Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ross Hospital, help!!! information needed
**Margaret**
post 29th Jun 2012, 09:44pm
Post #31

My one and only daughter was born in Ross Hospital on 1 October 1960 and my first son was born at Ross Hospital on 11 May 1963. Wonderful hospital. Unfortunately, I lost my beautiful daughter on 10 May 2010. Every little memory counts.

Margaret, Vancouver, Canada
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Denise**
post 5th Aug 2012, 12:49pm
Post #32

Hi I was born in the Ross Hospital Paisley which was used as a Maternity hospital until the late 70s/80s when the NHS used it as an admin building. I was born there on 4th October 1960 I never understood why as my mum and dad lived in Govanhill Glasgow and my sister was born 2yrs later in Rottenrow. Ross hospital sat at the corner of the junction of Hawkhead Rd, Hurlet Rd and Barrhead Rd just before the present St.Andrews Acadamey Paisley. Hawkhead Hospital was on Hawkhead Rd (this is now turned into new build flats) and the existing entrance is still there you will find this on google maps. As far as I am led to believe it was the same entrance into Ross Hospital. I spoke with a nurse who used to work there who spoke about the dedication of the nursing staff including one of the sisters who used to save the glass ginger bottles and buy prams for the hospital as she believed in giving her babies as much fresh air as possible. It was always big prams she bouoght but not silver cross can remember the name now.

+Quote Post
maryhillresident
post 5th Aug 2012, 08:29pm
Post #33

Settling In
Member No.: 12,590
QUOTE (*Denise* @ 5th Aug 2012, 03:04pm) *
Hi I was born in the Ross Hospital Paisley which was used as a Maternity hospital until the late 70s/80s when the NHS used it as an admin building. I was born there on 4th October 1960 I never understood why as my mum and dad lived in Govanhill Glasgow and my sister was born 2yrs later in Rottenrow. Ross hospital sat at the corner of the junction of Hawkhead Rd, Hurlet Rd and Barrhead Rd just before the present St.Andrews Acadamey Paisley. Hawkhead Hospital was on Hawkhead Rd (this is now turned into new build flats) and the existing entrance is still there you will find this on google maps. As far as I am led to believe it was the same entrance into Ross Hospital. I spoke with a nurse who used to work there who spoke about the dedication of the nursing staff including one of the sisters who used to save the glass ginger bottles and buy prams for the hospital as she believed in giving her babies as much fresh air as possible. It was always big prams she bouoght but not silver cross can remember the name now.

"Churchill" was the Rolls Royce of prams, bigger than Silver Cross.

+Quote Post
*V. Watson*
post 17th Aug 2012, 03:21pm
Post #34

I was trained as a midwife at the Glasgow Royal Maternity (Rottenrow) and two months of that 1 year training (1966-1967) was spent at the then Paisley Maternity Hospital, Hawkeshead. The hospital was only 3 floors, the part of the 2nd and all of the 3rd floor living quarters for the nurses (including the matron). It is now known as the Ross Hospital. I really enjoyed my time spent at both hospitals. The Paisley was termed "the sister hospital" of the Rottenrow one.

+Quote Post
habmadab
post 27th Aug 2012, 10:34pm
Post #35

Unpacking
Member No.: 13,468
My eldest was born in the Ross in 1969 - it was an overspill from Rottenrow.

My Youngest was transferred to Ross memorial hospital in Dingwall from the Raigmore in 1971,

So 2 Ross hospitals almost 200 miles paart!

+Quote Post
*John Ross*
post 26th Dec 2012, 04:40pm
Post #36

I was born at Ross Hospital on 14 February 1959. I hope I am related to the original Rosses of Hawkhead, and that there are still descendants alive today that I can trace. Please leave a note if you know of these Rosses and I will try and make contact with you. I am investigating (or at least trying to) my family tree and this would be an interesting addition. (But probably not, but you never know!!). My mum was Ellen and my dad Bobby but he probably wasn't at my birth as that is a relatively new phenomenon.

+Quote Post
**mick**
post 8th Dec 2013, 10:06am
Post #37

I was born in 1961 in the Ross because all maternity beds in Glasgow were full I ended up with cerebral palsy because the staff starved my brain of oxygen and told my mother how would she feel if she hit her head of a brick wall I might have cerebral palsy but it didn't stop me qualifying as a LAWYER!

+Quote Post
*Big nose*
post 18th Jan 2017, 09:16pm
Post #38

This conversation went on for many years and ceased a decade ago but it's still here. I'm so glad it is though. Is anybody still listening?

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 18th Jan 2017, 09:36pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Yes, we are.

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 25th Jan 2017, 04:32am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Aw Gallus you made me laugh....thank you !
Very rarely look at the boards these days but I have 2 upset bairns and its 4 am...your little quip brought a smile to my face.
Is the Ross not a private hospital now ? similar to the Nuffield in the West End.
I do miss the humour that was once the trade mark of this board. Like life in general now its all bitterness and division...Trump.Brexit,Indyref...tragic.
I hope you are well and enjoying life.

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 25th Jan 2017, 08:02pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Hi Ross, Glad I gave you a wee smile, they are rare enough on the boards these days. smile.gif I don't know much about the Ross Hospital but I will bet there are a number of folks, who like me, peek in but don't post much, who do. Like you I am spending the day with a wee grandson who is a bit out of sorts. He had his 12 months shots yesterday and is running a wee fever. Life is good. It has been an interesting year, all in all. Hope 2017 is a cracker for you and your family and that you get some info. about the Ross Hospital. See how a slid back on topic (kinda) before Martin noticed I was wandering again? lol GB

+Quote Post
tottie ann
post 26th Jan 2017, 03:45am
Post #42

Visitor
Member No.: 1,953
QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 25th Jan 2017, 08:02pm) *
Hi Ross, Glad I gave you a wee smile, they are rare enough on the boards these days. smile.gif I don't know much about the Ross Hospital but I will bet there are a number of folks, who like me, peek in but don't post much, who do. Like you I am spending the day with a wee grandson who is a bit out of sorts. He had his 12 months shots yesterday and is running a wee fever. Life is good. It has been an interesting year, all in all. Hope 2017 is a cracker for you and your family and that you get some info. about the Ross Hospital. See how a slid back on topic (kinda) before Martin noticed I was wandering again? lol GB

+Quote Post
tottie ann
post 26th Jan 2017, 03:50am
Post #43

Visitor
Member No.: 1,953

I had my son in ross hospital in 1964 and I was well looked after the nursing staff were great and what a compliment to be given my own room

+Quote Post
*Carole donald*
post 17th May 2017, 09:19pm
Post #44

I gave birth to 2 girls at Ross hospital in 1967 and 1969. It was a wonderful place with separate rooms for all mothers. We had a funny incident in 67. Ron McKinnon of Rangers Football Club was in the vestibule as his wife had given birth. He was quite a looker so all us mums got titivated up, baffies and flowery nylon dressing gowns and we walked up and down the corridor eyeballing him like silly teenagers! Well some of us were very young!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.