Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Special Places In Your Life., Glasgow awaits, where to sir/madam?
Rating 4 V
cathy52
post 18th May 2013, 12:49pm
Post #31

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
possilpark finlas street whith all my family who has passed away. miss them all very much. sad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tam C
post 18th May 2013, 03:13pm
Post #32

Super Resident
Member No.: 10,534
Going for sunday walks with my father when I was a bairn from Keppochhill Rd to Kelvingrove Park my faither taking my clothes of and then chucking me in the big fountain with all the other splashing and laughing weans ,then pulled out to be bought a pokey hat from the ice cream van running around the park while ma faither read the sunday papers and the special treat, we would go looking for a money tree which he would shake while sneakily throwing a few coins around it while I was looking up in the branches for pennys ,for years and years I believed my Da could find money trees ,done the same trick to my boys and they where convinced I had the money tree magic .Tam C

+Quote Post
Elma
post 18th May 2013, 05:00pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
My special places are Annan and Lochmaben. As we had no relatives in Glasgow we were out of there every holiday, down to our home towns. Lived in Annan till I was 10 where my maternal g'parents lived but most of my holidays were spent in Lochmaben at the Railway Inn which belonged to my paternal g'parents and then my Uncle and Aunt. All of us cousins were there all summer. We had fun there, in the bar in the morning helping to carry out all the wooden crates of empties then in the afternoon playing in the garden, down to the Mill Loch to the swings and just enjoying the sunny days (they seemed to be always sunny then biggrin.gif) playing together and annoying our aunts laugh.gif The simple things were the best. thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 19th May 2013, 08:07pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Staying at my Auntie Annies wee hoose in Wallacestone (Falkirk) for the summer.....no electricity,no water,it had a gas mantle you lit with a match,mushrooms growing in all four corners of the ceiling,I used to collect the water in an old bucket from the pump well right there by the 'Wallace' monument and swing park...the wee hoose had an outside toilet.....loved the single decker 'Bluebird' bus that used to let me off at her front door......all gone now and the area was replaced by beautiful homes and what a view from up there!...ah' the memories of a wee Glesga keelie as the locals used to call me.

+Quote Post
CAT
post 20th May 2013, 11:33am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
My special place is Pollok park spent a lot of summer holidays here as it was a short walk through the golf course from Corkerhill. The pond, the waterfalls, the stables, the police dogs, pollok house I still love it. Sometimes I drive over that way on my own park at pollok house and spend a little time by the river it just restores a sense of peace.

+Quote Post
enrique
post 20th May 2013, 12:04pm
Post #36

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
rolleyes.gif Aye please return me to the 60s and the Flamingo, a lumber at the end o the night a visit to the back close , the smell of the panstick, a hot kiss and cuddle the feel of a cauld thigh OOOoh a need to stop???

+Quote Post
CAT
post 20th May 2013, 02:25pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,390
Oh the Flam I remember it more as a bingo hall now there stands a super market shame.

+Quote Post
Mary Doris
post 25th Mar 2014, 07:45pm
Post #38

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,723
I loved a Saturday night at Crossmyloof Ice Skating, which was even more magical at Christmas time with a great big tree in the middle of the rink, watching out for the one you liked and always spotting him in the crowd, I can relate to almost all the places whilst reading all these stories, I came from a big family and had Aunts, Uncles and Cousins in Maryhill, Partick, Easterhouse, Springburn, Priesthill and Possil in the sixties we used to go visiting often, my Dad had a minibus and I had four sisters and two brothers, we grew up in Carnwadric and had a fabulous childhood. I loved going to see Santa arriving at his wee house in Kelvinside, and then the drive through all the streets of the City Centre to see the Christmas lights which were strung up from one shop to the other, then the highlight of the night was the trip to George's Square to see the Manger. If only we could go back every now and then, taking our young with us just to let them see just how good life was even when you didn't have much money.

--------------------
MeMe

+Quote Post
taurus
post 25th Mar 2014, 11:04pm
Post #39

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
Going to Barrowland on Wednesday night in the 50`s,big band music night. The rest of the week dragged by waiting for Wednesdays.

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 26th Mar 2014, 08:25pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Love this thread!!.......wonderful memories indeed!

+Quote Post
*Guvin Wullie*
post 27th Mar 2014, 12:21am
Post #41

Not that they worried me that much, but I have firm memories of disapointment as a wean in Govan. My mammy wance took me tae see the queen when she came to Glesga. We stood stonin there fur oors an this big black queen cor passed by an a' saw a wumin in a white hat at a distance o' aboot 100yairds. An' then it wis a ower in 10 seconds. Never saw the jewels oan the crown, the robes or aw' yean horses.
Another wis when a wis verry wee an' there wis a Jumble sale at a proddy chapel in Guvin. As A'wis a Kaferlick, a' slid up against the wa' an keekt roun the corner hopin no tae get contaminised. A' tried an' tried but in spite o' a' ma bravery A' didnae see oany Jumbles ataw.
Ma' mammy wis a french polisher ( yon sounds like she wis Uropean ) an' she worked in a furniture factory run by a Jewish faemily cried Hurovwich. Wan dae she took mae tae wurk wae her as there wis naebuddy tae look aftair me. A' wis saer lukin' forward tae meetin yon Jewish wumin as a hud never seen wan before. This wis a major disapointment fur me as she lucked like every other auld granny I hud ever seen.
Ma best memory o' this time wis yon auld lion at Wilsons zoo in Oswald st.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 27th Mar 2014, 12:37am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
There's a lot to be said for the 50s and 60s, still a time I loved, modern day has no comparison - sure we're more comfortable, but I think life back then for me at least, was more enjoyable, more simple, got paid on a Friday and nothing left on Monday haha

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 27th Mar 2014, 06:00am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Just to be wee again with the freedom to wander the way I used to from Alexandra park in the East to the Art Galleries in the West the Clyde in the south to Jacks mountain in the north, that was my Glesga, I never new which direction or adventure I would get up to on any given day, I suppose today my mother would be charged with child neglect but then so would the majority of Mammies in those days when weans were so much safer.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 27th Mar 2014, 07:57am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
I suppose we had more than one special place when we were weans. Another one was an afternoon in Campsie Glen. We took a bus to the Milton of Campsie and stopped at a little shop and bought the obligatory bottle of Tizer or Irn Bru then took a walkway to the glen. We would walk up the brae and find a place to picnic. My brother and I would go off exploring to the water that that came tumbling down from the hill and run through the wooded parts of the hills. Back at the picnic which was in an open area asking what was behind the hill and being told Stirling. So my brother and I climbed up to the top expecting to see Stirling laid out before us only to see more hills smile.gif

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
angel
post 27th Mar 2014, 01:22pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675

I can't think of any special place in my life ,although, as a child
in primary school my special place was Partick public library
I travelled the world from that building until my mother would
come looking for me , also walks from Partick to Anniesland
and knightswood along the great Western Rd with my pals.

I love to visit the city of Boston , love it's history , also a special
beach in Cuba were I saw the most magnificent sunrise ever in my life .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.