Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hundred Acre Dyke
aussie
post 7th Jan 2007, 08:30am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,280
I understand there used to be an area of parkland known as the Hundred Acre Dyke in Glasgow. Does anyone know where it was located and what it is now called?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Java
post 7th Jan 2007, 09:25am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Hi Aussie, dont know if it helps but there's a hundred acre hill which is an area of Kings Park..... biggrin.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 7th Jan 2007, 04:25pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
java my bro lives in kings park a will try and find out for you ok laugh.gif remember the mill hotel its changed noo it was the only drinking hole on a sunday unless you knew sombody in the central club oh manys a night a had in the central laugh.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Heather
post 7th Jan 2007, 08:08pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Aussie I know nothing about an Hundred Acre Dyke or Hill.

There is also a Park in Kings Park called, Kings Park. laugh.gif

I used to live in Kings Park, and there is a pub next to Kings Park, in Cathcart Road, Rutherglen called, ' The Hundred Acres'.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Java
post 7th Jan 2007, 08:40pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Wee link for hundred acre hill....section on Cathcart.. biggrin.gif

http://www.geocities.com/mjjodoin/ram100.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratson
post 7th Jan 2007, 10:13pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Your link did not open for me javamol.
I know the pub of which you refer to Heather!
Will contact nephew who is learned in Kings park, he played their in the park in his childhoodwith his sister and friends.
Dad used to walk all of us on evenings all through this area and it just does not ring any bells,,,,Sorryaussie, is most frustrating smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 8th Jan 2007, 02:06am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
unsure.gif not sure but I do know theres a place where ma aunty lived in Barmulloch called.........AcreDyke Road not so far frae springburn park or the stobhill hospital and sarounded with auchanairns Littlehill golf course which was sarounded with the auld stone dyke walls. sorry if am in lala land jist thats awe a know aboot. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
aussie
post 20th Jan 2007, 10:54am
Post #8

Unpacking
Thanks to all who responded to my Hundred Acre Dyke smile.gif question. You've given me a couple of useful leads which I'm trying to follow up.

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 20th Jan 2007, 09:20pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Hi Aussie and welcome aboard , hope you are enjoying this heat !!!
Look if you could supply a bit more info to members , especially the areas your anticedents resided in . As you know local people coin their own names for certain parts of the neighbohood ,and it is unique to that area . wink.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
aussie
post 1st Feb 2007, 10:37am
Post #10

Unpacking
Hi Jimmyd, Thanks for your thoughts. I'm fairly sure this parkland was either within, or close by, the Cathcart area.

My grandfather lived in Kilmailing Road, Cathcart and my grandmother worked at a manse named Rosebank, which I believe was attached to a Presbyterian church in Cathcart. They used to walk on the 100 Acre Dyke when they were courting, which would have been around 1905-1910. I've also been trying to trace anyone with memories or photos of Rosebank manse without success.

Cheers, smile.gif

+Quote Post
Java
post 1st Feb 2007, 10:52am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Aussie, I've copied a wee section from my link above.....you could try copy and pasting the link if it didn't work for you....hope this helps..

Cathcart

[p. 102] At a short distance beyond the cottage of Bauldie Baird, the road passes over the “Hundred-acre hill,” a beautiful eminence, which commands a series of delightful views of the surrounding country. On the one hand are undulating fields, in a high state of cultivation, interspersed with gentlemen’s seats, comfortable farm-steadings, and picturesque clumps of trees, with Dychmont and the Cathkin braes in the distance... On attaining the southern brow of the hill over which we have been walking, landscape of the most exquisite description bursts upon the view. At the feet of the spectator, and situated at the bottom of a vast green basin, formed by a girdle of gentle eminences, is the elegant church of Cathcart, standing in its field of graves and surrounded by stately and time-honoured trees.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aussie
post 8th Feb 2007, 10:39am
Post #12

Unpacking
Hi Javamol,

I think you might have hit the jackpot. The 'hundred-acre hill' is certainly a very similar name. Do you happen to know what the word 'Dyke' means in Scottish terminology? Also, from your knowledge of the area, do you know if it is still parkland or developed?
Cheers, smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Java
post 8th Feb 2007, 07:26pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Aussie,

I've checked the Scots dictionary and found the following meaning for dyke - A wall (of earth, turf, or stone) made for enclosure or defence or as a dividing line.

As far as I'm aware (haven't been for a very long time), hundred acre hill is still part of the 'park' area of Kings Park, i.e. it hasn't been developed.

Hope this helps. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
aussie
post 26th Feb 2007, 09:52am
Post #14

Unpacking
Hi Java,

Thanks for the definition.

I know it's a bit of a stretch but perhaps a hill could be regarded as something of a wall? Seems like Kings Park is still the best bet. I'll be in Glasgow for a few days in June and will hopefully come back with some answers to this and my search for the elusive Rose Bank manse. I plan to spend most of my time in the Mitchell Library and on the streets of Cathcart.

Cheers smile.gif

+Quote Post
*JIMMY MARTIN*
post 4th May 2008, 04:21am
Post #15

Hi,
Just found site, born in Glasgow and brought up in Kings Park I am sure the Hundred Acre Dyke is at the back of Kingsbridge Drive at the end of the old Kings Park Primary School, there is access to an area called "Monkeyland" where we played as kids for hours in the bushes and trees and this is where the Dyke is, we all were given to understand this was an old roman wall and this could be where the park is being created.
The Dyke is still there I visited the area for "auld times sake" in 2007, hope this helps.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.