Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Balornock
*Guest*
post 16th Aug 2012, 02:15pm
Post #46

QUOTE (flashton @ 2nd Apr 2007, 11:42pm) *
cool.gif cool.gif I used to live in Wallacewell Road and went to St Martha's. I remember the shops on ? Broomfield Rd., Gaffney's the newsagents. Galbraith's, the hardware store which later became Mc Callums hairdressers. There was also a butcher's I think.
Spent lots of time in Springburn Park catching minnows in the two ponds and playing on the swings.
I worked at Stobhill and got married in the Immaculate Heart. Left Glasgow in 1970, but still visit.
It would be nice to hear from other Balornockites.

I was born and raised in Wallacewell Rd, and went to St. Martha's school for a short while, before attending St. Catherine's School in Rye Rd. My Secondary School was All Saints in Scotsburn Road.

Do you mind if I ask you your name.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**tracy**
post 12th Sep 2012, 08:07pm
Post #47

Hi Red! I realise this reply is years late, but I have just stumbled across this site.

I noticed that your father was charles johnston from 201 avonspark st. My mum is also a johnston from that very address and her dads name was charles johnston, and her relations are helen and john doig from menzies road.

My mums name is Isobel and is the oldest of 3 other johnstons. It would seem that you and my mum are related.

Love Tracy x

+Quote Post
**tracy**
post 12th Sep 2012, 08:26pm
Post #48

Hi Red! I realise this reply is years late, but I have just stumbled across this site.

I noticed that your uncle was charles johnston from 201 avonspark st. My mum is also a johnston from that very address and her dads name was charles johnston, and her relations are helen and john doig from menzies road.
My mums name is Isobel and is the oldest of 3 other johnstons.
It would seem that you and my mum are related .

Love Tracy x

+Quote Post
*allymac*
post 9th Mar 2013, 08:55pm
Post #49

I was also born Stobhill in 1979, baptised St Catherine Laboure on Lamont Road brought up 177 Wallacewell road, went to Acredyke nursery, went to St Bedes in p1 and 2 before moving away to Falkirk and spent summers at the playscheme - day trips to Palacerigg in Cumbernauld etc..

My grandparents were Pat and Rita (Margaret) McCann, who later moved round to the "Swedish" houses in Eastburn Road. They were lifelong friends with Maggie Skeith, Granny Jean (Lamont road), Betty and Robert Wilson and various other Balornock regulars. Would love to hear from anyone who might remember me or my rather large family of McCanns from Balornock.

My mum is Marie, her sisters are Bernadette, Rita and Patricia. Brothers are Michael, Edward and Stephen (passed away 1989). My mum and the younger siblings went to All Saints and the her sisters went to Garnethill.

+Quote Post
*Alex Boyd*
post 11th May 2013, 12:07pm
Post #50

Our family moved into Wallacewell Quadrant from Partick and I attended Barmulloch Primary and Albert Senior Secondary before moving to Australia in 1972 aged 15.
I remember James McNair lived two doors over and James Wylie lived two doors the other way.
I guess the pace has changed as Google Earth shows the Methadone Clinic opposite where we lived.
I always remember walking the dogs on the "hill" and them chasing rabbits around the "Bing".

My memory of catching a bus to school up Springburn Hill was always on a double decker and upstairs was for smokers (both my parents smoked). So I always remember winters were really bad when I went with Mum when she was working at Stobhill hospital I guess that accounts for my wheezy chest and definite reluctance to take up smoking.
smile.gif
Alex B

+Quote Post
*Margaret Doig*
post 25th Apr 2014, 02:31pm
Post #51

Hi Red This is your cousin Margaret I now stay at 76 Menzies Road, Balornock, Glasgow. I have just come across your site today and have all the whereabouts of the rest of the family. Do hope you drop into the site again as it would be good to hear from you.

+Quote Post
pollydoodle
post 19th Jan 2015, 03:14pm
Post #52

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,588
QUOTE (arch @ 19th Oct 2007, 12:21pm) *
I moved to Balornock in 1947 as first tenants in the Swedish houses in Lamont Road. Does anyone remember any of the people who lived there then. Working back from number 121 there was the Murray family, the Dixons, the Whites, Harris, Smith, Melvin, Marshall,McBride, Blyth, Devine,. I'm not sure of some of the names after that. I was friends with Fiona McBride from further up the road, and Betty Cousins. I went to Balornock school before going to Albert. My husband moved from Springburn to Lamont Road next door to me. He attended Wellfield School before going to Albert. We married in 1959 and came to Australia with our three kids in 1970. Archie came across this Glasgow guide and we thought it was terrific. Elizabeth Marshall

hi arch do you remember the Mc Dougals>>>>> GEORGE,ROBERT sister nan brothers angus hector, the boys robert and george,went to australia. there mum and dad were Angus and Nan. we were not related but we called them aunt and uncle. we all grew up together in possilpark. polly doodle

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 20th Jan 2015, 12:31am
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Whenever I visit,it seems the 'Swedish houses' area is always in tip top shape,and still a nice area.We moved there when the houses were just built in 1946 (Tuck Family 9 Woodhill Rd)..I was a milk boy and a paper boy so I knew the area well.

