Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> St. Enoch Hotel
jamcat
post 15th Feb 2011, 09:37pm
Post #1

Resident
Member No.: 8,842
Glasgow has more Victorian architecture than anywhere else in the world (it would have been London if the luftwaffe hadn't destroyed most of it) It's really hard for me to pick a favourite building in the city because if you walk through the city centre looking up you will see loads of beautiful buildings. Amongst my favourites is the now destroyed St. Enoch hotel that was closed in 1974 because they wouldn't pay the money needed for the building to pass the fire safty laws. It was a listed building but this somehow did not prevent it being demolished in 1977/78 and I expect some money changed hands to enable this. I have fond memories of walking an ex girlfriend here to get her bus home and when I go into the Square and see this horrible glass thing that took it's place it doesn't help to rekindle those sweet memories.

[attachment=29685:St_Enoch..._in_1879.jpg]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jamcat
post 15th Feb 2011, 09:52pm
Post #2

Resident
Another beautiful Victorian building [that is still standing] is Glasgow central station
[attachment=29686:Glasgow_..._station.jpg]

+Quote Post
jamcat
post 15th Feb 2011, 09:55pm
Post #3

Resident
The Glasgow art galleries is another gem in Glagow's lovely buildings[attachment=29687:kelvingr...d_museum.jpg]

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.