Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dugshots: Glasgow's War On Terriers, Enforcement spotlight turns on canine offenders
Rabbie
post 10th Dec 2011, 01:46am
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (DannyH @ 10th Dec 2011, 12:35am) *
We as a nation have lost pride in our country. Oh yes we will sing "Oh Flower of Scotland" at football matches and other events, throwing our chests out with pride, while at the same time dropping tons of litter at our feet.

I disagree!

For one, speaking for myself, as it were. I have not lost pride in the UK, yet. This once fine nation can be saved from losing its unique identity.

However, I am jolly well miffed at the way we are mismanaged and about all PC wiffle we are bombarded with. PC, for me is far worse than any amount of dog fouling or wee nyaffs littering the streets with cider bottles and fag ends.

Oh, for the record, I do not possess a sense of humour. In fact, it has been remarked by top scientists that I have no sense at awe; lead and mercury posioning apparently.

Thankfully, in my favour I cannea and willnea sing. Also, ah certainly do not drop litter or foul the streets. I am properly hoose trained and free to a guid hame, just contact Missus Rabbie ;()

tongue.gif

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Dec 2011, 12:12pm
Post #47

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (DannyH @ 10th Dec 2011, 12:35am) *
I am sorry, but I don't agree with some of the contributors to this discussion who seem to think this is a laughing matter. ...

It is too late now for Glasgow Councillors to reverse dog fouling or the litter problem. It is part of our culture whether we like it or not. Some of the responses on this discussion confirm this. It is a big joke. Travel on any train or bus in Glasgow and surrounding areas and by the time you reach your destination you will see litter all over these vehicles. Look out the windows during your journey and what do you see? Litter everywhere. ...

Danny, thanks for your very interesting comments on dog fouling and litter in general. We have had a bit of fun here with our replies, but I think that this is typical of Glaswegian humour ... laughing in the face of adversity, or, perhaps in this case, stupidity?

I am sure everyone knows how serious the litter problem is in Glasgow. You only have to walk down any street: from the city centre to the peripheral housing estates, to see streets filled with discarded rubbish and other dirt.

I think we have to look at the underlying reasons, and I would certainly agree that pride in the community (or civic pride, as another poster refered to it) is a major factor. But who/what sets the tone for pride in a community? You mention Glasgow councillors, and I would agree: I think they bear a heavy burden of responsibility for allowing a generational slide in Glaswegians' pride in their own community. Similarly, other city politicians also carry that burden. But to what extent have politicians set an example likely to promote pride in one's community?

Very rarely do politicians even live in the communities which they claim to care so deeply for? Take the case of the ex-MP for Springburn, he represented the poorest constituency in the country while living in one of the most affluent, even then he spent most of his time in London. For many people, the only time they see a politician in their community is when they come knocking on doors looking for a vote ... then another four or five years pass.

Of course, people make their own choices in life. However, those choices are largely determined by their environment, upbringing and, according to the latest social research, overwhelmingly to the levels of inequality in a society. Is it any wonder that pride in our communities has plummeted at exactly the same time that levels of inequality have reached Victorian proportions? It was mentioned that Canadians have more pride in their communities ... is it surprising that Canada is a much more 'equal' country that the UK? Take the least unequal countries in the world: Finland, Norway, Japan, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium, Austria and Germany. Can anyone imagine their streets over-flowing with litter?

I'm just inviting people to look at the underlying reasons as to why Glasgow is such a dirty city. I'm not saying that I have all the answers ... but I do suspect that photographing dogs is not one of them.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Dec 2011, 12:16pm
Post #48

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 10th Dec 2011, 01:05am) *
I disagree!

For one, speaking for myself, as it were. I have not lost pride in the UK, yet. This once fine nation can be saved from losing its unique identity. ...

I refer the learned member to the response I gave some moments ago. wink.gif

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Dec 2011, 01:02pm
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
The streets in German towns and cities certainly do not overflow with litter, GG, but I'm starting to wonder how long that might last. Even though we have very many litter bins on the local mountain and surrounding beauty spots (I've even got a film of the refuse collection on the mountain and the guys sweeping and blowing the leaves off the gravel by the BBQ) but in the last few years I've seen too that littering is creeping in around here. We regularly have to take tetra-pacs and bottles out of the hedge, yesterday a broken umbrella, and on the riverside this week I found a wardrobe door complete with mirror. Who drives out of town and then walks along the river to dump a wardrobe door?
As for Sooper Dooper Pooper Scoopers, maybe the dog owners are on benefits with sore backs and can't Stoop t' Scoop, in which case ... I've found the answer.
The No-Stoop Poop Hoop. laugh.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiuHFgJM1BU...player_embedded

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 10th Dec 2011, 02:30pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I would bend over backwards for one of them tongue.gif (and if I had a dug of course)

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
*Samantha*
post 10th Dec 2011, 08:07pm
Post #51

Why should it be the fault of politicians when people throw litter or let their dogs foul in the streets? I don't see the logic in that all. Surely an individual makes that decision, not a politician?

