Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1453 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scottish Independence, About voting yes/no
Rating 4 V
TeeHeeHee
post 20th Mar 2013, 04:40pm
Post #196

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (wee davy @ 20th Mar 2013, 04:20pm) *
... Many of them are about as SCOTTISH as George III. (Or William The Conquerer) ...

I thought I ewas about to read ... as Scottish as George III (or William the third) ... laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 20th Mar 2013, 05:08pm
Post #197

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Actually, you two have got the wrong end of the stick here! Completely!
I've never said I would vote no!
I have said "Please also note I do not speak from a 'Better Together' perspective.
I speak from the perspective of my own view and relate the information I have came across for the perusal of others.
They can agree or disagree at their leisure.
I, however, reserve my right in a democratic society to express my views."
Having said that, I'll point out that for 46 years I voted for the SNP.

In the last few years, however, I've began to wonder if that was a waste of time.
I believed that in an Independent Scotland, we would have a more democratic society, where the wishes of the people would take precedence over the wishes of an increasingly out of touch collection of political parties. Sadly, I now include the SNP in that category.
From my point of view, I cant see the difference between the policies of those parties who favour a united UK and the party that favours an independent Scotland.

The SNP favour more immigration, the unionist parties don't say they are in favour, instead they just make noises but in reality don't do anything to reduce it.
The SNP gives away cash as foreign aid, as do the unionists (All of them!)
The SNP says Westminster has cut their budget so we Scots are suffering because of Unionist Westminster.
Unionist Westminster (All parties) say that the SNP are making Scots suffer!
Meanwhile the SNP gives 5m to Malawi!
The SNP favour same sex marriage, as do the unionist parties, no difference there either, despite the sham consultations on both sides of the border.
The SNP wont give Scots a referendum on Europe if Scotland becomes independent.
The other parties (Despite what the Tories say) wont either if it is a NO vote in 2014.

So will we be better off independent? Perhaps.
Will we better off if we aren't? Maybe the answer to both these questions is 'Will we any worse off?'
Will we live in a more democratic Scotland? I doubt it.
More of the same politically correct legislation and more of the same politically correct politicians and their hangers on, will be the likely result.
All of them, whatever party is in power, totally out of touch with public opinion.
Alex

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 21st Mar 2013, 09:48am
Post #198

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
Today the date of the referendum will be announced. A Thursday or a Saturday, that's the first question.

The referendum becomes less and less about the political parties, more about what we Scots think. It becomes two campaigns, the Yes Scotland and the Better Together. Many have made up their minds, many still to decide.

I hope that people will seek the facts, don't just accept what the campaigns say. Especially don't just accept what you read in the papers. Listen to the arguments and counter arguments. Which ones are based on facts, and ring true? Which ones are logical? Which appeal to you? What does your instinct tell you?

Is Scotland really uniquely incapable of running its own affairs? Are we really "better" tied to Westminster with 59 MPs out of 650, and the certainty of Tory...Labour..Tory...policies for middle England, a future of international meddling and arms supply? Or can we make our own decisions as a fully-fledged country with a unique voice in the family of nations?

I have chosen to vote YES, and I am now going to work towards an Independent Scotland. The world is waiting for us!

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 21st Mar 2013, 10:39am
Post #199

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
So far I have found the best campaigners for a YES vote to be IDS, David Cameron and lets not forget the Chancellor..bless him.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 21st Mar 2013, 10:50am
Post #200

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Yep,... their doing a storming job!

Zero growth. Exponential borrowing, and STILL persisting with eco friendly policies (which is where all the money is really being syphoned off, I'll bet)

Oh,... and lets not forget, stealing from the poor, to give to the rich!

Go Davy,... Go IDS,... Go George!
Your doing a cracking job for the YES campaign.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 22nd Mar 2013, 08:39am
Post #201

Super Resident
So now we know:

18th September 2014

No matter what side you take, it is important that people get out and vote, and make sure that we demonstrate a real democratic mandate to the world.

As for me, I have great confidence in Scotland's abilities to make the important decisions for ourselves, without always having our 59 MPs outnumbered in Westminster. Left-leaning people are having to wait 5 to 10 years, and more, to overturn unpopular Tory governments.

In an independent Scotland, my hope is for new parties to form. Labour, LibDems and Tory parties are currently all registered in England. They just stick Scottish in front of their name, it's meaningless as they are managed from London, forcing them to support Trident and foreign adventures.

Scotland has great people, sufficient resources and tremendous determination to better ourselves and to help our fellow citizens. These are the reasons I'll be voting YES in 2014.

+Quote Post
serabash
post 30th Apr 2013, 10:48am
Post #202

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
http://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/yessc....pdf?1366895555

worth a look.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 5th May 2013, 04:25pm
Post #203

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
More of that volatile black stuff.............is there no end to our misfortune....we were told it would have ran dry by the 90's.... we're all doomed.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/u...dard-2013_05_04

Vote YES next year thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 5th May 2013, 07:30pm
Post #204

Mega City Key Holder
However, a global law firm has warned that constitutional uncertainty could discourage companies from investing in the North Sea
Times

Yeah,... right.

That 'Global'Law firm wouldn't be based in London, perchance?

--------------------

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 5th May 2013, 07:58pm
Post #205

Super Resident
wee davy

"constitutional difficulties" don't stop oil companies. The only thing that they are nervous about it undefined borders eg Scotland/Faroes and Norway/Russia got solved very quickly to enable oil exploration in these "unresolved" or "disputed" boundaries.

Scotland's Exclusive Economic Zone will be pretty easily defined, though we need to disput the area given away to England just before devolution...disgraceful behaviour and an example of how Westminster are likely to pursue negotiations with Scotland.

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 5th May 2013, 09:14pm
Post #206

Mega City Key Holder
I'm very interested in the 'give away' farrochie - where was that exactly? I was out of the country when all that was being kicked about.

Just point me in the right direction, for info.

BTW Thank you to those who have done just that for me, today.

--------------------

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 5th May 2013, 09:53pm
Post #207

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

Oil companies go where the black stuff pours, they are present in several dodgy places where workers risk kidnapping so i think possible constitutional change will not even register.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 5th May 2013, 09:58pm
Post #208

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (wee davy @ 5th May 2013, 09:31pm) *
I'm very interested in the 'give away' farrochie - where was that exactly? I was out of the country when all that was being kicked about.

Farrochie means the 6,000 or so sq miles now coming under English jurisdiction, personally i think that if it came to an international arbitrator the medieval maritime border wouldn't hold water(pun intended) this was drawn before the union and at a rough 90 degrees from the tweed even though the land border runs at approx 45 degrees.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
wombat
post 5th May 2013, 10:06pm
Post #209

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
laugh.gif and they called sadaam hussien a crook for "slant drilling"into kuwait

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th May 2013, 09:42am
Post #210

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (wee davy @ 5th May 2013, 09:31pm) *

There are many sites you can read about it WD, this is just one.

http://www.oilofscotland.org/scotlands_stolen_sea.html

It will be returned before independence day.

Vote YES next year thumbup.gif

+Quote Post

1453 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Jan 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.