Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gorbals
queenie
post 23rd Dec 2009, 03:32am
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,882
QUOTE (queenie @ 23rd Dec 2009, 03:27am) *
hi liz,
it's christine, yr uncle dougi's daughter, just found this site and saw yr post, knew u were talking about my dad's family. be great to get in touch with u, i'm coming home to castlemilk on the 27th but don't have a fone no. or address for u so hopefully you'll see this and maybe get in touch. still in stravanan and think the numbers in the phone book, so call me if u can. christine xx

or look me up on facebook under christine mccarry
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
campsie
post 4th Oct 2010, 10:28pm
Post #17

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
came from Kinning Park in 1956 I came to live in Gorbals St,. I think It was number11? I remember there was a boxing club next block to us and the bakers where I used to go early morning for our breakfast rolls, and the baker always gave me a rice biscuit. Up just off Gorbals Cross was a wee Jewish Bakers which had lovely egg loaves.
I remember there was a very bad fire I think it started in the boxing club again not sure maybe 1956/7 what I remember is being woken up and a big fireman putting a blanket over me and taking me out the window down the ladder as the place was full of black smoke. We were all taken to the nearby police station where we had to spend the night, as we were only 7/8yrs old we thought this was a big adventure. Does anyone else remember this fire. My friend Emily Trivet who later moved to Pollock lived there at the time.

+Quote Post
*Miranda Campbell*
post 15th Jan 2011, 08:40pm
Post #18

My father was born in Cumberland Street, 1939 into a big family. His surname was Foote.

+Quote Post
Petrella
post 29th Oct 2012, 03:11pm
Post #19

Settling In
Member No.: 12,808
I met my husband in the Dennistoun palais when we got married we went to stay with his family in Ballater street it was I think an old four storied building with shops on the bottom floor and the houses above.The co-op bakery where my Father in law and Husband both worked stood just across the road on McNiell street .When I was browsing the other night I was delighted to see that their local The Pig and Whistle was still standing ,My Father-in-law,old Jimmy McIntyre was renowned as bit of a memory man when it came to the results of football matches from years gone by and he was often to be found holding court in the bar he was great friends with Rose who managed the pub at the time I wonder if anyone remembers him.I myself worked in Kerr and Gibbs the wee biscuit factory also in McNiell street sadly both that and the Co-op seem to have gone now

+Quote Post
cowcaddens kid
post 31st Aug 2013, 02:17pm
Post #20

Visitor
Member No.: 7,915
[email="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23900394"]gorbals plague 1900[/email] just found this on news today seems we had a bubonic plague outbreak just over 100 years ago.

+Quote Post
**Maureen**
post 12th Aug 2017, 09:22pm
Post #21

QUOTE (liz doyle @ 20th Feb 2009, 10:44pm) *
Hi yes I was born in the gorbals, Mathieson street, my sister and 2 brothers were born in the house here, both my parents families came from here as well, My da was Ronnie Cairney he was somewhere in the middle of 10 kids, John. george, chrissie,dan, josie, jenny,dougie, patsy and jim, I believe my uncle john run a pub called the granite city, my ma was the youngest of 6, peggy, john, maryann, alec, billy then my ma betty mcdonald. We ended up in castlemilk in fact most of the above endednup there!! I went to St Francis and i think my granny mcdonald lived at 162 mathieson st, my granny cairney was cumberland street,(I think) I'm doing the family tree at the moment and i've uncovered loads of information and I'm thoroughly enjoying all the sites about the gorbals, I only remember that we lived in the close a single end and it was terrible living conditions. thanks

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.