Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

61 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any One From Maryhill?
elle
post 29th Apr 2007, 12:15am
Post #136

Special Visitor
Member No.: 3,309
QUOTE (valleyboy38 @ 26th Apr 2007, 04:28 PM) *
i remember the Melrose cafe next to harrys the fruiters i also remember a girl who went with the owner jackie her name was clara guy. The ryans you talk of did they have a brother called Terry . I go and visit one of the Clark brothers his name is John[81] he is in a nursing home he is older than Tommy[R I P],I am sorry but i never mentioned the Melrose cafe in any of my posts although i remember it

Thank you VB for the information you sent me. Much appreciated.smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Avril
post 6th May 2007, 06:32pm
Post #137

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
QUOTE (elle @ 26th Apr 2007, 12:41 PM) *
You couldn't have gone into The Melrose Cafe VB because I am ten years older than you. smile.gif
You just proved it by putting in your birth date.

When I lived in 52 Stirrat Street as stated before, there wasn't anyone by the name of Butler living in our close. Top third floor, was our family, the Corrigans, opposite us were the McMenemies. Second floor were the Ryans and the Wilsons. Bottom floor Clarks and Penders. Right up until I left in 1948-1949.

Names are coming to me now. There was Jock Clark and his wife, Michael Clark, Tommy Clark, Mary Clark and I think a Sheila Clark.

I went to school with Philomena Ryan, who lived right underneath us, with the Clarks under them. She had a sister with red hair called Bridget.

McKay was mentioned in one of the posts. I went out with an Archie McKay from Gairbraid Ave. He had a younger brother.

The name Lennox sounds very familiar to me. No. 47 had to be across the street which was a smaller building than the one we were in, which went the full length of the street and round the corner. I remember a boy called Archie McLean who lived across the street in the first close beside the wall where the Saunders boy sat on the wall singing and playing his drums.smile.gif

Another name that comes to me is Eddie McKinnon. He lived across the Street.

The names I remember of the Wilson family opposite the Ryans, are Norah, Gina and Nellie. I went to school with Gina.

Hi Elle, As I mentioned in another topic, my husband's Granny Saunders' (46 Stirrat Street)maiden name was McMenemie. I wouldn't be surprised if the McMenemies that you mention at 52 Stirrat Street were related to her, as back in the those times families usually lived in close proximity to each other

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
elle
post 10th May 2007, 03:43am
Post #138

Special Visitor
Member No.: 3,309
QUOTE (georgia @ 6th May 2007, 06:49 PM) *
Hi Elle, As I mentioned in another topic, my husband's Granny Saunders' (46 Stirrat Street)maiden name was McMenemie. I wouldn't be surprised if the McMenemies that you mention at 52 Stirrat Street were related to her, as back in the those times families usually lived in close proximity to each other

There was never any mention of that while I was there, Georgia. btw, my older sister remembers the young boys playing the drums sitting on the narrow wall, across from our house, as if they were sitting on a horse. She was sure one of the boys was a Saunders. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Avril
post 10th May 2007, 07:24am
Post #139

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Would it have been Joe Saunders Elle?

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Guest elle **
post 13th May 2007, 07:18pm
Post #140

Having problems logging in, Georgia. Logged in, password came up and I was in. Came to this topic, and I have to fillin numbers to get in here (?).

Don't remember the first names of the boys, but isn't it a small world, here you are, married to a Saunders related to the Saunders family who lived beside me. smile.gif

+Quote Post
biglad
post 17th May 2007, 05:24am
Post #141

Visitor
Member No.: 3,381
Hello smile.gif I'm wondering if any folk here know of an Alderman Road. Also if any of you grew up in the time frame of 1930-1955. Another thing is if the surname Lennox has any connection to you in the Appleby St, Rockvilla School area.

All the best:)

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 17th May 2007, 05:14pm
Post #142

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Biglad, Welcome to the boards,

Can't help you I sorry to say, My name is not Lennox, it is just a name I picked for the boards cool.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
Elma
post 17th May 2007, 06:29pm
Post #143

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Alderman Road is in Knightswood. Welcome to the boards biglad, have fun on here, we're all a bit daft but I'm sure you'll fit in.

+Quote Post
biglad
post 17th May 2007, 11:52pm
Post #144

Visitor
Thanks for the welcome. I don't suppose the building where I made my entrance into the world is still about, 445 Alderman Road.

+Quote Post
biglad
post 18th May 2007, 02:07pm
Post #145

Visitor
QUOTE (biglad @ 18th May 2007, 12:09 AM) *
Thanks for the welcome. I don't suppose the building where I made my entrance into the world is still about, 445 Alderman Road.

Turns out that the Alderman address was where I went after being delivered at 1014 Great Western Road; that must have taken me some time to get there.

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 18th May 2007, 02:35pm
Post #146

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
you were an awfy clever wean then to get around like that anyway welcome to the boars pal

boards

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 18th May 2007, 03:40pm
Post #147

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
biglad, maybe you were born in Redlands Nursing home in Great Western Road, I had my youngest daughter in that hospital,I am not sure what the number in Great Western Rd. was.
I also stayed in Knightswood at that time.

+Quote Post
biglad
post 18th May 2007, 07:57pm
Post #148

Visitor
QUOTE (rosie-k @ 18th May 2007, 03:57 PM) *
biglad, maybe you were born in Redlands Nursing home in Great Western Road, I had my youngest daughter in that hospital,I am not sure what the number in Great Western Rd. was.
I also stayed in Knightswood at that time.

Thanks for the welcome Anne1 & rosie-k:) Apparently it was a Salvation Army Nursing Home, tho the pics from Virtual Mitchell looks like the residence of the Addams Family:)

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 19th May 2007, 02:47am
Post #149

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Not really a Maryhill Question Biglad but no matter....I so remember Alderman Rd as a kid.....my dentist was there and I hated it.Redlands was never Great Western Rd ,we live almost next door to the old hospital...tomorrow...only if its dry ...we have a new dog...a sloppy lab called Kaiser and he and I love a morning run...my kids think early morning is 10 am...Kaiser and I will do an early morning run...GWR,Anniesland,Alderman Rd and back via the canal and I will stuff a camera into my shorts for a few pictures

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 19th May 2007, 11:57am
Post #150

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
Hi scotslad nice to see you posting I guess your home for the weekend ,thanks for the info I will use it ,my son finaly got his passport but would you believe it he has a bussiness meeting on June the 2nd so we have to put our visit off till after then ,am telling you its killing me as I have my bags packed a ready to go ,who knows maybe when I am in glasgow we might just walk passed one another and not even know it !!!!maybe as you are on your bike runs up the canal I will be showing it to Michael you never can tell wink.gif Iam soory you could not oren the site I sent

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post

61 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.