Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Parking Meters Infuriate Staff, Local Residents Outraged
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 14
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 26th Jan 2007, 09:32pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow City Council has angered local residents in Alexandria Parade and Townhead, as well as users of the city's Royal Infirmary, by introducing parking meters in the area around one of Glasgow's busiest hospitals. This week council workers installed parking meters in Wishart Street, Drygate, Firpark Street, Firpark Terrace, John Knox Street and Ladywell Street, in an effort they claim is meant to reduce congestion.

The installation of the meters has led users of the Royal Infirmary (visitors, patients and staff) to park further afield in order to avoid the hefty charges now imposed, and the need to constantly refill the meters and move cars (stay for a maximum of four hours after which time they must move their vehicles). This change in parking patterns has incensed local residents in nearby areas who now face both great difficulty in parking near their homes, as well as a daily gauntlet as the hospital users move in and out en masse. The residents in areas including Alexandria Parade, Dennistoun, Royston and Townhead have condemned the move by the council bosses as motivated by greed.

The changes mean that some low-paid nurses doing 12-hour shifts up to £6 a day or around £30 a week, thus hitting the most vulnerable of our emergency services workers the hardest. Cathy Miller, Unison's convener of regional services said:

"Some of them are doing twilight shifts and they are being forced to park miles away. The place is just empty and dead at that time in the morning and there's a big safety issue for staff. It's just deserted since the meters were introduced, but without their cars they would not be able to get to work because there's no public transport running at that time."
A worker added:

"Hospital staff have still to pay to park here and it's also going to cost people who are visiting relatives dearly. Before the restrictions you could park free of charge, but they shouldn't be penalising hospital staff. You can only park there for four hours and if you are doing a 12-hour shift, you would have to come out in there middle of it and move your car."

A council spokesperson said:

A spokeswoman for Glasgow City Council said: "A complete migration out of the area is normal when schemes are first introduced. People who used to park there, by and large, do find alternatives. For example they may choose car parks, choose to car share, use public transport, or cycle. We expect that after a few weeks some people who have previously not attempted to park in the area due to it being saturated will take advantage of four-hour stay for visiting the hospital and other attractions in the area."

The photo below shows Wishart Street on a typical day before the changes were imposed. The same street in now regularly empty of parked cars.

Rate this story now...

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Jan 2007, 02:02pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I've had a couple of emails from staff at the Princess Royal Maternity Hospital and the the Royal Infirmary regarding this matter, both of whom say the same thing: that the imposition of parking meters is causing chaos within both these facilities, with frequent delays to procedures because of the difficulty staff have with finding alternative parking arrangements. They talk of having to go into unfamiliar areas such as Roystonhill at night and having warning notes from council staff put on their cars even when they are parked in areas without markings.

My question is this: are medical services being affected by this? Also, if staff have to frequently go outside and fill parking meters (and by definition handle money), is this not an increased risk factor in the conditions which can lead to MRSA?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Java
post 27th Jan 2007, 02:17pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
I've made no secret of the fact that I think having to pay for parking at a hospital is ridiculous....we already pay for the hospital... mad.gif

Making staff pay for parking is disgraceful....I'd be interested to know if the doctors have to pay?

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 27th Jan 2007, 03:24pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
As far as I know Java, Doctors have to pay too.
My sister works in the Royal Infirmary....and it's a daily nightmare for them trying to find a place to park.
As Martin says above, it also costs a daily fortune and is a huge inconvienience for Staff trying to get to their shift on time.

In Toronto, Parking in Hospital car parks is also a costly fee.
All profits over and above the maintenance etc of the car park itself, go directly back into the Hospital funds.

My own Doctor operates out of Womens College Hospital downtown, it's a huge Teaching Facility also so it needs constant funds for Research.
The Staff do fabulous work and have been brilliant in care and attention to me personally over nearly twenty years.

Without the constant Funding that the Carpark Rates contribute to, they wouldn't be able to do the work they do and keep up the constant Research....so I don't grudge paying it.....but it kills me at the time when I jist miss the half hour fee and it doubles again laugh.gif

I'm going down this week Martin, and jist out of curiosity I'll ask about the Staff Parking and what the story is.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 27th Jan 2007, 03:35pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
I find it appaling that you have to pay to park hospitals, after all you are not going there just to have something to do. There's usually a reason and you are already upset without having to worry about a parking fee.
Here in OK. at the hospitals parking is still free, at the moment.
but then again it costs a bundle on health care.. sad.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
Mary48
post 28th Jan 2007, 01:48am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 241
I'm shocked that they have not found/made a solution to the parking problem which has been there since cars became more popular (I'd say there were probably only about 6 of us could drive - I wasn't one- when I worked there)
Surely when they built the new building they should have taken parking into consideration.

