Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Braehead In Anti-terror Photo Row, Police cite terror laws over family photo
Melody
post 14th Oct 2011, 08:50am
Post #76

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Imagine Braehead folk thinking anybody would want photographs of the place it's bad enough having to go to these places in the first place. Personally if I have to go there I can't wait to get out of it. laugh.gif Great Mausoleum of a place.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zascot
post 14th Oct 2011, 09:47am
Post #77

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Well said Jupiter, I was wondering why they made allegations and did not give the facts. Trying to move the blame.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 14th Oct 2011, 03:51pm
Post #78

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Rab says in Post #73
I agree GG that the tone of this release is rather irregular, but in view of the bad publicity alleged against Braehead and the Strathclyde Police, it seem that the Police were putting their version of the facts as they saw them before the public which is surely what we would expect of them, considering the allegations made against them!

In the statement made by Rob Shorthouse quoted on Post#69 ...

... “On reviewing all of this objective evidence, I have to tell you that we can find no basis to support the complaint which Mr.White has elected to make.

“The members of the public who asked for the security staff to become involved have told us that they did so for reasons which had absolutely nothing to do with him taking photographs of his daughter. They had a very specific concern, which I am not in a position to discuss publicly, that they felt the need to report. It was because of this very specific concern that security staff became involved. They were right to raise their concern and we are glad that they did so.

“The security staff were the ones who asked for police involvement. Again, this was not because Mr White said he had been photographing his daughter, but was due to the concerns that they themselves had regarding this particular incident.

Some where down the line these very specific concerns must be made public if only to show that they did in fact exist.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 14th Oct 2011, 04:46pm
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
THH I agree 100%.Im mean what exactly would prompt a person to call security?It must have been something serious to enough to call in house security who therafter had to summon the police.I think the police statement is disgraceful in its content and intent.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 14th Oct 2011, 05:04pm
Post #80

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
I have been away.... not in the Big Hoose hee-hee!! So am just catching up on this and reading through all the posts but one thing that I do not understand is that if this guy was supposed to be up to no good then why was he allowed to go on his merry way with a wee child in tow?? He was probably driving himself and the kid to the mall so if there is any suggestion that he was drunk or anything like that then why did the police not do something there and then?? While I am on this.... why did it take so long for the police to respond after the mall had already been in the news saying they would change things because of what had happened on the day.... it all looks very patchy and very iffy!!

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 14th Oct 2011, 07:33pm
Post #81

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 14th Oct 2011, 06:50pm) *
it all looks very patchy and very iffy!!

It certainly does. What we need is a proper, detailed explanation by Strathclyde Police of all the facts before them to clear the air, rather than leave us all guessing who is at fault - or not!

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 14th Oct 2011, 07:45pm
Post #82

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I agree with all the comments here. One thing that seems to have been missed during al the debate is the fact that this man's daughter's photograph has been spread all over the media. I doubt she will be grateful for the publicity.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
GG
post 14th Oct 2011, 07:59pm
Post #83

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Some updates:
Chris White last night vowed to sue Strathclyde Police

A FATHER at the centre of a row over taking a picture of his daughter at a shopping centre is to take legal action against Scotland’s largest police force.

Chris White last night vowed to sue Strathclyde Police for defamation after senior officers rubbished claims he was threatened with anti-terror laws over the mobile phone snap of four-year-old Hazel. ...

Full story here:
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/277415...r-to-sue-police

Are police attempting to smear The Braehead One

... Mr White last night told The Scotsman that the police account was “completely inaccurate” and said he would be taking legal advice to “pursue” the matter against police and a broadcaster.

In the latest development to a story which has seen Mr White held up as a champion of civil liberties, police said he was quizzed due to “very specific concerns” raised by members of the public in the Renfrew retail complex. ...

Despite reports yesterday that a report had been sent to the procurator fiscal regarding the 45-year-old, a police spokeswoman said that, while they had written to Mr White in response to his complaint, the matter was considered “closed”. ...