+Quote Post
Garth Fletcher
post 14th Apr 2015, 09:54pm
Post #54

Unpacking
Member No.: 269
My grandparents (Fletchers) and children moved to 424 Broomfield Rod (Contiguous with the school wall) around 1930 (When were these houses built?). My brother and I moved to live with them during the war in 1943. Both of us went to Balornock Primary until we were about 11, then went to Colston Junior Secondary School. I left school when I was 15 (1951) and emigrated to Canada where our father had moved after WW II.
I remember Balornock very well catching minnows in the Sprinburn Park pond and even one year climbing over the park fence to play on the ice covered boating pond (cold year?). I remember the fun we had sliding down a tree in the rock garden. Rock garden looks much better today (I visited there a couple of years ago)--sad about the Winter Gardens. Myself and friends used to get through the fence surrounding the Balornock school and play games on the then open decks? When the caretaker saw us we would race to the nearest gate and open it--it was only a square key type lock for which we had a small piece of steel that fitted it--se we could be out on the street almost instantly----doubt the keeper really wanted to catch us.
Does anyone remember that right across the street from the school was a huge city dump--this is where we used to play catching rides on the back of the lorries. Also does anyone remember what we referred to as the coal bing on the horizon? At that place of adventure we could peer down open mine shafts and walk on old pipelines that crossed what might have been settling ponds--I couldn't swim then.
I do remember when the Swedish houses were being built--great place to play. My grandfather's brother/ brother's son moved there after the war and my grandfather took Private hedge cuttings for him to plant along the edge of his garden.

If anyone has memories/pictures of the area in the late 40s I'd love to see them.

Garth

+Quote Post
*Maggi Provan*
post 10th May 2015, 10:15pm
Post #55

I was brought up at No. 6 Eastburn Rd from - 1962 until 1976 with my Foster Parents, William and Sadie (Sarah) McGuigan. I was brought up as Margaret McGuigan then. Went to St Marthas Primary then All Saints Secondary. Stayed there until I turned 16 years old. Is there anyone else that was there at this time? Would love to hear from you. Both William and Sadie McGuigan have long passed away now.

Thankyou
Maggi smile.gif x

+Quote Post
*yvonne swanston*
post 21st Sep 2015, 10:13pm
Post #56

i stayed in acerdyke rd was brought up there since i was born then my hose went on fire and i moved to birdston rd loved life back in the day

+Quote Post
bindi
post 11th Jan 2016, 10:13am
Post #57

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,471
QUOTE (allymac @ 9th Mar 2013, 09:03pm) *
I was also born Stobhill in 1979, baptised St Catherine Laboure on Lamont Road brought up 177 Wallacewell road, went to Acredyke nursery, went to St Bedes in p1 and 2 before moving away to Falkirk and spent summers at the playscheme - day trips to Palacerigg in Cumbernauld etc..

My grandparents were Pat and Rita (Margaret) McCann, who later moved round to the "Swedish" houses in Eastburn Road. They were lifelong friends with Maggie Skeith, Granny Jean (Lamont road), Betty and Robert Wilson and various other Balornock regulars. Would love to hear from anyone who might remember me or my rather large family of McCanns from Balornock.

My mum is Marie, her sisters are Bernadette, Rita and Patricia. Brothers are Michael, Edward and Stephen (passed away 1989). My mum and the younger siblings went to All Saints and the her sisters went to Garnethill.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 9th May 2016, 10:25am
Post #58

QUOTE (allymac @ 9th Mar 2013, 08:55pm) *

Hi there

yes i remember them all, i grew up right next door to your grandparents and all the family. We lived next door most of our lives. Your aunts and uncles went to school with my older brothers and sisters. Your uncle Stephen was a friend of my brother who is also Steven. i remember you being born just about haha. Edward helped my mum when she had an accident at home got her to hospital where she got 26 stiches. he may remember us all. The brown family, john,marion (my mum and dad) angela, steven,lorraine me lynne and john.

hope you get this

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 27th Dec 2016, 09:33pm
Post #59

Hello. Lived in Menzies road from 1969ish. Went to balornock primary and Albert secondary. We were decanted to Lamont road in 1979-80 at No 7. I remember a boy about the same age that lived a bit further down. I also remember David Carroll. He didn't live in Lamont road but still in the Swedish houses he was a friend of George. I loved the discos in the Brunswick on Friday nights. Does anyone remember too?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.