Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Raglan Street, Any Photo's of Raglan St
hudggy
post 12th Oct 2005, 08:43pm
Post #1

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi All,

I lived with my gran Bella Carrigan (Devine) in 13 Raglan St after my mum died in 1952 from then till 1962 my gran used to run a fruit shop in North Woodside for years.Then she retired and my aunt took over but my gran sold candy apples out of her window does anyone remember. The shop was in the family from early 1900s till my aunt gave it up in the 60s. I never got a photo of the street and would love to get one to use in my family tree. Also does anyone have any photo's of Phoenixpark Terrace where i lived with my mum till her death.

Thanks in advance Robert Carrigan

Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 12th Oct 2005, 08:58pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Hudggy, I remember going up to Raglan St. to buy candy apples from a woman who sold them from her window. She used to have them on a tray at the open window, and when there were none there, we would rap an the window only to be told they were all sold and when the next lot would be ready.

All the kids loved those candy apples.

We really missed all the wee shops when we moved to Barlanark in April 1953. Our mum had to go into town or Shettleston to do her shopping. I think when she went shopping in town she ended up back in the Cowcaddens. laugh.gif
It was a couple of years before we got some shops in Barlanark.

You should try the Mitchell Library, they may have some picture's of Raglan Street.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 12th Oct 2005, 09:12pm
Post #3

Lord Provost
Hi Heather,

Glad you enjoyed the candy apples sometimes I helped make them or got the sticks ready also sold them when ma wee Maw as I called my gran was busy or out. Only it was not on a tray but a well greased marble counter.

Hudggy

This post has been edited by hudggy: 13th Oct 2005, 12:53am

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 13th Oct 2005, 03:43am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
Hi hudgy, dont know Phoenix park Terrace,...Though I did do a Google search and theres quite a few Gorbal's sites......

Type on your search engine......(I use Google it saves me typing the whole www. address).....Gorbals Live......loads of links come up....and there was one connected with Gorbalslive....

Gorbals live-Anecdotes......Heaps of people who live and are from leaving messages to find whoever.....Lots of reading in that one.....you may remember some names.

Hope this helps......Tori,..good luck.

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 13th Oct 2005, 07:02am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
I think you are out of luck with pictures on the virtual Mitchell site for Raglan Street most of which has been demolished.

However there are a couple of photographs of Phoenix Park.

Some posters do have their own collections of Maryhill Photos and may post one.

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 13th Oct 2005, 02:08pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
I've been unable to find any pictures of Raglan St. I hope that this one of Phoenix Park will help. I have a few others of this area, if you want to see them let me know.

Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 13th Oct 2005, 07:08pm
Post #7

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
I was at St.Joseph's School in North Woodside Rd. with a girl called Isa Galloway, and I remember her mum or some other relative worked in the fruit shop it was near the corner of Balmain St. and North Woodside Rd. We used ot go in to the shop quite a lot, it was a long time ago, we also had a friend Mary Mc Millan who stayed in Myrtle St. just of St. George's Rd.I think it is maybe knocked down now. Happy days!!!

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 13th Oct 2005, 07:23pm
Post #8

Lord Provost
Hi Rosie-K,

That girl you went to school with is my cousin Isa Galloway she has lived in canada since the early 60s. The shop at that time was being run by our granny whos mother first opened it around 1900.

Hudggy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heather
post 13th Oct 2005, 07:29pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I wonder when that picture of Phoenix Park swings was taken?

I don't remember a wall around where the fountain used to be.

I remember there used to be shelters down at the bottom where we used to make slides in the winter. If you did not jump off before you got to the bottom of the slide, you crashed into the shelter. wub.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
cutechick
post 2nd May 2007, 01:14am
Post #10

Settling In
Member No.: 4,651
Hi Robert,
Nancy the Cute chick fae the Cowcaddens here .
I put a posting on some other place asking if your Granny was Mrs Devine who sold Candy apples from her window and also that I knew Isa devine. Don't ask me where I put it in as I get mixed up when I come on here, But here I am again Yes I knew your Granny her close was near the Garcube Rd end of Raglan St and she sold her candy apples from her window which was at street level. Mrs Devine had the fruit shop just around the corner from Balnain St(where I lived) Isa's Mum run it when I knew them Isa lived up the close next to it on the top flat. Isa's Mum I think had remarried and she had twin Daughters thier pram used to sit at the top of Balnain St as she could see it from her window. also up this close was people called Banks and her Mother was very friendly with them. Isa was a Cathlolic and I was a wee proddy dog. but we went to St Josephs dancing,had a great time It was here i met Father Lyne my first encounter with him wasn't very good he wasn't going to let me in because I wasn't a Catholic so I said 'Well just give me my money back and I'll not be back at your old dancing'(was a wee bit cheeky when I was younger )Isa face was as red as a tomato anyway he relented and in I went we had great nights there.
I came to Canada in 75 and got a job in Woolworths one day about 15years ago this woman and girl came in the girl started to walk about but the woman said "I'll wait here for you" right next to the cash desk where I was working.Istarted to talk to the woman and she said she was from Glasgow and here it was mrs devine and the Girl was one of the twins (last time i saw them they were babies in thier pram.Gave her my phone.No to give to Isa but sorry to say she never called its a small world.Don't know what happened I was dissappointed maybe her Mother lost the No. and ofcourse I never thought in asking for hers and I didn't know her married name.
Well we are old Seniors now and this all happened in our hay days some folk don't like looking back maybe she was like that who knows but as I said its a small world look at me meeting you on this site eh!.
Nancy.

+Quote Post
cutechick
post 2nd May 2007, 01:19am
Post #11

Settling In
Member No.: 4,651
Robert,
Sorry I was calling Isa Devine but it was Isa Galloway.
Nancy

+Quote Post
brian432
post 28th Feb 2008, 11:48am
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
QUOTE (hudggy @ 12th Oct 2005, 08:50 PM) *
my gran used to run a fruit shop in North Woodside for years.
Hudggy

There was an Andy Devine had a fruit shop in Bardowie st Possil in the 60s. Any relation?

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post
flam
post 28th Feb 2008, 01:17pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Brian 342..Was it not Sammy Devines Fruit Shop in Bardowie St /Ardoch St,Sammy was the original Del Boy of Possil, but then again there could have been two Devines in Bardowie St..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
brian432
post 28th Feb 2008, 08:08pm
Post #14

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
QUOTE (flam @ 28th Feb 2008, 01:24 PM) *
Hi Brian 342..Was it not Sammy Devines Fruit Shop in Bardowie St /Ardoch St,Sammy was the original Del Boy of Possil, but then again there could have been two Devines in Bardowie St..Cheers Flim

G'day Flam
You're right, it was Sammy Devine, (must be auldtimers disease) laugh.gif . Now you've got me wondering who Andy Devine was. I know there was a singer called Sidney Devine.

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 28th Feb 2008, 08:56pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Andy Devine was an old actor in cowboy pictures. He used to be Roy Rogers' sidekick in the 50s.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.