Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> European Championship 2016, In France
ashfield
post 28th Jun 2016, 07:42am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Murder polis, imagine going out of Europe twice in the same week huh.gif

I'm supporting Farm Foods in the next round cool.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 28th Jun 2016, 07:45am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,545
I see some in England are demanding a rematch and that the last one didn't count..well i think it was the football they were talking about wink.gif

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 28th Jun 2016, 08:08am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 28th Jun 2016, 08:45am) *
I see some in England are demanding a rematch and that the last one didn't count..well i think it was the football they were talking about wink.gif

Perhaps Iceland told lies about how many goals they would score unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tombro
post 28th Jun 2016, 11:01am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
I believe flood warnings have been issued all over England due to the rest of the UK pi**ing themselves laughing over the Iceland result !

Tombro laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 28th Jun 2016, 05:03pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 28th Jun 2016, 08:08am) *
Perhaps Iceland told lies about how many goals they would score unsure.gif

Yeah the manager fielded the wrong team, he was hopeless and had to resign etc etc, at the end of the game one side lost and its supporters have to stop crying and accept that

--------------------
“The most puzzling development in politics during the last decade is the apparent determination of Western European leaders to re-create the Soviet Union in Western Europe.”
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 28th Jun 2016, 07:38pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (john.mcn @ 27th Jun 2016, 10:33pm) *
Is that Iceland 2 for 1, might pop in tomorrow and pick up chips if there's any left...

They say Icelands cheap, but Joe Hart never saved anything. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
john.mcn
post 28th Jun 2016, 11:41pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
I hear he's still there, every time he put his hand out to hail a taxi for the airport they go right past him

--------------------
Mikhail Gorbachev

+Quote Post
GG
post 29th Jun 2016, 10:18pm
Post #38

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
I don't normally watch the panel rantings after any game, but was stuck at the front of the TV in the pub so watched it. I thought they were so over the top in their vilification of the England players that it just got ridiculously unwatchable.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 1st Jul 2016, 09:15pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Go Wales thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

Fantastic result and well played yes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 2nd Jul 2016, 07:34am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Best game I've seen so far. Have you seen the FB one showing possession-Wales 48% Belgium 52% ?
Shows that it's possible to lose 48 to 52 and still remain in Europe!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 3rd Jul 2016, 04:23pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
I think the England - Iceland result should be used as an example of what is happening to our society. It is okay have a laugh at England, but to me there is a broader picture.

I can remember the days when the maximum wage for a footballer in England was £10. There was no such limit in Scotland.

Johnny Haynes of Fulham became the first footballer in the UK to earn £100 per week. This was considered to be sensational at the time.

Apart from the great Real Madrid tem which came to Hampden, the best forward line I have ever seen was at an International between Scotland and England. The English forward line was Matthews, (Stoke City) Riach Carter(can't remember), Tommy Lawton (Notts County), Wilf Mannion (Middlesborough), and Tom Finney (Preston North End).

They thumped us 6-1!

Note, none of the above Clubs are in the elite today. Liverpool and Manchester United were 2nd raters in those days.

Now England don't have sufficient numbers of quality players in their top League. Television money means that clubs can now buy instant success. There is no chance of English youngsters getting into the top League teams. The English football supporters have been very scathing of their team and the manager. But these same supporters don't want to give their homegrown talent the opportunity to blossom. So their Clubs bring in foreign players. Their youngsters are loaned out to Clubs in lower Leagues, and most disappear for good.

Just makes me think this is what is happening to our youngsters in other occupations. Why have apprentices when you can import the finished article.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 4th Jul 2016, 07:38am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (DannyH @ 3rd Jul 2016, 05:23pm) *
Apart from the great Real Madrid tem which came to Hampden, the best forward line I have ever seen was at an International between Scotland and England. The English forward line was Matthews, (Stoke City) Riach Carter(can't remember), Tommy Lawton (Notts County), Wilf Mannion (Middlesborough), and Tom Finney (Preston North End).

They thumped us 6-1!

Danny Harris

Hi Danny old pal, while i agree with everything you say regarding the England football team, i think your memory is playing tricks on you though, i'm a bit of a football stats anorak and i can find no game where England scored six against us at Hampden during the time of the players you mention, were you present at the 1955 game in Wembley where England beat us 7-2?

Perhaps that's the game your thinking of, but that forward line up didn't play that day.

Your old pal Jagz. thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 4th Jul 2016, 10:04am
Post #43

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
I think Billy McNeil might vote for this lot who put 9 past Scotland , our poor Goalie Frank Haffey eventually emigrated

Douglas , Smith , Greaves, Haynes , and Charlton.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 4th Jul 2016, 03:02pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 4th Jul 2016, 08:38am) *
Hi Danny old pal, while i agree with everything you say regarding the England football team, i think your memory is playing tricks on you though, i'm a bit of a football stats anorak and i can find no game where England scored six against us at Hampden during the time of the players you mention, were you present at the 1955 game in Wembley where England beat us 7-2?

Perhaps that's the game your thinking of, but that forward line up didn't play that day.

Your old pal Jagz. :thumbup:

Hello Jagz

This is my second attempt to answer you. I don't know what happened to my first reply!

Anyway, get yourself a new anorak! Went on to Google and got confirmation that England beat Scotand 6-1 in April 1945, at Hampden. Didn't watch the newsreel as I wanted to get back to you quickly!

Couldn't get the team list, but if memory serves me right,, the English team was:

Frank Swift, Goalkeper, Hardwicke and Ramsey, Full Backs

Billy Wright (Wolves), Neil Franklin and, Joe Mercer (Arsenal)Halh Backs

Stanley Matthews (Stoke), Riach Carter, Tommy Lawton (Notts County, Wilf Mannion (Middlesborough, Tom Finney (Preston) Forward Line.

Brogan of HIbs broke his leg in the first minute in a collision with Frank Swift. Substitutes were not allowed in those days, but because this incident happened in the first minute, Johnstone of Clyde was allowed on to play for Scotland.

So you young whippersnapper, all of the above is from my memory, except for the confirmation of the score, via Google.

Regarding the 1955 game, you would just be a youngster then. If is was the game in which a young Bobby Charlton of England, scored such a great goal, that the Scottish goalkeeper Tommy ? of HIbs, ran out to Bobby and shook him by the hand, I was at the game.

Worst Scottish team I have ever seen. The wee outside left for Scotland, Tommy ? of Partick Thistle, never got a pass from Tommy Docherty the whole game. Half back line
McColl Evans, Docherty. The outside right was Herd of Clyde. The inside left played for Motherwell. Good club player, out of his depth at this level.

I better stop in case it is the wrong game!

Regards

Danny

P.S. I have got the suicide pill handy, in the event that this second attempt fails.

Only kidding Martin, honestly.

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 4th Jul 2016, 03:41pm
Post #45

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Danny

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.