+Quote Post
*ross*
post 10th Dec 2011, 09:21pm
Post #52

Simple solution - take the dogs off of people who are not fit to keep them whether they let them s**t in the street, bark at night or are on the loose!

+Quote Post
benny
post 11th Dec 2011, 02:46am
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Quote:
"There is a legal requirement for people to clean up after their dogs and that is what Clean Glasgow is enforcing. There is no law requiring riders to clean up manure left by their horses on public pathways.

Horses are vegetarian, so their manure does not present the same health risks as dog faeces."

Whit if it's a vegetarian dug - or a vegetarian human for that matter?

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 11th Dec 2011, 09:05am
Post #54

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
This is not merely stupid, but rather unenforceable. How many pooper snoopers will the council employ, and in which areas? If they work 9 till 5, how are they going to collate the figures when other dogs do their business after these hours? Are people then expected to phone up a hotline detailing where and when this occurred? If so, how very Nazi of them. Perhaps we should just call them the S.S. after springer spaniels. What happens if one tenant/former partner makes a malicious call, will this be taken at face value or given credence by the doggie enforcers? You see how silly this is? By all means inject some civic pride into our communities, but this idea would just make you really angry that this the best way of using council tax payers money as more and more staff are paid off during these times of austerity © D. Cameron.

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Dec 2011, 10:39am
Post #55

Administrator
Group Icon
Tam, when I first started taking photographs in communities in Glasgow, around 15 years ago, lot of people would approach me and ask me why I was taking photographs. At that time, almost all of the people would be polite and were just being inquisitive. Once I had explained to them that it was to allow people to view places in the community on the Internet – especially for Glaswegians who now lived abroad, I could see how proud they were of their community and often they would tell me stories about the locale. It was, for instance, while talking to a man walking his dog in the Gorbals that I found out from an eye-witness about examples of the very sad demise of Benny Lynch.

Today, taking photographs in Glasgow communities is much different to just 15 years ago. People are now much more suspicious of photographers and, I have to say, there is more hostility. There are other factors, but I think there is now a much more heightened sense of suspicion, anxiety and hostility because people feel more watched than ever before, and also they are less welcoming of strangers in their community. I also see much fewer people walking the streets of Glasgow than just that short time ago.

No doubt, this dugshots initiative will make taking photographs in Glasgow even harder. As you say, it will likely do little to promote civic pride. Personally, I think people have to feel pride in their communities intrinsically, not have that pride forced on them by external threats.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Dec 2011, 11:35am
Post #56

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 10th Dec 2011, 12:21pm) *
The streets in German towns and cities certainly do not overflow with litter, GG, but I'm starting to wonder how long that might last. ...

THH, Germany is an interesting country for social scientists to study: due to unification in 1990, it is a country which was once amongst the world's most equal is today slipping rapidly from Nordic levels of equality to now beginning to approach the OECD average. It's unsual to see these changes happen so rapidly in a developed country. If you believe the data interpretations made by these scientists, then what you are witnessing where you stay is a result of increased levels of income inequality feeding into the mindsets and behaviours of Germans of all classes. People have less pride in their communities, experience lower self-esteem, are more resentful, etc. ... and this isn't just in the poorer neighbourhoods, but across all income levels.

There are some interesting notes on Germany from the OECD study into inequality from this year:

http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/50/49/49177659.pdf

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
youngsy
post 11th Dec 2011, 12:08pm
Post #57

Settling In
Member No.: 8,726
QUOTE (beth @ 9th Dec 2011, 04:08am) *
Youngsy, that is what I thought, a kid on, it is surely?

As someone who is originally from Drumchapel i would hope it's a wind up because if it's legit i would worry about the education of kids from the scheme if this is the level of intelligence being applied to the local community by local council representatives.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 11th Dec 2011, 01:14pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (GG @ 11th Dec 2011, 09:58am) *
Today, taking photographs in Glasgow communities is much different to just 15 years ago. People are now much more suspicious of photographers and, I have to say, there is more hostility. There are other factors, but I think there is now a much more heightened sense of suspicion, anxiety and hostility because people feel more watched than ever before, and also they are less welcoming of strangers in their community. I also see much fewer people walking the streets of Glasgow than just that short time ago.
GG.

