Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Springburn Public Baths, Anyone remember them?
*Alan Mac*
post 13th Dec 2008, 09:04am
Post #46

QUOTE (Kayleigh @ 3rd Feb 2004, 03:25pm) *
Dus oanybudy remember John Carrick Street in Springburn, it wis wan o the streets it the tap o the Northcroft road hill, an dus oanybudy know oanybudy thit used tae live there. wink.gif

My Grandparents lived on one of the top flats (Macrae) and I had an Uncle that lived over the road with his guard dog for school that was gettin built at the time. There was also a couple on ground floor (Simpson) who`s son was on Celtic`s books at the time. I was only about 11 or 12 years pld when the flat`s were knocked down but I just remember everyone that lived there being really friendly.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*pauline liddell (ross)*
post 22nd Feb 2009, 01:16am
Post #47

i was born in john carrick st in november 69 stayed their till i was 2 then they pulled it down we moved then down to charles st

+Quote Post
*pauline liddell*
post 22nd Feb 2009, 03:34pm
Post #48

thanks wellfield will have a look

+Quote Post
*Alex Gardner*
post 15th Apr 2009, 07:20am
Post #49

I used to visit aunts and uncles in John Carrick Street in the 1950s and recall that it was a steep street leading down to the Co-op dairy at the bottom - I guess Springburn Road. There were at least 3 generations of the family whose name was Fulton lived in the street. I surmise it was knocked down for the shopping centre - nothing Goggled confirms this but it is obvious fro the old maps.

+Quote Post
*shepherd*
post 11th Nov 2009, 01:39pm
Post #50

QUOTE (marlene @ 12th Dec 2003, 10:47pm) *
I remember Kay St swimming baths, remember getting chucked in at the deep end.
I was born and brought up in Springburn.
Moved down to live in Sussex 30years ago.
Don't often get "up the road"these days, but when I was last there, I hardly recognised the old place.

a moved away from springburn some 25yrs ago lived at the big house across from gospel hall adress was 24 springvale terrace

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 4th Jan 2010, 03:22pm
Post #51

QUOTE (David Aitken @ 12th Feb 2008, 09:21am) *
I distinctly remember and have fond memories of the public baths in Kay St.
I was a member of the St Rollox swimming club that used the baths every Monday evening from 9pm to 10pm (if memory serves me right), along with school friends who were also members.
On your way home, the first stop would be the "chippie" in Kay St for the "must have" bag of chips and a couple of onions.
Albert school also used the baths for a period of time.
This all happened in the late fifties and early sixties.

are you the david aitken who was a pal of big cousin, hammy smillie. my brother and i also went to the st rollox swimming club on a monday night im marion paton and by brother is tommy paton

+Quote Post
**yvonne**
post 22nd Dec 2011, 01:55am
Post #52

My grandparents lived in john carrick st in the sixties, alf and jean noble, my father george wallace noble, havent seen since I was 11, now 48, wonder if anybody knows of his wherabouts, he would be 73 ?

yvonne

+Quote Post
*John White*
post 22nd Nov 2014, 01:24pm
Post #53

Hi,

Born in John Carrick street in 1954. Had 3 generations living in the same close on 3 floors. Moved away in 1960 to the scheme at Easterhouse.

Great days of childhood memories.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 5th Mar 2016, 01:05am
Post #54

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
The violence ended in Kay Street when a police sergeant banged on the tennement door and hearing footsteps or seeing the suspect in the hall, through the letterbox, pointed his pistol through it and pulled the trigger. I remember reading the account of it in 'The Record'.

The Chippie was one of the first "Santi's" in Springburn. He later opened "The New Yorker" Restaurant at the top of the hill nextdoor to his second chippie at the zebra crossing.

Favourites were Ashet Pie Suppers or 1/4 Chicken but he also did blackpudding in batter that we affectionately called "Frizzelled @ick Suppers". My second serious girlfriend worked in Kay St there on a Friday Night so I always got free chips. tongue.gif

Kids could go in and ask for a 'poke of bits' (that they were only too pleased to get rid of.

Was in Springburn Baths only once. Not impressed. Far superior was Woodside where I also learned to swim, did my first lengths and breadths there too and was once robbed blind by a guy from my own Scout Troop. (He and his pals took everything I owned at the time. Thank you Henderson.) I digress.

There were three boards in the male pool at Woodside.

A springboard on the left and a six or eight footer on the right and a ten or twelve footer as the high board.

The bath attendant didn't mind flippers or a facemask so I became good at underwater stuff.
Used to find coins there on the bottom at the deep end occasionally. A prewash in the Showers or a long sit in the hot 'pig troughs' (long white footbaths) was usually de rigeur as the attendands would inspect for dirty feet before allowing access to the pool. The smell of chlorine hung on you like a f@rt in a diving helmet afterwards.

Best of all was getting a cup of steaming OXO Cube 'soup' on the way home from a shop near what is now Braid Square and a small cup of mushy peas with vinegar for thruppence.

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 5th Mar 2016, 10:16pm
Post #55

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
"Best of all was getting a cup of steaming OXO Cube 'soup' on the way home from a shop near what is now Braid Square and a small cup of mushy peas with vinegar for thruppence. "

That shop was just round the corner from Woodside baths on what was Cedar Street. I found an old City Map. yes.gif

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.