Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Glasgow Apologise For Slavery?, Increasing calls for the city to say sorry
angel
post 30th Jul 2016, 05:49pm
Post #196

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
this is an article from the Scotsman newspaper dated March 2007 . on the Glasgow Slave trade , I Googled for it .

People did find employment because of the Slave trade, and regarding their living conditions , those conditions existed long before that period . I am not to blame for this Slavery nor does any other on this board , but I do not stick my head in the sand and say it did not happen .

http://www.scotsman.com/news/glasgow-s-dark-secret-1-691912

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 30th Jul 2016, 10:22pm
Post #197

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (angel @ 30th Jul 2016, 06:49pm) *
this is an article from the Scotsman newspaper dated March 2007 . on the Glasgow Slave trade , I Googled for it .

People did find employment because of the Slave trade, and regarding their living conditions , those conditions existed long before that period . I am not to blame for this Slavery nor does any other on this board , but I do not stick my head in the sand and say it did not happen .

http://www.scotsman.com/news/glasgow-s-dark-secret-1-691912

Hello Angel

I don't think anyone on this forum has ever claimed the Slave Trade didn't happen. We don't have to go on Google for evidence of it. Some of us who still live in the Glasgow area are reminded of it daily, when we pass through the centre of Glasgow. There are still some magnificent buildings standing there which belonged to the very wealthy from past eras.

For some morbid reason, you have the affrontry to include the the poor people of Glasgow who lived during that era, as if they benefited from it. Many Glaswegians, and other workers in Scotland, worked for long hours for a pittance. It is now 2016 and we have people working on zero hours contracts, and one major employer in the retail lindustry was accused last week of its workers being subjected to Victorian times conditions.

On behalf of the citizens of Glagow, thank you for informing us that the Slave Trade existed. And you know what, see that article in the Scotsman, it was written 9 YEARS AGO. Took you a long time to find out about the Slave Trade, didn't it? Lots of us could have told you about the Slave Trade if you had only asked us.

We could have told you all about Blantyre, and David Livingstone. There is a memorial Park in Blantyre, Scotland, which thousands of people visit every year. I mention Blantyre, Scotland, because there is a town named Blantyre in honour of him in the African continent.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
angel
post 31st Jul 2016, 12:23am
Post #198

Mega City Key Holder
On behalf of the citizens of Glagow, thank you for informing us that the Slave Trade existed. And you know what, see that article in the Scotsman, it was written 9 YEARS AGO. Took you a long time to find out about the Slave Trade, didn't it? Lots of us could have told you about the Slave Trade if you had only asked us.
-------------------------------------------------------------

I know when the article was written , I already mentioned the date yes.gif .

but 9yrs on , it still would not make the slightest difference in the story of Glasgow and the slave trade , I am well aware of that history as I know others are . but I did post the article to inform YOU in particular .............. No other reason .!

PS As a matter of fact , again for your information , I have posted on this topic quite a few times .

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 31st Jul 2016, 01:12am
Post #199

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
thumbup.gif good furr yoo hen ,don't be bullied laugh.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 31st Jul 2016, 11:51am
Post #200

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (wombat @ 31st Jul 2016, 02:12am) *
:thumbup: good furr yoo hen ,don't be bullied :lol:

Hello Angel and Wombat

Just had a wee thought. How about you two starting a campaign to get your respective Governments to give back the land that you live in, to the indigenous people who inhabited it. Probably a waste of time, because you decimated them. Not you two personally of course, but neither did the poor people of Glasgow benefit from the slave trade.

By the way, the title of this topic is, SHOULD GLASGOW APOLOGISE FOR SLAVERY, not "Why are Glaswegians burying their heads in the sand"

Wombat, forums are forums, which mean discussion. If someone writes in the strident tones that Angel does, and doesn't expect a reply which doesn't agree with hers, then she has been away from Glasgow too long, and obviously you have been too. You continuous use of inane pictures sums you up. A coward.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
angel
post 31st Jul 2016, 12:12pm
Post #201

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 31st Jul 2016, 10:51am) *
Hello Angel and Wombat

Just had a wee thought. How about you two starting a campaign to get your respective Governments to give back the land that you live in, to the indigenous people who inhabited it. Probably a waste of time, because you decimated them. Not you two personally of course, but neither did the poor people of Glasgow benefit from the slave trade.

By the way, the title of this topic is, SHOULD GLASGOW APOLOGISE FOR SLAVERY, not "Why are Glaswegians burying their heads in the sand"

Wombat, forums are forums, which mean discussion. If someone writes in the strident tones that Angel does, and doesn't expect a reply which doesn't agree with hers, then she has been away from Glasgow too long, and obviously you have been too. You continuous use of inane pictures sums you up. A coward.

