Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Toonheid, Here and there in the Townhead
Maisie Egger
post 10th Jun 2010, 07:00am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,952
All gone, like a will-o-the-wisp, and was it all necessary? Some of it, but not all, to leave Townhead and Springburn ghost towns.

I was home a few years ago: The Barony Church where I was christened is no longer a parish church; Townhead School right behind it is gone, with only a parking lot in its place. Only a stone lintel marked Boys Entrance is left to jog my memory of being unable to find my class on my first day of school. This gallant young boy showed me the way, then was waiting for me after school to walk me home. He wanted me to go back to his house to play, but my parents would not allow it. I was all upset, imagining him still standing outside the entrance to 24 St. James' Rd., where we lived and no one telling him he was being "stood up!" I never saw him again, so here I am 75 years later (I am 79) and I can still see his face as though it were yesterday.

My father and his siblings were born 5 Stanhope St., and then moved to 94 Striling Rd. Right beside the close was a fish shop which my father owned until he went off to fight in WWI with the Glasgow H.L.I. His grandmother lived at either 60 or 62 Weaver St.

My aunt was a librarian at Townhead Library and attended Provanside School. Like Springburn, most of these places have been gutted, with only the memories left and dismay that the Toonheid as I knew it is no more. My aunt attended Porvanside Higher Grade School, whilst my grandfather was the janitor of Milton Street School, Dobbie's Loan, I suppose, in the Cowcaddens.

When in my teens, I met a boy at the Dennistoun Palais who took pride in that he lived in the Co-operative Building in Parliamentary Rd. He was a nice young fellow by the name of Peter Quinn, but that encounter didn't come to anything as I think I was a wee bit of a snob by then for after all we had moved from the Townhead to the scheme housing in Balornock!

My first love, however, was that gallant, caring wee boy in Townhead School, my first "boyfriend" that wasn't! I wonder whatever became of him. In due time I married my own American "Greek God," equally gallant and caring, and have shared 55 years of marriage which brought three children and nine grandchildren, plus five great-grandchildren into this world...but I'm STILL carrying the torch for that wee boy in Townhead School! Who was he? What was his name? Where did he live, and did he find his way home again from St. James Rd.

One question: Between Castle Street and Stirling Rd., on the lefthand side going toward Stirling Rd., there was a "fraternal" building sandwiched between the tenements named the Shiloh Hall. Does anyone know anything about it?

Maisie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 28th Jun 2010, 10:38am
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Maisie,

A great recollection! Thanks for sharing it with us.

I was in the Townhead area last week and took a few pix of the places you mentioned, although, of course, most have long gone.

Attached Image

Barony Church

Attached Image

Remnants of Townhead School (girls' entrance)

Attached Image

Townhead School (infants' entrance)

Attached Image

Remnants of Townhead School (girls' entrance looking towards Provand's Lordship)

Attached Image

Remnants of Townhead School (boys' entrance)

Attached Image

Martyrs' School, Parson Street

Attached Image

Shiloh Hall? (Latterly the Townhead Tenants Association Hall)

Attached Image

Site of the Townhead Library

Attached Image

Motorway (looking towards Parson Street)

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
*Andy Wilson*
post 23rd Jul 2010, 04:43pm
Post #3

"Shilo hall" was I reckon originally "The independent order of Rechabites" hall-then became a meeting place for the Temperance society-(thats the sign I remember on the building)-in other words-a "teetotallers" meeting place,popular among the anti alcohol fraternity in the early 1900's till 1930's-thats where an estwhile imbiber of the Devils brew had to "Sign the Pledge and give up the demon drink-in Glasgow?-nae chance! smile.gif

+Quote Post
weelew
post 18th Aug 2012, 09:48pm
Post #4

City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,131
That hall was the Salvation Army hall when i staayed in Stirling road . stayed in No57 and this hall was right next to us . My granny was the Care taker when it was the Salvation Army hall and me and my pals would go in there and play when she was in cleaning .It had a big cellar wher they used to store the coke for the heating and we used to play down there .We would get covered in the dust and end up manky and my Mammy would go off her head For a long time it was the only thing still standing in that part of Stirling road ,not been there for a while but i would imagine it would be gone by now.

This post has been edited by weelew: 18th Aug 2012, 09:48pm

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Aug 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.