents should be in the business of working to earn a living and taking advantage of all the other subsidised payments that go to create employment .

just my opinion !

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 6th Jan 2014, 04:12pm
Post #112

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 6th Jan 2014, 01:43pm) *
So I'm a parent who could get an admittedly low paid job but at least I'll be working and contributing. Unfortunately the cost of child care is almost as much as I'd be earning so it's not worth it for all the difference it would make.
If, however, I was able to access free child care I'd be able to get out and earn my money instead of relying on benefits.

Child care is not important? Think again. If this lot are holding it back then they are doing more damage than good.

Yes - I know - they can be voted out but that's not much help to me between now and September.

Where is the money to pay for it going to come from?
George is right that any employment taxes gained through 'free' childcare will go straight into the chancellors big pot but Scotland will not see a comparative rise in its budget to make up for services being cut elsewhere. So again where will the money come from, pensioners free travel, prescriptions, free personel care for the elderly or how about the council tax freeze?
Childcare costs are a heavy burden on a working family, and i speak from experience as i have paid a kings ransom in costs when my kids were growing up, but that is not a reason to vote yes or no in the referendum, the issues i mentioned earlier are and as much as the Bitter together lot try to make it a game changer, it isn't.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th Jan 2014, 04:44pm
Post #113

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (*george* @ 6th Jan 2014, 12:15pm) *
The snp apparently have the power right now to provide free child care so mothers can go to work but they wont. Why not? because the tax these mothers would pay would go to the chancellor in the capital of great britain. So our caring snp who are going to provide us with everything from nothing are prepared to hold their own people to ransome. In other words to get free child care vote yes. Is this a sign of things to come!!

You are correct George if the SG brought in the childcare scheme the benefits of the extra taxation would go straight to that other George at No 11 (you're not him, are you?) therefore the money to pay for the scheme would have to come from the SG's block grant (Barnett formula) so where would you and the other Britnat barrack room lawyers make cuts in other services to pay for it, NHS. education etc?

I'm looking forward to this.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th Jan 2014, 04:48pm
Post #114

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 6th Jan 2014, 01:43pm) *

The same question i asked to George Betsy, which service would you like to see cut to pay for it?

The only way to get the childcare Scotland deserves is to Vote YES in 254 days thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th Jan 2014, 04:53pm
Post #115

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (*george* @ 6th Jan 2014, 12:15pm) *
In other words to get free child care vote yes. Is this a sign of things to come!!

Or in other words the Westminster way, vote NO and then we'll tell you what you'll get, as they did in 1979, and what did we get?.......................Thatcher angry.gif

+Quote Post
angel
post 6th Jan 2014, 05:04pm
Post #116

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

first of all I do not intend to argue politics , but I will say that if the cost is
more than any government local or federal can afford i.e to keep a welfare system going , then it is time to cut back , just get the priorities
in line . Any country needs a society that wants to work , not bitch about their welfare payments or whatever , but then , there are those who have made a career out of bilking the government , ie " the Taxpayer " .

I was in the States" a few weeks ago and comming through the
checkout in one of the big supermarkets , "there he was " a disabled
man , paralized from the waste down sitting in his own special chair
working at the checkout , which had been adapted for him to work
checking out the customers purchases , it is the first time that I have
ever seen that , maybe it goes on in the UK , I don't know , but it sure looked like it gave that man a reason to live and earn his own dollar , he had
pride in himself , a functioning member of society.

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
jaygee
post 6th Jan 2014, 05:38pm
Post #117

Settling In
Member No.: 2,097
The target for Yes or No factions is a vote on Sept 18th.
Really, does anybody think The Scottish Govt. would damage its' Independence aspirations by alienating the voter over child care provision if they coulod afford to pay it.
This is a diversion; Keep it simple vote yes and there will be more funds available and a govt. who is answerable to its' electorate.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th Jan 2014, 05:44pm
Post #118

Mega City Key Holder
Yet another Labour stalwart joins the YES campaign.

http://www.yesscotland.net/news/former-lab...-figure-say-yes

Hurry up Dylan, i've got the kettle on and have left the door open laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 6th Jan 2014, 05:55pm
Post #119

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Salmond did not say he could not afford Child Care today.

On the contrary, he said he could but would not, because many Mothers would get work, pay tax which would go

to Westminster..

His words his reasoning.

How mean and shows the measure of the man.

He does not care for the people of Scotland, only himself and his ambition to be King of Scotland.

His last Junket to America cost about 500,000 . 54,000 still unaccounted for.????

He lived like a King . biggrin.gif

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 6th Jan 2014, 05:58pm
Post #120

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 6th Jan 2014, 06:01pm) *
Yet another Labour stalwart joins the YES campaign.

http://www.yesscotland.net/news/former-lab...-figure-say-yes

Hurry up Dylan, i've got the kettle on and have left the door open laugh.gif

A malcontent, tailor made for the SNP. tongue.gif

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.