Very short-sighted and time THEY made amends by building a multi storey park for the use of staff and visitors. Free staff parking can be monitored by the use of swipe cards. Paid parking for visitors to cover the costs of maintenance only.

--------------------
From Larkhall, no that far away really.

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 28th Jan 2007, 02:12am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
That'd be perfect Mary...in a perfect world....but we don't live in wan..do we? laugh.gif
Not for a minute do ah think they didnae see this comin, it's a sure fire pocket liner for those that put the money up to begin wae....why else wid it have happent?

Money goes tae money, be it government or be it private investors, they aw sit at each others dinner table.
Enough said laugh.gif
Jist my opinion.

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 29th Jan 2007, 09:28pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
It's a hard 1 for sure: Essential (Dr / Nurses / other Staff) users. Essential others (patients / visitors)... Essential Others (shiney bottoms)? dry.gif Fines? I know exactly how they feel as I work in (Social Work) a tower block with only 'one-hour' on-street parking outside unless I pay in the local car parks (spaces permitting), and am 'regularly' in and out of the building needing to swop streets / time discs etc etc and (we) regularly get caught and fined £30 a go. (And NO, we don't get aff the fines cos we work for the council)? For what it was worth, We worked out that if we park in a local car-park and walk in / out (averages 3-4 times per day), then that works out at about 15 working days per year lost to the public - just going to and from the car!! It's been mentioned time and again to the management but to no avail. So, we live with it, but for sure, the public are losing out... (We have regular meetings with many professionals - doctors, consultants, nurses etc., and they all suffer the same fate regularly) .... Plus, the local hospital charges a parking fee on their site too, so no benefits holding the meetings there either!! It's a hard 1 for sure... sad.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 7th Feb 2007, 08:41pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
when you get bad news sombody is in I.T.U for instance and you drive there the last thing you need to be thinking about is change for the meter a think its appauling and not practical atall and what if sombody has no money but petrol in the car another problem on the maternity side a expecting father wont be thinking about change for machines either just about the baby and partner or wife or girlfriend

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 11th Feb 2007, 05:50am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
rolleyes.gif Yes Stuarty I see what yer saying there, as oftentimes the clinics here or Emergency/casualty departments have plenty food /snacks machines & we rarely remember in this so called cashless society to have coinage in purse or wallet for such things as these machines never mind a parking meter coinage & as usual in every casualty department here in OZ usually is accompanyed with Giant Signs saying "No We Do No t Give Out Change" so which is it to be A cashless society or part card part coinage society? Beurocracy gone mad I think they consistently fall over their own decisions & live to regret it,Imagine it a dying passenger in yer car & yer looking furr a coin tae Park rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Java
post 11th Feb 2007, 07:23am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
The parking machines that don't give change infuriate me the most. I wonder if that's even legal? If I sell something thats price marked, that's the price the customer pays, I cant just wait till they get to the till then tell them it's more....we're not given the choice with this parking, we have to 'buy' it....so they should be made to 'sell' it at the advertsied price. mad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Avril
post 11th Feb 2007, 05:08pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Charging anyone at hospitals, be it the sick, workers or visitors is totally uncompassionate! To make money in this way is despicable!

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Java
post 11th Feb 2007, 06:58pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
A wee bird just told me the world's first parking meter was installed in Oklahoma City.....they musta heard Lennox wis movin in... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 11th Feb 2007, 10:50pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Funny thing that, as they only have them in the downtown district,where the banks and courts are.
Also they only cost 25 cents per every 45mins of parking.
rolleyes.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
whatachef
post 7th Mar 2007, 09:20pm
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,601
Looks like most of those contributing are in agreement. How do we know who to blame though. The councilors who introduce parking meters near hospitals? Who are these faceless individuals? Let's also remember the names of the MSPs who have been in power when these charges have been introduced and vote against them. Are there any candidates out there for the forthcoming elections who are willing to stand up and be counted in the fight against charges?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.