Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> George Square, A' Dolled Up
stuarty
post 11th Nov 2006, 10:47pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
when i was in the womans junior air corps before I joined the W R A F............. I laid a wreath of poppies and was so nervous that was in 1977 then we went and had tea and cakes at the city chambers with the lord provest it was a memory i will always be proud of I was just sorry my dad died the year before as he would have been so proud of me

--------------------
gie me a wee minite
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Nov 2006, 09:25am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Aw Stuarty I'm sure he was looking down on you that day. smile.gif

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 14th Nov 2006, 09:37am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif One of my childhood memories was getting my ears pierced at The shop called Robin Hoods off the square(ouchy as a had thick lobes like my da) but a looked at masel in every window thereafter watching ma shiny Gold sleepers haha off we trotted loaded up with the yuki smelling Tcp & savlon antiseptic, I was 11yrs old laugh.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 20th Nov 2006, 03:53am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
biggrin.gif how does one get to see georges square frae other parts of the world? huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 20th Nov 2006, 05:04am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
biggrin.gif It is cool noo folks DavyaB44 gave me directions for the square Thanks folks. wub.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 20th Nov 2006, 11:20am
Post #21

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
For anyone else needing links to George Square and other city webcams, here they are:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/webcams/

Christmas lights were switched on in George Square last night, so you will catch a view of them if you check out the webcam after dark. You will also find links on that page to various traffic cameras around the city's motorway network. They don't always point at traffic jams, you can often spot some interesting city landmarks.

There is another webcam on the roof of the Glasgow Royal Concert Hall, pointing south down Buchanan Street. Picture quality is not great, especially if the sun is shining on it:

http://webcams.scotsman.com

BBC Scotland has a couple of webcams too. One of them is on the roof of Broadcasting House, Queen Margaret Drive and points across the road on to the Kibble Palace in the Botanic Gardens:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/webplay/webcams/kibble.shtml

Broadcasting House closes next year when the BBC moves south of the river, to new studios at Pacific Quay. The other BBC webcam sits on the roof of the Crowne Plaza Hotel at the SECC, pointing across the river to follow construction of the new BBC building:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/aboutus/paci...cam/index.shtml

DC

This post has been edited by GG: 20th Jan 2007, 12:12pm

+Quote Post
d.c.
post 20th Nov 2006, 12:57pm
Post #22

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 19
The links posted above don't seem to be working at the moment when clicked on, it looks like the GG redirect function is disabling them. I'm not sure whether that is a temporary fault, or if we are perhaps not meant to post external links now. They will work if you copy and paste them, but I can edit them out completely if it is preferred that we don't link to other sites.

DC

+Quote Post
Heather
post 12th Mar 2007, 12:55am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I passed through George Square last week, and it is a dreich looking place since they took the grass and flowers away. I don't think I will ever get used to the way it is now, especially all that red ground. It would have looked better if they had put nice coloured flagstones down.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 12th Mar 2007, 02:34pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
huh.gif How sad tae hear that Heather sounds bleek is it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 10th Oct 2007, 12:48pm
Post #25

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,040
Here is an old photo of George Square (CIRCA 1960)
IT is the 528 & 530 rasc remembrance day parade.
My grandfather Tommy Walker is marching in them.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 11th Jan 2008, 08:35pm
Post #26

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,797
My best memories of the Square are from around 1962/65 when the Corporation put on entertainment during the summer. There were pop groups and jazz bands every lunchtime and everyone came out the offices and sat on the grass eating their sandwiches and listening to the music.
My most favourite band was Alex Boyd and the West Coast Jazz Band. The clarinet player would turn up from his work in his post office van, play the gig and then jump back in the van and return to his work!

The city's street entertainers would also turn up and play until the police came to move them on, and then they'd dodge in and out of the crowd to escape.

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.

+Quote Post
mad mo
post 10th Aug 2008, 09:13pm
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,943
one of my favorite time of george square was the xmas lights going up and the fire work displays beautiful

+Quote Post
RonD
post 10th Jan 2010, 08:04am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
I was about seven years old (1955) when my older sister took to George Square from Auchinairn on Remembrance Day. I watched the ceremony with awe. Just after it we passed on City Hall a busker who looked as he had seen better days playing a cello type instrument. What stood out in mind was at the bottom of the instrument was affixed a saxophone horn. My sister threw ina penny or two. I remember thinking I wish I knew how to play an instrument that I could do that to get some pennies. smile.gif

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
stratson
post 10th Jan 2010, 10:49am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
QUOTE (RonD @ 10th Jan 2010, 08:02am) *
I was about seven years old (1955) when my older sister took to George Square from Auchinairn on Remembrance Day. I watched the ceremony with awe. Just after it we passed on City Hall a busker who looked as he had seen better days playing a cello type instrument. What stood out in mind was at the bottom of the instrument was affixed a saxophone horn. My sister threw ina penny or two. I remember thinking I wish I knew how to play an instrument that I could do that to get some pennies. smile.gif

Never too late Rond. laugh.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 15th Mar 2010, 10:21am
Post #30

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
About three years ago, an old school friend sent me a Christmas card with a photo of George Square on the front. The Square was covered in snow. The photo was taken in 1962 - my last winter in Glasgow. I liked the photo so much I've had it framed and sits right in front of me when I am using the computer.

To be honest, I don't remember it snowing a lot in Glasgow, though I was 21 when I left Scotland. Still, that winter was apparently one of the worst on record. Love the picture and it makes me quite nostalgic.

Cheers,

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.