Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pollok Park Goes Ape, High wire forest adventure
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 7
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 21st Feb 2007, 10:20pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow City Council councillors last week approved the building of a massive tree-borne assault course in Pollok Park, in the south side of Glasgow. The aerial assault course reaches 40ft above ground and involves a complex network of rope bridges, trapezes and slides for young people and adventurous adults.

The private company, Go Ape, has won the approval for a 21 year lease of prime parkland in the park's North Wood. The company, which runs similar schemes located throughout England, typically charges £25 for adults aged 18 and over, and £20 for children aged between 10 and 17 years of age who are more than 4ft 7in tall.

Parks spokeswoman Aileen Colleran commented on the development before it was approved, saying:

"The adventure playground is another example of us giving people the facilities they have asked for in their parks."

What is Go Ape?

“A network of rope bridges, trapezes and zip slides that stretches for roughly a mile through the tree canopy………..this impressively extensive cat’s cradle of ropes, netting and platforms, set high in the trees is an aerial assault course called, Go Ape!”

“I free-fall for a moment, but then the death-slide takes up the slack and brings me up short before whipping me along to the cargo net. Just as I think it’s over, I bounce back up the wire a bit before coming back down. It is a big adrenaline-fuelled blur and it feels fantastic.”

Edward de la Billiere, The Telegraph, Saturday November 30th 2002

Go Ape! is a high wire forest adventure. Wearing a safety harness, participants trek through the canopy across 35-40 varied activities. We hope you find the experience exciting, challenging and surprising.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stratson
post 22nd Feb 2007, 07:11am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Immediately I hear "PRIVATE COMPANY" sends alarm bells.
Great idea for this type of Adventure Playground........ALAS, what child is going to afford £20 to gain entry........makes me sick to the pit of my stomach, this will be the elite who will use the facilities, not Jock Thamsan's bairns. wub.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 22nd Feb 2007, 08:29am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
wink.gif I hope theres nae tree damage or removals going down we are losing too much green oan our horizons & I feel likemided who has weans wi 20quid in there hands? if there is then am living in the wrong times dry.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
marina
post 5th Mar 2007, 01:49pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
well i know my kirsty is looking forward to this, but then again shes practically rared in the polloky, she doesnt need all these high wires cos everytime shes over she manages to swing through the trees nae bother laugh.gif

--------------------
Slinte mhor a h-uile l a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
*Guest Heather **
post 17th Mar 2007, 07:25pm
Post #5

Couldn't agree more with previous responses. What is GCC thinking of? Why not set up their own adventure thingie and make it accessible via Young Scot cards to those who would benefit from it most ie our poorest kids. I am sick of the creeping privatisation that is going on in our city - latest target our museums and, I heard ,our leisure facilities.It's time for a citizens' revolt.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 17th Mar 2007, 11:37pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
down south the charges are appaulling 26pounds for children to go into chessington world of adventures it is best to buy a yearly pass and then if you want you can go on london eye thorpe park tussauds aulton towers and warwick castle just one visit to each would be a saving but a think kids from low earners and others could have a conssession price just to give the mums and dads a bit of happiness with their weans as it does seem to be for high earners not fair at all
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Melody
post 18th Mar 2007, 01:40pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
What is wrong with just going for a lovely walk or run in the park? It seems that that is far too simple these days, somebody has to make money out of it or it can't be good enough. It's so sad, in fact it's not sad it's disgusting.

+Quote Post
*Elizabeth McCombe*
post 14th Jan 2008, 01:04pm
Post #8

There is going to be a public meeting to discuss this:

Pollokshaws Burgh Hall
22 january 2008
7.30 pm

Please come and show your support.

www.savepollokpark.com

+Quote Post
ScubaNurse
post 22nd Jan 2008, 02:30am
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 5,262
Folks, folks, folks!

Dinna worry. You can't catch TB from the soil - the virus needs to spread from person to person via droplet - he has to cough or sneeze and less than 6 feet away, you need to be taking a breath at the same time. HIV lives for only minutes outside the body - transmission is direct contact person to person ... anything else?

Scubadiver (Registered nurse)

+Quote Post
*Pollok Park Survey*
post 28th Jan 2008, 08:20pm
Post #10

You can now take part in an independent survey of the Go Ape development at Pollok Park:

PP.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.