Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Model Lodging Houses
**Claire**
post 8th May 2017, 06:39pm
Post #16

Hi. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of the model lodging house in muse lane?. On my Great Gran x3 death certificate it lists her death at 31 Muse Lane, Glasgow dated 1872. Was this part of the the model lodging house or would it have been a their own house?. I know when her son died in 1930 his death was listed at barn-hill but usual residence was edgefauld road. After researching this address it also appears to be a lodging house owned by 'Rosie's Homes".

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Claire.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 8th May 2017, 07:12pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Hi Claire. There was a womens model house in Muse lane but not sure which number it was. My paternal granny was born at 48 Muse Lane which was a house. There are a few photos of the lodging house on the Virtual Mitchell website. Mary

+Quote Post
monthecandy
post 19th Oct 2017, 11:08pm
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 32,956
Never read the whole thread but i stayed in Hope House on Clyde St a number of years back. It was run by the Sally Army. Believe it's now closed.

Was in most of the council run hostels, some better than others.

Belgrove Hotel is still there but it's a rough house.

There's very little in the way of accommodation for homeless men now in Glasgow.

Believe the term "Model" was a 19th Century term.

+Quote Post
*cedarbhoy*
post 24th Oct 2017, 07:19pm
Post #19

QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 8th May 2017, 07:12pm) *
Hi Claire. There was a womens model house in Muse lane but not sure which number it was. My paternal granny was born at 48 Muse Lane which was a house. There are a few photos of the lodging house on the Virtual Mitchell website. Mary

photo lodging house muse lane mary cheers.

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 20th Apr 2018, 04:38pm
Post #20

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
QUOTE (linlou @ 19th Jan 2008, 10:50pm) *
hi does any one out there know how the name model lodging house came about which was then shortend to being just called the model in which homeless and down on there luck men stayed i think it was only men who stayed in them ? there were a few of in and around glasgow many years ago a few in anderston and duke street area

The Great Eastern in duke t............Roses home off London road another one in Abercromby st.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 20th Apr 2018, 04:52pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (dizzybint @ 20th Apr 2018, 06:38pm) *
The Great Eastern in duke t............Roses home off London road another one in Abercromby st.

Well, that's cleared that up!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
prince21
post 21st Apr 2018, 07:36am
Post #22

Special Visitor
Member No.: 30,959
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 20th Apr 2018, 05:52pm) *
Well, that's cleared that up!

There was a model house in Holme Street off Argyle Strret i don,t know what it was called. I was an apprentice plumber at the time and was shocked to see the men living in what was in effect a cage. There was a bed with a chair and nothing else. There was also a long sink with no hot water for the men to wash themselves. It was quite an eyeopener for a 15 year old.
The sad part was many of those men had returned from the war to nothing. There was also a model house next to Woodside baths in the Cowcaddens. Some of these men even went round the backcourts singing songs in the hope someone would throw them pennies to feed themselves. Quite sad that,s the part of Glasgow i remember. I was the lucky one i had a single end with no hot water and a outside toilet which was shared with 3 other families across the road from Partick Thistle football ground.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.