Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

54 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Let's Have Our Own Referendum Now!, Should Scotland Be An Independent Country?
Jupiter
post 16th Oct 2012, 09:13am
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
In the Union of the four countries I have always had the feeling for as long as I remember ,no facts data or figures to prove it,that England is number one two three and four in the pecking order and then there is the other three.Im in my early 60s and this is the last opportunity I will ever have to call myself a Scot,part of an independant stand alone nation and equal with all .Thats why I vote yes,call it heart over head but for me thats how it is.
Re ex pats who have made their lives abroad,good luck to them, but no vote.
16-17 year olds for the vote? Most certainly.This is as big a decision for them as anyone.They are the nations future and at present Scottish law gives them many voting rights at this age so it should be with the referenum.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*alex smillie*
post 16th Oct 2012, 09:27am
Post #47

Scotland has lost most of its manufacturig industries thanks to Maggie.
How many firms of any size are run from a Scottish headquarters, Halls of Broxburn are a prime exsample of Scottish compasnies being closed down, how many more if we go it alone.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 16th Oct 2012, 09:49am
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I'm still very undecided about Scottish independence, my heart says go for it but my head says no. Everyone has made very good arguments for independence but I'm just not conviced yet. Can anyone actually tell me what the practicalities of being independent are going to be. How will things like our health service be structured, how much will we have to pay in income tax and how will that money be spent, will there be jobs and if so were are thes jobs going to come from. Its things like these, among other things, that I want to know about. Without the relevent information, how can anyone make an informed choice?
As far as 16/17 year olds being allowed to vote, why not? If they are old enough to pay tax, if they're lucky enough to find a job, then they are old enough to decide how that money should be spent.
And at the risk of offending all expats, no, you shouldn't be allowed to vote. You don't live here so why would you be allowed to vote?
Out of curiosity, how many expats would be prepared to come back and live here if Scotland did gain indepenence?

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 16th Oct 2012, 10:03am
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
I think that 16-17 year old will play a big part in deciding the outcome.

+Quote Post
**Peter**
post 16th Oct 2012, 10:23am
Post #50

QUOTE (Libisa @ 16th Oct 2012, 01:27am) *
For years, I always said no to independence as I always believed in the Union (by the way I was raised and still am a loyalist). But the way this whole country is being ruined by consecutive Westminster governments has turned me round.

I am placing a load of trust on Salmond to deliver the goods. The first thing I want back, is rights over our own oil and gas reserves. Westminster sold this to foreign powers who in turn sell it back to us at inflated prices.

We have no choice in the matter now, as things will only get worse if we remain part of the UK. As say, it is a chance we take and a big gamble at that. But we could be damned if we do, and certainly damned if we don't!

I am from pretty much the same background and held the same views, and now? I am again aligned with your views. I am now firmly on the YES side as it is the only way forward for Scotland.

+Quote Post
pedropresley
post 16th Oct 2012, 10:33am
Post #51

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,037
I totally agree with an independant Scotland we have bowed to this uk government for far to long and we do have the resources to go on our own so can't wait for 2014 and also the Commowealth games bring it on.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 16th Oct 2012, 10:39am
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
alex smillie I dont think the loss of Scotlands manufacturing industry can all be blamed on Mgt Thatcher.

+Quote Post
**ronnieauld2**
post 16th Oct 2012, 11:01am
Post #53

Aye go for it we can't be any worse off than the way we are now gas electric etc, and why thatcher was not to blame for the decline of Scotland's heavy industries, steel, coal, shipbuilding etc. OK rant over. yes.gif

+Quote Post
*Grenscot*
post 16th Oct 2012, 11:03am
Post #54

I am an expat Scot and have been for 45 years. I was basically an economic migrant in the 60s when I left to work on an overseas contract. I have maintained very close links with Scotland and come home at least once a year. I remitted money to help maintain my parents in their old age. I educated my children in Scotland. One of them opted to remain there after university and so I now have Scots grandchildren. I have followed and continue to follow the independence debate very closely. When I come home and discuss the independence debate with my siblings and friends I find that I am in fact much better informed than they are.

