Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exclusive: Halifax No More, Commonwealth Games Bid
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 24
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 8th Mar 2007, 03:37pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow Guide's first World Exclusive:

The town of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada has just withdrawn its bid to host the Commonwealth Games in 2014, leaving Glasgow as the clear front-runners ahead of Abuja, Nigeria. The dramatic news was broken to a clearly surprised Head of PR and Media for the Glasgow bid, Rob Shorthouse, during a visit to the Department of Marketing at the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 8th Mar 2007, 03:53pm
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
Mibbe the possil boys had words with the canadians cool.gif
REALLY thats great news,glasgow deserves it.Go Glasgow

+Quote Post
Elma
post 8th Mar 2007, 05:00pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I was delighted to hear the news on our TV this morning, the way should be clear for Glasgow now. Although I live in Canada at the other end of the country from Halifax, I voted in the Comonwealth Games poll for Glasgow and I now get the Glasgow Bid newsletter as probably all the others who voted this way.

In British Columbia we have the Winter Olympics coming to Vancouver/Whistler in 2010 and the cost over-runs already are tremendous with all sorts of complications coming up. I'm not enthusiastic about the games as it won't do much for our area, we are a 12 hour drive from Vancouver so how many Games tourists are going to stop and ski here?

However, Glasgow deserves the Games...

+Quote Post
carmella
post 8th Mar 2007, 05:02pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
To be honest, with so many variable venues in and around the city of Glasgow, I think this is good news for the city and the games, and am quite surprised that Glasgow was in second place anyway.

So for whatever reason Canada decided to withdraw I wish them and Glasgow all the best.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
jakka13
post 8th Mar 2007, 05:14pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,815
Great news .I'm sure that if not all Glesga Folk will do their best to do Scotland proud .The vast majority will .LET GLASGOW FLORISH

--------------------
Auld but Still Game.

+Quote Post
valros
post 8th Mar 2007, 05:21pm
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 2,069
Good luck to Glasgow

Valros

+Quote Post
keelie gal
post 8th Mar 2007, 05:22pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,519
well done glasgow biggrin.gif

--------------------
ITS NICE TO BE NICE

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 8th Mar 2007, 05:39pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Great news for Glasgow. With all the improvements in the past ten years Glasgow deserves this.Now lets hope all Gaswegians pull together and make this one big success that the rest of the world will not soon forget.

HIP HIP HOORAY laugh.gif

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Avril
post 8th Mar 2007, 05:39pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
biggrin.gif GO-GLASGOW-GO biggrin.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Melody
post 8th Mar 2007, 05:45pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Oh it's dead exciting sure it is? I remember going to Edinburgh in 1970 to watch the Commonwealth Games at Meadowbank. It was brilliant seeing Rosemary Stirling, Lachie Stewart, Steven McCafferty, Debbie Breel, Kip Kino. Fabulous day. I'm so proud of my City and this will let the world see what I see everyday. A wonderful city full of the brightest and best athletes and the best and brightest and friendliest people in the world. Well Done Glasgow I love you.

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 8th Mar 2007, 05:53pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
Best of Luck,Glasgow will do us Proud I am sure of that,
The cream always rises to the Top
Go Glasgow GO,
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
*ejl;ch*
post 8th Mar 2007, 06:09pm
Post #12

If the organisers of the Commonwealth Games want a venue that has many of the Games facilities already in place, a massive urban regeneration programme to support it and the city and the country behind it... it has to be Glasgow as the choice for the hosts!

Meantime, sincere commiserations to Halifax and well done for having the courage to make their decision at this stage.

+Quote Post
jock
post 8th Mar 2007, 06:19pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Great news! Glesca will make us proud>

+Quote Post
wee sammy
post 8th Mar 2007, 08:38pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 64
Glasgow will take every Gold Medal in the welly boot toss laugh.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest steakpie **
post 8th Mar 2007, 08:48pm
Post #15

Whew! I live near Halifax and am quite relieved that this little town of about 100,000 people will not be hosting the games. We cannot afford it, plain and simple. The jock lobby has been trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes for the last six months, and in their efforts to conceal the expected true costs have out-manoeuvred themselves.

Halifax does not have the facilities, nor the funds to pull this off. We cannot afford to shore up the ailing health system; we privatise the building and maintenance of new schools and school bussing; our roads are in dreadful condition. How on earth did anyone but a habitual bankrupt believe we could fund this?

Now, we have sent $14 million down the tubes just for the bid. I bet the jocks don't even know how that wilbe funded. I do. Our city taxes will go up - again.

Perhaps one day, when we are rich beyond belief, we could host this event.

Way to go, Glasgow! You are much better prepared for this event, financially and physically. Takes more than physical fitness to participate in such events. Good luck!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.