Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2012 Olympics, Very much the LONDON olympics!
wee davy
post 10th Feb 2011, 07:40pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956

Attached Image

Consumate Tory, Sebastian Coe, announced with some glee the other day, that over 1/4 of a million people have volunteered for 'duty' with the professionals. Now whilst I am not able bodied and somewhat limited in what I can 'bring to the party' - there is NOTHING defective (yet) regards my cerebral functions! (OK OK I hear you say - there IS some dispute with that haha)

Needless to say, I haven't even had a 'thanks for applying' even although I know for a fact, 75k of those volunteers have now been chosen - 75% of them 'Londoners' I believe (now there's a real surprise not - lol)

I don't really know why I bothered applying in the first place except I felt I still had something to 'offer'.

Truth is - when the tasks were eventually offered - the categories offered were almost WHOLLY restricted to able bodied, fit individuals, who were willing to accept the more mundane, and most physical of 'lower tier' jobs.

Now, all this may sound like sour grapes but it would have been nice, to have felt as if there were at least a 'hope in hell's' chance!

Oh well - I will just settle down - in front of the gogglebox once again - just as I did in 1960, when the Rome Olympics took place - where I saw a young boxer, called Cassius Clay, announce to the world, his ability to one day, become The Greatest - by winning the light middleweight gold medal. The now much revered, Muhammed Ali.

My admiration for people who take part in these extravaganza's, is as keen as it ever was.
Good Luck to ALL our home countries efforts - in becoming Olympic Champions - Looking forward to it, as much as ever - even if Lord Coe could'nt give a stuff if I'm one of the 1/4 of a million LOL

Attached Image

WEE DAVY

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 22nd Feb 2011, 04:37pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Tickets will be on sale for the 2012 Olympics from the 15th of March, for SIX WEEKS ONLY and you must be registered with the 2012 site, to apply and stand any chance of aquiring any.

For those of you who have probably heard in the media of astronomical prices - this is probably for the most part, true - however I've reviewed the pdf file, and you could probably DIY a little visit for two, for less than £500 all in - so - my advice is - don't let it put you off applying for tickets.
If you know someone who lives in or around London, so much the better.

After the end of April you can GUARANTEE you won't get affordable tickets for love nor money, ANYWHERE.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 22nd Feb 2011, 07:09pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Davy,

Do you not realize that London is the most important place in the world- nay, it is the epicentre of the world - nay again, it IS the world. Ask anyone there. They will not comprehend the question, mind you. It is a bit like religion I guess. smile.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Feb 2011, 12:19am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I know I'll get shot down by the PC brigade but I have to ask what good would non-able-bodied, or disabled persons, be at such an event; other than for selling hot-dogs or programs?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Elma
post 23rd Feb 2011, 12:27am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Do you not remember the Disabled Olympics which took place almost immediately after the Vancouver Winter Olympics a year ago?

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Feb 2011, 12:30am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
I'm not on about the events. I'm thinking more of disabled people helping out among throngs of thousands of people on the move.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”

+Quote Post
Elma
post 23rd Feb 2011, 12:32am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
OK, point taken.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 23rd Feb 2011, 12:56am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
I used to visit Stoke Mandeville; the birthplace of the Para-Olympic games, when I was in RAF Chessington being treated for a crushed spine and broken neck Elma, in 1968, so although I may sometimes appear heartless, I'm not really. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 1st Mar 2011, 11:38pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (Elma @ 23rd Feb 2011, 09:50am) *
Do you not remember the Disabled Olympics which took place almost immediately after the Vancouver Winter Olympics a year ago?

They take place after every olympics now Elma. The Chinese are great supporters of this institution as are the Australian sporting fraternity public and government. The Para Olyimpics are always broadcast on TV. here and are a very much established part of sporting life.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 1st Mar 2011, 11:42pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
Ever notice that when a Scot wins an Olympic gold medal or any other international award he or she has Britishness conferred upon them. When an English person wins anything they remain as always English.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 22nd Mar 2012, 02:30pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
"For George and England"
"No' this time Jimmy. it's Team GB ya Bam." tongue.gif laugh.gif

Attached Image

Attached Image

The Union flag without St George ... looks rather nice old boy. biggrin.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-...ney-Adidas.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 22nd Mar 2012, 10:27pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Her in the middle? Is she in the Navy - or have flares come back in?

What a grumpy looking bunch! Maybe they weren't getting paid?

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 23rd Mar 2012, 12:31am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
Her in the middle is Stella McCartney, daughter of Paul. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
zascot
post 23rd Mar 2012, 05:54am
Post #14

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
what sport does she participate in? Or is she just a hanger on.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 23rd Mar 2012, 11:07am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
She's one of the latest big things in fashion design and has designed the new Team GB sports kit. Can't say I'm very impressed by her design. Its supposed to be based on the Union flag but there has been some complaints already concerning the lack of red in the kit. Mary unsure.gif

+Quote Post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.