Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Huge Bonus For Council Chief Executive, £28,265 Bonus for one day's work
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 12
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 19th Mar 2007, 07:42pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow City Council chief executive George Black is to receive a bonus of £28,265 for acting as the returning officer during the Glasgow council elections polls on May 3rd 2007. The extra payment to Mr Black's is the highest in the country, for any individual performing a similar role. The bonus is calculated based on the 79 council seats he will declare, added to another payment for the nine parliamentary constituencies, following counting held at the SECC after voting has finished earlier in the day.

Mr Black's role as returning officer on the day will mean his main duty is to ensure a fair and transparent voting and counting process. He will also oversee the securing and transporting of polling boxes during transportation to the central counting centre.

The extra payment to Mr Black is in addition to the £154,080 salary he currently receives from council taxpayers.

Announcement of the large bonus to the council's chief executive follows the news that a total of £420,000 will be given as severance payments to 24 Labour city councillors, who have agreed to retire their seats and not stand for re-election in May.

Rate this story now...

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 19th Mar 2007, 09:23pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I think to pay this Bonus is a disgrace.

As for the retiring Councillors, they should be paid the same rate as anyone else when retiring. That usually works out at x amount of money per year in the job.

Why is it that our Councillors, MPs, and MSPs, think the deserve special treatment when retiring, or when they fail to be re-elected, compared to the ordinary working man/woman.????????????

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Java
post 20th Mar 2007, 07:18am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
If Mr. Black calls in sick, can ah do it please? Nice work if ye can get it....

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Glasgow Resident...
post 20th Mar 2007, 07:35am
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 4,659
Pay rises all round! While 9000 female mere 'staff' fight to get equal pay (http://tinyurl.com/2ge9o3) with their male counterparts, and the council hires hotshot lawyers to obstruct them... Makes you wonder doesn't it.

In all seriousness though, this remuneration is a reflection of a fact that the media has not really covered. These days local government is increasingly run by unaccountable committees and Chief Executives. Purcell is the head of the council, sure, but the management of GCC is run by George Black, whom no-one elected. The council's regeneration plans are being run by the director of that area of the council. As we move to this wonderful new 'inner council' structure, this can only increase, as Development and Regeneration services will be the prerogative of two guys (Councillor Hanzala Malik and the Director). They won't have to let dab anything about what they're up to, and nobody bu those two guys and their staff will ever get access to meetings and information. A triumph for democracy.

Many councils in the UK now have these unelected characters running the show. They're regularly paid ludicrous sums (Private Eye's always going on about it). It's part of the marketisation of local government and services. We're told that 'we' need to pay huge sums in order to attract 'the cream' of the private sector to manage our public services. Mainstream commentators never stop to ask why, but it's pretty telling that while Glasgow has been stuffing George Black's pockets full of fat ones we've seen a swathe of local services cut, slashed or privatised, from housing, to parks, to schools to now museums, galleries and libraries under this new 'charitable' company wheeze. That's all going on while major capital investment into the city's civic infrastructure, paid for by our tax money is being used to create new large scale commercial enterprises (in what has to be one of the biggest corporate welfare scams going. NB: if anyone wants to look into it these schemes are different from PFI and the organisations are called Community Development Companies and examples include the Clyde Gateway Regeneration Company, and the Glasgow Canal Regeneration Partnership. The Tories tried to bring the same thing in nearly 20 years ago but they were laughed into touch. Now they're a reality.). In that context Black's election payments make perfect sense.

--------------------
--
www.glasgowresidents.wordpress.com
The Home of Glasgow's Residents Movement

+Quote Post
marina
post 20th Mar 2007, 10:42am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
this totally disgusts me, i wont say anymore cos martin wuold have to ban me for life

--------------------
Slinte mhor a h-uile l a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
Scotty2005
post 20th Mar 2007, 12:20pm
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 2,471
I totally agree with GRN and everyone else, that this is a complete disgrace and an embarassment to the city. It is also an affront to people like me who struggle to pay my council tax year in, year out. Just when are the people of Glasgow going to stand up for themselves and say enough is ENOUGH? Where are the local media in this? The Evening Times, for one, is currently naming-and-shaming members of the public in their junk rag, who park illegaly, while city councillors and executives live the life of lords in the opulent comfort of the city chambers.

S. mad.gif

+Quote Post
marina
post 20th Mar 2007, 01:23pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
go on scotty2005 im right behind you

--------------------
Slinte mhor a h-uile l a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
Angela Chick
post 20th Mar 2007, 01:30pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,713
God its enough to make you wanna throttle him mad.gif like the others have said its a total disgrace, bloody fat cats its a wonder he can appear in public with his brass neck mad.gif

--------------------
Tell it like it is

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 20th Mar 2007, 06:07pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
:ph34r:shower of Banditts robbing the poor & hard workers agin despicable! This ia outrageous! I feel glad that Martin brings this news to light of day for us as it helps for those at home to choose wisely in elections etc Very Interesting & yet extremely infuriating News Good you are talking foe many there Scotty keep up yer ain fire as it helps spread the word & the wee man oan the street gets to hear it cheers &thumbs doon furr Glasgows City Councel!

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.