Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Our First Telly, family
Heather
post 8th Nov 2005, 08:18pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I just knew some one would mention Ricky Fulton's the Rev. I.Am Jolly.

I bought my husband that DVD last year and it is really funny. laugh.gif

Certainly worth buying for anyone who is a Ricky fan.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 9th Nov 2005, 12:22am
Post #17

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
Oh Heather ..that's lovely water you've got there ..where do you get that water? smile.gif

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
RonD
post 10th Jan 2006, 02:37am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
We got our telly in 1954, it was coming in on Friday evening and we were all excited but I fell asleep on the couch and so didn't see it until the next morning. The maddening thing for me was that there was no programmes on until the afternoon then it was motor car race.

The first time there was football match we were all watching it and My Dad used to sit on his hunkers even in the chair started to lean over and looking to right . We all laughed when he realized that he was trying to follow where the ball was kicked as if he was at alive match.

The neighbours who had tv first were kind, there was house in the prefabs about three a good ten minute walk, that let in kids to watch the children's hour. Someone just told me about the house and I walked up bold as brass and asked to be let in to see the programme and the woman did. I have no idea if she knew or not. Closer to home Mrs. McKinstry in our scheme let us local kids every Friday night at five o'clock to see the Cisco Kid and the Range Rider. Then we ran out in the crescent and reenacted the show all over.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Elma
post 11th Jan 2006, 05:37am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
We got our telly in January 1952 just before TV actually came to Scotland. My dad liked to be ahead of the game so he went out and bought a 12 inch which sat proudly in the corner of the living room. At first before there were any programmes we would switch it on and watch the test card! The first programme we got was the King's funeral in February which they put on specially in Scotland, then there were no more programmes until it was "officially" switched on. At the coronation we had all the neighbours in and my mother and I spent the day serving tea and biscuits and watching the proceedings on the little screen, quite a difference from the monsters we have today.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 2nd Nov 2006, 09:48pm
Post #20

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
I was born in 1953 and can always remember having a telly. It must have been bought on tick as Mum and Dad never had two ha'pennies to rub together. It was a wonderful piece of furniture, I remember. It was a combined TV and radio, and it had sliding doors that we closed at night or if we were listening to the radio. It stood about 3feet high and was cased in beautiful wood.
My earliest memories are of Princess Margaret's wedding and watching The One O'Clock Gang when I came home from school for my lunch. Of course, I also remember Bill and Ben, Andy Pandy and Sooty.
Thinking back, there we were, eight of us in a room and kitchen with outside toilet - and a telly! We must have seemed the poshest folk up our close!!! cool.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
Avril
post 2nd Nov 2006, 10:27pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
We got our first TV in 1956 (an RGD model), before that we used to pile into my Aunty's house along with all the other kids in the street to watch BBC Children's Hour. We only had BBC in those days and it was black & white. I vaguely remember The Henry Hall Show and The Billy Cotton Bandshow. It kept going off the air for what they called 'interludes' and showed the test card. If I remember right it was off the air for most of the day on Sundays and finished at 10pm. The picture used to jump and if the 'horizontal hold' button didn't fix it then my dad thumped the top of it...that usually did the trick! I remember the great excitement when when ITV started up. I think it was 1959 and I'm sure the first advert was for Gibbs SR.

My dad used to up in the loft to adjust the ariel to get a good picture and he would shout down 'How is that?' We'd answer 'Naw nae good'. 'Well how is that?' he'd shout down again. 'Still nae good' we'd reply....this would go on for about twenty minutes, then we'd shout up 'That's it, brilliant picture, leave it there!'..... Dad would then shout back 'ah'm haudin' the bliddy ariel, ah cannae staun here forever!!! biggrin.gif wub.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 5th Nov 2006, 07:20am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif I remember us being poor,so dad had to get his tv on higher purchase. The bill got paid with a meter which had a wynder on it at the back (much like a gas meter box)& you would be desperate for the tv man to collect on time as if ye couldnt get any more coins in ,it resulted in nae mair tv, I loved to put the coins in & many a night would have to argue whos turn was it to charge up the tv haha the best was on empty & the wonderfull sound of its katchink as it landed inside the meter haha ta for that wee memory folks. wub.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
Stewarta
post 3rd Sep 2007, 11:51pm
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,333
My parents got one of them bakelite monster tv's in the late 50's early 60's... First program I ever saw was Larry Marshall's "One O'Clock Gang Show" We once met Charlie Sim outside Hoeys in Sprinburn and my mother nearly fainted.. She got an autographed picture which went in the family album

Remember the woodentops and Twizzle?

--------------------
Haw pals! Whits goin oan?

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 4th Sep 2007, 12:28am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
We got our first telly in 1953 in time for the Queen's Coronation. Some of the folk in our close came, along with a host of relatives, to watch the Coronation. My Mum fed them all soup, mince & tattties then trifle. How she did it in a wee room and kitchen I will never know. There must have been at least 30 folk. At night they showed highlights and my Granny [Mum's Mum] said to my other Granny [Dad's Mum] "That's terrible that poor lassie huvin' tae sit through that again just so's the people who were at work during the day can see it!!" WE couldn't stop laughing. WEonly had BBC and I remember the first "soao" it was called "The Grove Family." I also remember a serial which was called "Little Red Monkey." On a Friday teatime we got "The Cisco Kid." I loved "Pancho!" Anyone else remember these programmes, also the interludes with the water wheel.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 4th Sep 2007, 01:20pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
our first telly was second hand from the big posh houses up maryhill my da cleand chimneys and this woman said if you can fix this its yours and he stuck a rubber in the contrast knob and it worked and when the tv men came around my da used to say it was just for show and we knew if we took the rubber out it would stop workin so he said if you can get that thing to work a will give you the fine money so the man put it on and was turnin the 2 knobs and nought not a thing no sound nothing so away they went and rubber put back one second hand telly working again laugh.gif SPOT YOUR FIRST TV wub.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 4th Sep 2007, 07:29pm
Post #26

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
Our first telly was a Pye 13inch screen when i got married my Ma gave it to us and when my wife and i moved to Canada we sold it for 5 quid it was a good little telly

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 26th Oct 2007, 03:40am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Our first telly was a Ferguson I think and it had double doors so looked like a cabinet when it was'nt in use. When we first got it they used to show a lot of ballet and my dad and the man upstairs were hysterical laughing at the 'men in tights.' laugh.gif

+Quote Post
angel
post 26th Oct 2007, 03:55am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Our first telly was a Philips, bought it because I wanted to watch the tv shows, cheyenne bodie
and bronco lane,, anybody old enough to remember those shows... tongue.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 18th Apr 2008, 10:11am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Thanks guys ah've had a great laugh reading these posts. Ah think we aw lived in the same hoose sometimes. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 18th Apr 2008, 12:47pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Oh Angel I remember Bronco Lane [Ty Hardin] and also Cheyenne {Clint ??????? can't remember his second name]. I also remember Wagon Train with Ward Bond. Anyone remember who played the part of Flint McCulloch, was it Doug McLure? Rawhide was also great [Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates] - I wish they would bring back some of these old shows.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.