Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

217 Pages V  « < 215 216 217  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk Independence Referendum - Brexit, Yes or No on EU membership
Rating 1 V
john.mcn
post 12th Sep 2017, 07:56pm
Post #3241

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 12th Sep 2017, 09:41am) *
I repeatedly shake my head; as opposed to bashing it off the wall, when I recall how when Scotland prepared to vote on the Referendum to leave or stay with the United Kingdom, the leaders of all the major political parties came up over the border, sans golf clubs and caddies - one even bringing promises chizzled in stone like some latter day Moses - and all to inform us of how leaving the UK, a fully paid up member of the European Union, would mean leaving that European Community and having to apply as a sovereign state to join the queue to join the EU.
I often wonder how many voters in Scotland were swayed by that arguement ... and if they are now pulling their hair out at being dragged, perhaps kicking and screaming, out of the EU by the democratic decision of the majority of the UK residents ... which happens to be English.

If Scotland voted YES to leave the UK then as Scotland was not a member it would not be part of the EU. As we are part of the UK then we already fulfilled the necessary EU laws then I believe that upon applying we would have been accepted in the medium to long term but some sort of deal would have applied in the short term, This would not only be to secure the rights of EU citizens in Scotland but also because the rUK would want to ensure trade within the British Isles would not be affected.
One thing that is clear seeing the SNPs actions, inc voting against the public having the right to vote on the EU, is that they were not going to allow the Scottish public a say over whether we wanted an Independent Scotland to join the EU or not.

How many voters were swayed or not we will never know, it's possible that EU citizens may have been but there were not enough of them to change the result even if every single one of them voted and voted NO, how would that look anyway, Scotland dragged out of the UK against the will of the Scottish.
I live in a constituency that also conveniently covers the council area which is how the Ref votes were counted, not only was it one of the highest NO votes in Scotland, it also was one of the highest remain votes as well. On June of this year the SNP MP was rejected and the conservatives took back the seat they lost in 1997. It was not the only one, the Conservatives increased their MPs from one to thirteen and came second place in votes to the SNP. This is Sturgeons legacy, she mistakenly thought that people would pick the EU over the UK and given another vote I reckon that knowing Sturgeon would use peoples remain vote as an excuse to drag up another referendum then a lot of the voters would switch to leave.

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 12th Sep 2017, 09:57pm
Post #3242

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Billy Boil @ 11th Sep 2017, 11:01pm) *
Apply for refugee status in Germany ...

I once stood behind the Celtic goal mouth at Parkhead wi' a bunch of mates at aNew Year's old firm match when Big John Greig ran all the way down the field in the 90th minute to put it behind the net to make it 1:0.
I forgot where I was for a moment and threw my hands up in the air with a rousing cheer.
A moment later I was over the wee wall and heading up to my right and the hope of rescue from the chasing cops and the missile hurling mob I was desperately trying to escape; having pulled my concealed Rangers scarf out from underneath my jacket and taking my chances on getting hung for a sheep as a lamb. tongue.gif
I was successfully rescued by Gers fans who pushed me into the crowd. 1963 I think, or '64.

My old man went mad ... he said he saw it on the telly.

Now, with a good lawyer I could claim that returning to Scotland might still cost me my life laugh.gif yes.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

217 Pages V  « < 215 216 217
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.