Full story here:
http://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-news...rters_1_1909881

Comment on Strathclyde police's own facebook page:
... Their statement has through accident or design inferred that there are unanswered questions about Chris Whites character. “Mr.White knows, or ought to know, why our officers spoke with him” what exactly does this mean?. At best this statement is a gross error in judgment and a worse a PR disaster. This is the kind of thing that will set Strathclyde Police back with the general public and breed distrust of the police. You are only as good as your actions on your worst day, which is what you will be judged on.

https://www.facebook.com/StrathclydePolice?sk=wall

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
benny
post 14th Oct 2011, 08:09pm
Post #84

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Tut, tut. "Inferred"? Surely implied is the correct word. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
*Gorbalsboy*
post 14th Oct 2011, 09:03pm
Post #85

A very disappointing statement coming from the police. Are they allowed to act as they wish without any fear or consequence? Where are the politicians in this matter?

+Quote Post
Heather
post 14th Oct 2011, 09:28pm
Post #86

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
A report in todays Sun Newspaper said Chris White was quizzed by Police after he took a photo of a teenage girl who worked in the Ice Cream Parlour and she objected. The brother of the girl asked him to stop and he did, but it was another member of the public who made the complaint against him.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
GG
post 15th Oct 2011, 01:06am
Post #87

Administrator
Group Icon
Thanks Heather, this is the Sun story reported online yesterday:
Tot snap dad: I will sue cops

A dad who claims he was harassed by cops for snapping his four-year-old girl eating ice cream is to sue the force — for accusing him of being drunk.

Chris White, 45, threatened legal action as Strathclyde Police revealed he was grilled over a DIFFERENT complaint at Braehead shopping centre in Glasgow.

Furious Chris said last night: "I will be taking advice on a defamation case against the force.

"I am entirely unhappy with their statement."

Chris, of Nitshill, Glasgow, complained to police over the Braehead incident — including his allegation that officers threatened him under anti-terror laws.

He received a letter from the force in reply — which The Scottish Sun has seen — which alleged he was drunk, took pics of staff and had his flies undone when he was quizzed last Friday.

He said: "I haven't drunk for 11 years. It states my fly was undone. This was never pointed out to me at the time.

"These claims would seem to raise a number of child protection issues, but they let me walk out of a shopping centre with a child their claims would suggest was at risk."

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 16th Oct 2011, 06:19pm
Post #88

Administrator
Group Icon
Looks like this story is still circulating worldwide, from yesterday:

Romanian: De ce a fost interogat autorul ACESTEI FOTOGRAFII, Ón baza Legii antiterorism din Marea Britanie (Why was the author interviewed these photos, under anti-terrorism law in the UK?)
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...ritanie-8856986

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 16th Oct 2011, 07:48pm
Post #89

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 14th Oct 2011, 05:32pm) *
THH I agree 100%.Im mean what exactly would prompt a person to call security?It must have been something serious to enough to call in house security who therafter had to summon the police.I think the police statement is disgraceful in its content and intent.

I agree with you, Jupiter, it certainly appears to have a rather nasty intent.

Noting the mention of Facebook to complain, how is this for irony:

Strathclyde Police's top PR man thrown out of hotel after row over 'fatty steak' http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish...22594998/

You really couldn't make this up!

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 16th Oct 2011, 08:02pm
Post #90

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
You are very correct.You couldnt make it up.I left the Police ten years ago and I dont recall there ever being anyone in the position that Mr Shorthouse now occupies.(Police officers from Constable upwards were generally expected to be able to give comments and speak in public when required.I often enjoyed the cut and thrust of community council meetings,aargh!)What I cannot understand,in this age of austerity, is how Strathclyde Police can justify such a salary for any person to handle PR matters.
Im sure this is a question that should be directed to the Strathclyde Police Authority and I think I may be the person to do the asking.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.