I am sure that many of the overseas Scots have a similar story to mine, however, none of that qualifies me, or should qualify me, to have the right to vote in Scotland. I don't live there and it does not matter whether it was by choice or necessity.

Should Scotland achieve its independence then I hope that it will engage with it's diaspora and harness what overseas Scots have to offer the homeland. The US requires all of its citizens to file tax returns in the US irrespective of where they live. In return they retain the right to vote no matter where they are in the world. I would be happy to make tax contributions to an independent Scotland in exchange for the right to enjoy the full privileges of citizenship, including the right to vote.

+Quote Post
The Callands Reb...
post 16th Oct 2012, 11:07am
Post #55

Visitor
Member No.: 9,211
The vote is a bit disappointing at the moment.

The wife (she's from Springburn) says the 37% voting No's, is
due to the English moving North into Scotland.

Hum, we have the same problem here in the Southern States of America,
the influx of the dreaded "YANKS" from the North.

"ALBA GU BRATH"

Pardon if I spelt that a bit wrong.

Even the "Air" once you cross the border into Scotland
from England is purer.

Sic Semper Tyrannis as us Virginians say

Jerry

+Quote Post
BEARGER
post 16th Oct 2012, 11:08am
Post #56

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,191
QUOTE (laura j @ 16th Oct 2012, 12:44am) *
Not while alec salmonds involved - couldnt see extra poll re-ex pats - no they shouldnt.

No offence but that makes no sense. You want Independence but will not vote for it while Salmond's involved?!! You may not get another chance in your lifetime.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 16th Oct 2012, 11:53am
Post #57

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I agree BEARGER, it makes no sense; the vote would be a vote for an independent Scotland and not Salmond who may have a short term in office.
I'm sure that there are many "ex-pats" like myself who have never required, or aquired, a nationality other than the one they were born into. Until my dying day I will be the Scot that I was at birth. I belong to one country and one country only no matter where I have lived. If this Son of Scotland's ashes are one day brought home to his native soil will the bearer be told, "Sorry, no expats here." ?
Every Scotsman within the UK who carries a passport carries one like mine; a British Passport. When you have the right to claim a Scottish Passport I must have the same right, otherwise I may be classed as a Stateless Person; I certainly am not English ... or German. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 16th Oct 2012, 11:59am
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545

No surprise to some but i voted yes.

Before the whole debate i never gave much thought to under 18's voting, after i've given it some thought and the fact my own daughter will be of age come the referendum i've decided i'm for it, not only for the referendum but for all elections. She has a sound head on her shoulders and is more than capable of weighing up the pros and cons than many people i know.

British vs Scottish ?? This is a vote on the disolving of the political union, a deep trench is not going to be dug seperating Scotland and England. We will all still be residents of the British isles, and can call ourselves either if we wish. We just wont be 'subjects' of the Westminster Parliament and it's laws/wars.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
chas1937
post 16th Oct 2012, 12:09pm
Post #59

Special Visitor
Member No.: 10,795
QUOTE (GG @ 15th Oct 2012, 11:39pm) *
An historic agreement setting out the terms for a Scottish independence referendum was signed today by Prime Minister David Cameron and First Minister Alex Salmond. ...

Personally I don't think anyone who doesn't stay here should get a vote.Even though they may traipsy between Scotland and elsewhere

+Quote Post
farrochie
post 16th Oct 2012, 12:09pm
Post #60

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,201
This is not Alex Salmond's referendum, it is not the SNP referendum. This is OUR referendum.

Anyone who wants to know the ins and outs of Independence should get a copy of the wee booklet "Your Scotland Your Future". It covers Economy, Healthcare (Scotland already has its own NHS), Education, Justice, Transport, Welfare and Pensions, Citizenship, Finance, Business and Enterprise, Energy, Broadcasting, International Relations and Security.

Never fear, we have people of great ability in this country.

Our Scotland, Our Future.

+Quote Post

54 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.