Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scotstoun And Yoker, Memories of the area
Rating 5 V
mmorriso
post 7th Feb 2004, 12:39pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 336
I am interested in hearing from anyone who lived in the Scotstoun or Yoker area. I lived there in the early fifties and would like to share memories of it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 10th Feb 2004, 12:45am
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 470
ask Hubert mmorriso

+Quote Post
hubert
post 10th Feb 2004, 01:30am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 31
I trained at Holm park Yoker in the fifties for a wee while, Willie Blainey gave me a game for Yoker, but I lived up Kilbowie road tap of the hill, and dont really know Yoker or Scotstoun?

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 2nd May 2009, 08:19pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I lived on the other side of the river in Renfrew. A quick ferry ride and a wee walk up the street, under the railway bridge to catch a tram on Dumbarton Road to visit my Aunty in Partick. There was a great Tally ice-cream parlour on the corner of that street and Dumbarton Road where I used to take my girl-friends for a trip 'abroad'!.
Rab.

+Quote Post
dmf
post 3rd May 2009, 11:07am
Post #5

Visitor
Member No.: 4,771
Rab, would that have been the Kelso Street Cafe, run by the Pelosi family, who also had premises just up from Farme Cross Dalmarnock?

dmf

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 3rd May 2009, 09:33pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I think you are correct - Pelosi rings a wee bell! The place had a twin on the Renfrew side at Izzis Ferry Cafe. A real marble ice-cream parlour with all the trimmings and ice-cream made on the premises, hot peas, the lot!.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 3rd May 2009, 11:49pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I lived in Scotstoun from 1945 to 1959 In Upland Road, off Danes Drive. I was there ;ast year and our side of the road looked exactly the same but there are now houses where the field was between us and Queen Victoria Drive.

+Quote Post
**nancy**
post 17th Jul 2009, 09:47pm
Post #8

i was born in the house in langholm st yoker in 1947 giving my age away what agreat place to grow up iwent to the old yoker school infants middle and secondry ilived with my granny and granda katie and robert pollock iwent back and stayed with my ma da when they moved to the drum summerhill road in 1958 or 9 weewere about the first to move in to summerhill my ma da were mary and john bennett

+Quote Post
**margaret**
post 18th Mar 2010, 12:36pm
Post #9

i lived in yoker in the 60s we lived at 176 langholm st our name is devlin and we lived rite across from the park we had great neighbours one big family and i have a lot of good memories with them the lows, buchans, jimmy mcdonold the booky nxt door
as kids we were never bored we moved away in the 70s when ma da died went to live in cumbernauld we visited yoker regularly but then life has a habit of changing and everybody moves on
recently i went to visit a really nice neighbour she is still the same as i remember her but wat a change in the street the back courts and the old railway all been modernised we used to play over in the railway the old burn and the middens full of rats its a diffrent place now and most of the people are gone but memories for me are always with me

+Quote Post
*linda barr*
post 27th Aug 2010, 04:40pm
Post #10

I lived in 7 Langholm Street in the early 60's till about 1967. I remember my mum hated it, she thought it was too rough. I remember the freedom, we used to get the bus to school by ourselves, we were only 6! We used to go out to play and not come home for hours, and my mum had no idea where we were. I have my old school photo, some of the children look very poor, tatty shoes and shabby clothes but I can't remember ever noticing it. In the photo I remember Ian, Joe, Nancy and Helen. I went back to find it a few years back and had a bit of trouble because of the name change but when I did get there the whole of the street had been knocked down apart from the bit at the top I'd lived in so I was able to take some photographs. We left to move to Dunblane, what a difference. The children at my new school used to comment on my broad glasgow accent. I often wonder if my life would have been any different if I'd stayed in Langholm street. I only have happy memories of the place.

+Quote Post
*colin1962*
post 14th Dec 2010, 08:13pm
Post #11

QUOTE (linda barr @ 27th Aug 2010, 04:18pm) *
I lived in 7 Langholm Street in the early 60's till about 1967. I remember my mum hated it, she thought it was too rough. I remember the freedom, we used to get the bus to school by ourselves, we were only 6! We used to go out to play and not come home for hours, and my mum had no idea where we were. I have my old school photo, some of the children look very poor, tatty shoes and shabby clothes but I can't remember ever noticing it. In the photo I remember Ian, Joe, Nancy and Helen. I went back to find it a few years back and had a bit of trouble because of the name change but when I did get there the whole of the street had been knocked down apart from the bit at the top I'd lived in so I was able to take some photographs. We left to move to Dunblane, what a difference. The children at my new school used to comment on my broad glasgow accent. I often wonder if my life would have been any different if I'd stayed in Langholm street. I only have happy memories of the place.

+Quote Post
**Agnes**
post 4th Jan 2011, 02:23pm
Post #12

The Kelso Cafe was at the corner of Kelso Street and Dumbarton Road. It was owned by the Pelosi family and later by the Capaldi family who were related to the Pelosi's.
The Capaldi's now own the kilt hire shop which occupies that same premises.

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 7th Jan 2011, 10:11am
Post #13

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
QUOTE (*Agnes* @ 4th Jan 2011, 03:01pm) *
The Kelso Cafe was at the corner of Kelso Street and Dumbarton Road. It was owned by the Pelosi family and later by the Capaldi family who were related to the Pelosi's.
The Capaldi's now own the kilt hire shop which occupies that same premises.

Is it not Yoker Ferry Road?

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
nippynell
post 7th Jan 2011, 08:24pm
Post #14

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
I was born in " Scotstoun Building " thats the name it was known as, it was directly across from Connells shipyard on South street and just down from Windsor cottages. My mother Margaret was born there too, she was called Peggy her maiden name was Keyes, she had sisters Bridie,Betty, and Madalene who was tragically knocked down by a lorry and killed on South st. with another child I cant remember the other kiddys name, but Madalene was only seven, she also had an older step sister Winnie, along with two younger brothers John and Robert and an older step brother Mick who like Winnie were the oldest. There are many people I can remember from my chilhood in the late 50s till the " Building " was eventually demolished in the mid 60s. My mothers married name now "Gallagher" and my dad was Hugh, a long distance driver who tragically died in a road accident in 1966. My older brother, as I had two was Thomas aka Tam who palled it with Colin Mcnair aka Dedo, and James Martin aka Pepsi think for a short while he ran about with Raymond Love, always remember them trying to get "The Saints " haircut Friction or something! ..their friendship did'nt last long, really dont know how it ended, then there was Robert.. the youngest he palled it with Jim Campbell, and I palled it with both his sisters Betty and Catherine along with my older sister Elizabeth aka Liz...then there was Betty Schoular, Anne Mc Cormack, Kenneth Televish and his sister Lorna, Linda Deerie, the Smiths, George Neerys, Joan Mc Lean, Moira Gardner loads more, we used to go to whiteinch park , swimming pool , jump the dykes and every Satarday go to the Odeon matinee, and the manager would hold twist competitions and yoyo competions...great times probarley remember more ...take too much space lol would luv to hear from anyone who remembers these things and aspecially the people... biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
nippynell
post 7th Jan 2011, 08:55pm
Post #15

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
QUOTE (linda barr @ 27th Aug 2010, 04:18pm) *

Hi Linda ...just wandering ur name sounds so familiar, did u attend St Thomas Aquinas? and did u know the " Doris's " .. Sadie, Caroline, Hannah and Jane they have brothers too...Robert, Frank, Philip and Alan or the " McEwans " .. Nancy cant remember the brothers name...would be good to find out as my bestest wee pal is Sadie Doris and I would luv to tell her....Thx biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.