Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> European Championship 2016, In France
Dykejumper
post 4th Jul 2016, 03:42pm
Post #46

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Danny, war time games dont count, it was just a wee friendly watched by 133000 lol
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 4th Jul 2016, 09:26pm
Post #47

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (Dykejumper @ 4th Jul 2016, 04:42pm) *
Danny, war time games dont count, it was just a wee friendly watched by 133000 lol

Hello Dykejumper,

I know, but if you were one of the more than 100,000 Scots at the game, it counted alright. 1,2,3,4,5,6! No wonder alchohol was consumed in such great quantitiies in public in those days. At least we can drown our sorrows in front of the TV at home nowadays.I was only 13 at the time, so my 'tipple ' was a glass of ginger wine.

The English supporters in those days wore handkerchiefs on their heads. I think it was to stem the blood flowing from their injuries inflicted after each English goal!

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 5th Jul 2016, 10:02am
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (DannyH @ 4th Jul 2016, 04:02pm) *
Hello Jagz

Anyway, get yourself a new anorak! Went on to Google and got confirmation that England beat Scotand 6-1 in April 1945, at Hampden. Didn't watch the newsreel as I wanted to get back to you quickly!

Stanley Matthews (Stoke), Riach Carter, Tommy Lawton (Notts County, Wilf Mannion (Middlesborough, Tom Finney (Preston) Forward Line.

So you young whippersnapper, all of the above is from my memory, except for the confirmation of the score, via Google.

Regarding the 1955 game, you would just be a youngster then. If is was the game in which a young Bobby Charlton of England, scored such a great goal

Regards

Danny

Dykejumper is right, wartime games were unofficial, (won't be buying a new anorak anytime soon tongue.gif ) and as Tom Finney didn't make his debut for Preston North End until August 1946 there is no way he played that day for England.

I wasn't born until 1957 so i definitely didn't see the 1955 game, and Bobby Charlton didn't make his full England debut until 1958.

Nice to talk about football from the day's it was played by real men though. thumbup.gif

Take care my old friend.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 5th Jul 2016, 02:03pm
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
Hello Jagz

As we are going off topic, let's call it a draw. 0-0.

Maybe someday you can get back to me and tell me when that forward line played. Wait until you get your new anorak!

Best regards

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 5th Jul 2016, 07:36pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 5th Jul 2016, 03:03pm) *
Hello Jagz

As we are going off topic, let's call it a draw. 0-0.

Maybe someday you can get back to me and tell me when that forward line played. Wait until you get your new anorak!

Best regards

Danny

I don't think anyone will mind us going OT Danny, after all there isn't any games tonight.

I can't tell you if that line up played a full England international or not but if they did it could only have been 1946 or 1947 as Raich Carter retired from international football in 1947.

Hope this helps pal.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 5th Jul 2016, 10:33pm
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Hello again Jagz

I have double checked the records. You are correct. I only got the score correct, and only named seven of the team properly. Something is going wrong with my memory. The game was only 71 years ago. I will go around the charity shops and see if I can get you an anorak as a gesture of apology; mind you it will have to have England 6, Scotland 1, 1945, emblazoned on the back.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 6th Jul 2016, 09:08am
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 5th Jul 2016, 11:33pm) *
Hello again Jagz

I have double checked the records. You are correct. I only got the score correct, and only named seven of the team properly. Something is going wrong with my memory. The game was only 71 years ago. I will go around the charity shops and see if I can get you an anorak as a gesture of apology; mind you it will have to have England 6, Scotland 1, 1945, emblazoned on the back.

Regards

Danny

Don't worry about the memory Danny, mine has been going since i was in my forties laugh.gif I enjoyed trawling through my old stats archives.

Take care Danny.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 11th Jul 2016, 02:19pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
I thought the final between France and Portugal was boring; a poor advert for football.

Bring back the days when football was an exciting sport to watch, because players with genuine talent were allowed to 'do their own thing'. Now it is pass across, pass back, pass back to the goalie. He passes it sideways The ball is then passed across the park, passed a few yards up the park, and so on.

Danny

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 12th Jul 2016, 10:39am
Post #54

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Danny, I couldn't agree with you more. I was born and grew up in Glasgow and in the 50s and 60s, football ruled my life - and those of my Dad and two sisters.

When I arrived in Christchurch in 1963, I missed football so much (along with the dancing!) but was here to stay for two years at least. Football in those days was just so exciting - good attacking play and plenty of goals.

I don't watch it at all but tuned in the other day when the final went into extra time. I couldn't sit through 30 minutes so came back in time to see the winner, which was I admit a good goal.

These days my favourite sport is rugby union and IT now rules my life!

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.