Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lambhill
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:48pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Lambhill

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Lambhill

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*brian_mc_05@hotmail.co.uk*
post 21st Jun 2008, 12:06am
Post #2

i used to live in 29 eynort street!!! it used to be nice, but then during the ninties it went down hill and we moved still have family on hillend road. the houses are board, have felt roofs and were absolutly freezing in winter! smile.gif. they are till there, and are good family homes, but sadly nothing has been done to improve the houses, which in my experience, tells me they will be torn down. sad.gif .

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 1st Jun 2012, 05:47pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Ma grandma and grandpa lived in ashgill road lambhill from about 1900 to the 1960's They had 7 sons and 3 daughters, one of whom became my mother. Their surname was Crawford unfortunately i dont know the house number in ashgill road

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 23rd Sep 2016, 09:37am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
2 photos taken from Lost Glasgow page on FB.

1st is of Mary Fairbairn and Elizabeth Liddell outside their Mavis Valley homes,
courtesy of East Dumbarton Local Studies Group.

2nd was taken in 1931, facing east along the Forth and Clyde Canal showing Laigh Possil miners row with Lochfauld Cottages (The Shangie)in the distance, courtesy of Lambhil History Group, who are hosting a free exhibition from 3rd October.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
*Anne Burns*
post 24th Oct 2016, 01:16pm
Post #5

QUOTE (mlconnelly @ 23rd Sep 2016, 09:37am) *
2 photos taken from Lost Glasgow page on FB.

1st is of Mary Fairbairn and Elizabeth Liddell outside their Mavis Valley homes,
courtesy of East Dumbarton Local Studies Group.
I will try to insert The Shangie Maryhill papers, which had a serial about a barge that sank on the canal; I think it was at the – Shangie – I’m sure that isn’t how you spell it. Anyway, the barge had been loaded at Rockville and the man in charge of loading was my granda Burns. Two men were sent off with a load of shoes, flour, butter and WHISKY. By the time the barge reached Shangie, the two men were somewhat under the weather and they ran the barge aground on a sandbank. When the villagers, who were of Irish extraction and the men mainly miners, discovered this gift from the gods, they too were soon somewhat under the weather. The Lambhill police were called out, but they couldn’t handle the situation and decided to call in the larger police force at Maryhill. My granda Burns was called out to check the contents of the barge (my dad remembers his dad being called out to check the barge contents.) and it seems that the butter, shoes and WHISKY were all missing. The bags of flour were floating in the canal and my granda cut the bags open to discover that the wet flour had formed a skin, and all the flour inside was still dry. The ladies of the village were somewhat perturbed to have missed out on the flour. It seems that granda Dunn slept through all the excitement and that was fortunate as all the perpetrators were imprisoned, women included, one of whom was pregnant. While the adults were imprisoned, the nuns in St. Agnes’s School looked after their children. I gave the newspaper articles to Peter and I don’t know if he still has them. I sincerely hope that this e-mail doesn’t go astray as I don’t think I could type this story out again. Let me know if you find out anymore about the family history. Love Anne. X

2nd was taken in 1931, facing east along the Forth and Clyde Canal showing Laigh Possil miners row with Lochfauld Cottages (The Shangie)in the distance, courtesy of Lambhil History Group, who are hosting a free exhibition from 3rd October.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.