Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A'm Waitin For Johnny, Glasgows best barber?
marcam7
post 29th Aug 2010, 08:19pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 7,824
The Johnny in question was wee Johnny Ionta ,Glasgows finest barber,back in the fifties this was the place ,at that time Glasgow had lots of fancy hair salons Johnnys was a room and kitchen it opened its doors at six in the morning catering for the men that worked in the numerous bakeries in the Gallowgate area.This was inthe time of the Tony Curtis the crew cut full or semi and the soon to come Perry Como all done with a pair of scissors and a razor no frictions here if you didnae have a parting he cut one with the razor he worked with his brother Danny and a other man at weekends people came from all over the city especially cyclists i dont know w hat the attraction was but they'd be there in there droves every day you couldnae get in the close for flying scots this was the place for baldies Johnny took the same time usually about half an hour with their back and sides as withanyone else he done that good a job on them a sometimes wished a was a baldie.The big snag was the wee man was that good that everybody waited for Johnny you dreaded it as a chair would become empty to hear those words am waitin fur Johnny lots of times i cracked and would halve to settle for Danny,the wee man could talk for Scotland puntin horses was his best subject you could feel the vibes abody thinking just get on with it but no you all got the same immaculate attention to detail just some longer than others on time set aside for bletherin,the other thing about Johnny was, he stood on a box to cut your hair you knew when he jumped off he was away on a rant you guessed it, horses,we had great barbers all over the city Cambridge st Dundas st, Brunswick lane, across from the Barrowland, Shettleston main st maybe someone could put a name to them but in my opinion wee Johnny Ionta was the biggest of them all,Marcam7
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 29th Aug 2010, 11:14pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Fusco's?

+Quote Post
magsos
post 29th Aug 2010, 11:40pm
Post #3

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,052
I believe Johnny Ionta was a very good barber,and popular in the East End of Glasgow.I worked in the ladies salon of Avella`s in Dundas St.My boss was Guido Avella,he and all his staff were great barbers..Pat Mallon,Pat Manion,George Preston Ronnie Barnett,Bill Egan.Some of the guys who worked there.Johnny Fusco was a pal of Guidos,and came into the shop many times.

I loved working there,got to see some football stars etc..maybe some guys on the board will remember some of the barbers there.

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Aug 2010, 07:09am
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Fantastic recollections, thanks.

Is this the great man?

http://www.glaswegians.org/photos/tag/johnny-ionta

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
stratson
post 30th Aug 2010, 11:18am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (wellfield @ 30th Aug 2010, 01:16am) *
Fusco's?

Fusco's was in Cambridge Street,Every smile.gif male I knew, friends and family went there. That would be early '50's, smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 30th Aug 2010, 12:07pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (stratson @ 30th Aug 2010, 02:20pm) *
Fusco's was in Cambridge Street,Every male I knew, friends and family went there. That would be early '50's,

Went there straight efter school 1958-59. Friction fairly burnt yer scalp and it was aw for nowt when ye came oot the shop intae the teemin rain ! sad.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 31st Aug 2010, 03:47am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Och' Bilbo..Ye' could have borrowed ma' curlin' tongs!!...Lol

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 31st Aug 2010, 06:24am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (wellfield @ 31st Aug 2010, 06:49am) *
Och' Bilbo..Ye' could have borrowed ma' curlin' tongs!!...Lol

Too late noo but thanks for the thought. Ony hair restorer ? rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
marcam7
post 3rd Sep 2010, 09:00pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 7,824
I'm amazed you could come up with that photo the wee man must have put his prices up as it looks far to luxurious,I should have mentioned that Johnny took what would have amounted to 5p whereas the top boys were taking 50p and they couldnae live wi a wee Johnny cut,instantly recognisable and naw ye didnae get a bunnet going out the door.Marcam7

+Quote Post
Hollster
post 5th May 2012, 11:44am
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,835
I was wondering if anyone had any more information on Guido Avella please, i would really appreciate it. Thank you

+Quote Post
*Jack dougall*
post 1st Mar 2018, 07:39pm
Post #11

Great wee barber, unforgetable character, non-stop patter. If you looked as if you were just about old enough to be working, most barbers would say "are you working". Wee Johnny always said "where are you working". Johnny had a cracking looking wife, a bawherr over 5 feet tall, who was brought over from Italy to marry him, but she still managed to tower over the wee man.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.