Danny Harris

More nonsense coming from you .

wacko.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 31st Jul 2016, 09:31pm
Post #202

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
I just watched "Roots" the new series,(not as good as the original in my opinion),far too violent,how the slaves were treated in the growing of tobacco,and I`m so sad to say,all through it, all I could picture was the magnificent buildings in Glasgow,which I only recently heard that were built on the proceeds of the tobacco trade.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 31st Jul 2016, 10:11pm
Post #203

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 31st Jul 2016, 10:31pm) *
I just watched "Roots" the new series,(not as good as the original in my opinion),far too violent,how the slaves were treated in the growing of tobacco,and I`m so sad to say,all through it, all I could picture was the magnificent buildings in Glasgow,which I only recently heard that were built on the proceeds of the tobacco trade.

Hello Taurus

Could you picture any poor people living in these magnificent buildings? They actually lived within walking distance from the magnificent buildings you are referring to. The buildings they lived were actually still around in the1960's. There are plenty of photos of them which can still be found. The one I lived in won't appear. It collapsed in 1959 when my parents were still living in it!

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 1st Aug 2016, 09:38pm
Post #204

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Surely more important to wipe out Modern Day slavery which is still rife in parts of Africa and
even here in the UK.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 1st Aug 2016, 09:49pm
Post #205

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 1st Aug 2016, 11:38pm) *
Surely more important to wipe out Modern Day slavery which is still rife in parts of Africa and
even here in the UK.

Quite right DJ. No, I am not being sarcastic!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 1st Aug 2016, 10:59pm
Post #206

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (angel @ 31st Jul 2016, 12:12pm) *
More nonsense coming from you .

laugh.gif laugh.gif

yes.gif laugh.gif Bwahahaaha
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 1st Aug 2016, 11:42pm
Post #207

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
QUOTE (DannyH @ 1st Aug 2016, 08:11am) *
Hello Taurus

Could you picture any poor people living in these magnificent buildings? They actually lived within walking distance from the magnificent buildings you are referring to. The buildings they lived were actually still around in the1960's. There are plenty of photos of them which can still be found. The one I lived in won't appear. It collapsed in 1959 when my parents were still living in it!

Regards

Danny Harris

I understand perfectly what you are saying Danny,regarding the haves and have nots. I just cringe a bit now to think what suffering the slaves endured for rich folk to get richer. And by the way,the tenement building I grew up in and felt safe in,and didn`t realise at the time that we were deprived,it got demolished early 60`s because the people on the 3rd story pulled off the doors to light a fire in the middle of their floor and set fire to the whole building,all this ,while my poor mother slept.So I know all about the great divide between the rich and the poor.But I can`t help thinking,we were still better off than the poor slaves in Virginia.

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 2nd Aug 2016, 06:21am
Post #208

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
All those 12 year olds sent down mines, up chimneys and forced into prostitution due to poverty never had it so good in the 18th century wacko.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
wombat
post 2nd Aug 2016, 09:44pm
Post #209

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (taurus @ 31st Jul 2016, 09:31pm) *

the white house was built using slave labour, some of the dumps I seen in brigton

a slaves quarters wid be cleaner. laugh.gif

i doubt the poor benefited, after all tobacco was another commodity from the rich to take their money and their health rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 2nd Aug 2016, 09:48pm
Post #210

Scotland abolished slavery in 1778, England 1803 and all territories 1n 1833. Britain was the first to abolish the Trans Atlantic slave trade, stopping all "Blackbirders" and impounding their human cargoes. France was 1794. There were few if none who abolished slavery prior to Scotland doing so. To maintain that Scotland made profit from the trade ( however indirectly as tobacco and sugar was picked by slaves) is in this day and age drawing a long bow. The emotive ignorance and reaction on the part of the "bleeding hearts" who take great pride in holding the conscience of a nation out to dry, serves no purpose than to afford some measure of righteous indignation and moral superiority to those who can fathom no lives outside of their own mediocre inaccurate interpretation of history.

The United States may have by the 13th amendment abolished slavery but in the southern states they, the African Americans still had no vote or voice until the late 1960s. In our own (some of us anyway) lifetime we saw Nazi Germany produce its' economic miracles with a vast pool of slaves, starved and murdered in their millions.

Lets hear some breast beating and chest thumping about them. Remembering those responsible went on to lead happy and productive lives, no guilt on their part, right into the 1980s and leave Scotland especially Glasgow out of this farce of historical retrospect.

I was not there, my great, great granny was not there and my family was sleeping under that big bridge in Glasgow having been cleared from the land they occupied for centuries. Lets hear it for them. 1778!!!

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.