Aye Martin as ye ken this is just not a unique happening in Glasgea. In many places CCTV's are now installed in lavvies. Albiet not actually in the lassies cubby holes, yet! Give the PC pervy society haulf a chance, a piccie of yer erse will available, for the Publics' delectation on Farcebook. Mind ye in some repects that may well just be a drastic improvement on some fowks coupons. laugh.gif

We are endlessly force feed the stock and jaded excuse that CCTV's are here for our own good and security. Does there not come a point when this, lets face it this surveillance under the guise of security becomes intrusive? In many instances I would submit that it does, the alarm bells should be peeling loud and clear. Perhaps it is time to legislate, more money for the corporate legal beagles as they have been hit hard by the financial doonturn. Awe..

I would put it to the honourable membership that it is jolly high time that the installlation of CCTV was subjected to some form of regulation. Furthermore, whilst on me soap boax that thier installation is drastically reduced to say; building interiors, shops or where thier use is essential for safety. Furthermore, any data recorded / stored is automatically, permenantly and irrecoverably destroyed after 24 hours.

Putting it in layman terms, if one cannot apprehend a juvenile in the act of purloining confectioneries, surely the instance has returned to were we should be more reliant on the good auld fashioned Mk 1. eyeball and for the return of the "Watchie." Do retailers not employ "security guards" to deter innocent fowks from recreational photography of thier own offspring? Perhaps these individuals could be better employed, whitewaashing coal bunkers and the ones that manage these bonehieds sent to the uranium mines in the utter hebrides.

I feel that some people are indeed beginning to react to intrusive surveillance in a negative fashion, no doubt the ned fraternity dissapprove strongly, quite rightly too. Of course the PC winkers dribble on that if you have nothing to hide or are doing nothing illegal that there is nothing to be concerned with. Well I disagree with PC in all it's ugly forms and guises even if was "correct".

The trouble with PC, is that it is here in the UK.

Way back in the day, not so long ago, when Tommy was an auld man perhaps many of oor senior members recall sections of Glasgow you would just not only be welcome in, if you crossed the threshhold you wid get yer hied on yer haunds to play with. Perhaps these days just being unwelcome is a vast improvement. Back then dug poo was a problem too and ye had to be lucky not to step in it, that was just in Comfy Cardieland, Bearsden.

Right noo, where wus ah. Aye that brings us back tae potlickers.

The whole idea of dug photies tae reduce fouling is absurd beyond belief. Perhaps education and gentle encouragement like rubbing the owners nose in it would reduce these instances. I have a sneaky wee inkling that behind this looney tune incentive is a financially and mentally challenged cooncil desperate to generate income in the form of issuing parking tickets for dug joabbies

Dugs and dug owners! We are noo onto ye, yer coupons huv been swaged and ur noo stored in oor Database.

Attached Image

Lets hope in the interests of all things PC that the duggie database does not get mixed up wi' The Honourable Cooncilers' pron stache.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 11th Dec 2011, 01:33pm
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
GG, very interesting item from the OECD. What a lot of people outside of Germany don't realise is that the re-unification brought with it an awful lot of resentment; on both sides. I was one who cheered when the wall was opened; by nature I'm against barriers, but Mary said back then; "Just you wait and see what this will cost us (in the West)."
West Germans were always a hard working and serious minded people; they'd be at their work place and ready to start 10 minutes before time. East Germans were guaranteed work even when there was practically no work for them which created an easy-ohsey attitude to work. Those from the East who came into the West were taken by surprise at the workpace expected and although the money was far better amenities were much dearer and the work life more stressful. Meanwhile, to get the East back onto it's commercial feet required billions of West tax money to be poured into East Germany plus the additional requirement of "Solidarity" deductions from each and every West wage packet (I used to have between DM200 and DM300 monthly; 100 pounds +/-, "Solidarity" deductions) which, to this day, Mary and the rest of the west still have to fork out.( but in €'s of the same quantity rolleyes.gif)
East German qualifications were not recognised in the West so people from the East were down-graded to a greater extent and had to retrain to achieve equal qualification while earning less than their Western counterparts.
It really was a unification of two completely different mindsets and resentment was built-in from the start.
The West Germans resented the influx of a people who expected everything to be handed to them on a plate and the East Germans resented being treated like the poor relatives who had to prove themselves by starting at the bottom of the ladder.
22 years later?
22 years later we have a generation of "Ossies" (Easterners) who just happen to be born in the west.
To top it all there was the, seeming, lack of pride in one's surroundings; borne out by the polution left behind when the Soviets pulled out.
It really will take a long time before equality raises it's pretty head in Unified Germany.
Makes you wonder what will happen to the "Solidarity" deductions; a lot of money to stop rakin' in. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Dec 2011, 09:07pm
Post #60

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (GG @ 9th Dec 2011, 10:17pm) *
A council spokesman responded to the complaint: "Horses are vegetarian, so their manure does not present the same health risks as dog faeces."

Well saying the council spokesman didn't catch these two police horses waiting outside the 'Best Kebab' shop while their handlers went inside to get them a wee Donner! I took this earlier this year in Dundas Street ... and yes, it is ... bottom right!

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.