Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> They're All Gone!, Lost Neighbourhoods
Tennscot
post 11th Dec 2007, 01:08am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
I felt a Deep Deep sadness when I saw The Rape Of Springburn, To me it brought back memories of seeing the destruction in London after a night of bombing and i might add just as senseless. I also lived in Morrin Sq. next to the Baths. Yes Townhead got it bad too.!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sandy36
post 14th Dec 2007, 06:23pm
Post #32

Visitor
Member No.: 4,186
my gran and grandad had a wee shop in townhead,dont know what it was called it was in john knox st selling all sorts this was aroun the 70s. their name was white/harkins, anyone remember them?

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 15th Dec 2007, 01:19am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Tennscot I was also deeply saddened when I saw that the houses in the Valley had been demolished, I have been in Europe were old houses worse than the ones in the Valley have been rebuilt , refurbished or fixed up and handed down to the next generations to live in, not only are these homes beautiful but the comunity still lives on, these people look out for each others well being in day to day living, there's a sense of togetherness and caring, a great example for the young to see, I am sure that many from the Valley would have stayed on if given the choice, the Valley was a land mark in Maryhill and I was proud to tell people that I lived there, I also feel that its a great loss to Maryhill, the Valley could have been turned into something very desirable ,,,Lass

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 20th Sep 2009, 01:17am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (Lennox @ 7th Oct 2006, 07:35pm) *
Ruchill , is all gone now , at least the way I remember it. I lived just off Ruchill street (Shunna St), but all the closes where built in a kind of a square shape, every one knew you and looked out for you & yours, not like today when eveyone goes in & shuts the doors.
At least back when I was a kid if someone was getting murdered, eveyone knew about it... Now " Sorry Polisman I heard/saw nothing" unsure.gif

Jings, there is so much undiscovered treasure hereabouts. Arrghh, Jim me lad!

Just saw this wee post of yours Lennox. Gezz, its a small world!

My great aunt (Grannies Sister) lived in Shannon Street, Ruchill. She lived there, after moving from Milton, c1950's - 1980's ~ lost track

She passed away 2006, bless her, aged 88.

Her name was Isabella Condron, her family and friends knew her as Dolly. I doted on her, like all my Grand Aunties / Aunts. Many were widowed relatively young. Considering the life women had then, by hell, they were strong and always cheey and welcoming and brought their weans up to be decent folks.

Ma Auntie Dolly had a wee daughter, Kathleen Mary. Noo Kathy, was a dead ringer for the Welsh songstress Mary Hopkins. Cathy will be well in to her late 50's noo.

Kathy an meself used to go for walks around Ruchill Park, we wid play chases, hide and seek and she tried to teach me to go a bike going up and doon Shannon Street. I still goat the scars from that escapade., teach me tae mess wi lassies! Auntie out with the auld hanky to wipe the gravel oot yer knees and elbows~

I remember as a wean that my Granny and her 2nd lumber, who where actually my adoptive parents having some wild, late night parties at Auntie Dolly's and we wid have to walk all the walk back to Alexandra Parade all the way doon Bilsland Drive / Maryhill Rd/ Coocaddins Rd in the wee small hours, when there was nea buses running.

Of course, paying for a taxi wus oot the question. "Wit a waste o money, shut up an walk an look where yer going!"
"
Noo, that's a philosophy that should be applied to the present McDonalds feed / Mobile phone toting generation.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 20th Sep 2009, 04:01am
Post #35

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
When I was born, my parents lived in Braid Street, where we lived for a couple of years before moving to the splendour of Balornock! I can still remember the cludgie in the close with the wooden pan and newspapers with horses names ticked off for a bet. Sometimes you were glad of that newspaper when the toilet paper ran out.
I remember when we arrived in Drumbottie Road. It was the middle of winter with snow on the ground. My mum and dad were in their early 20's, as were some other new familes, much to the annoyance of some of the elderly people who had lived there since the year dot, it seemed.
At that time, there weren't nearly as many cars on the road as there are today and us kids could play football all night, as long as we didn't inadvertently pan in a window.
There were bad times there too. I recall the tears tripping from my mammy and me when the fire brigade came round to put out a huge blaze only to find out that the old lady in a wheelchair was unable to escape the furnace that engulfed her as the rest of her family tried to save her.
MY first love came from the same close as me. Her name was Jackie and I adored and worshipped the ground she walked on. Sadly though, I was a tongue tied teenager and couldn't face the possible rejection, especially as we lived so close to one another. Years later, I found out she DID like me, but it was too late. that particular horse had bolted.
Springburn was my place of choice. Always busy, with loads of characters, businesses and fun, I loved it. Then the city planners ripped it to bits.They tore the heart out of Springburn and put in place a dual carriage system instead. They ripped Royston apart too and Townhead. Well, lets face it, we weren't the West end were we? Can you imagine the Sighthill flats being put up in Byers Road? Well, that is the effect, crudely put, that this community is still paying for.

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 20th Sep 2009, 06:58am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Tam what a brilliant post ..am often amazed when I read some of these posts about particular areas in Glasgow…Springburn for example. Am not old enough to know what it was like 20/30 yrs ago but today am often struck today by how they seem to lack any community feeling. You comment on how horrors like Sighthill would never have been built in the west end….and your right they would not but part of the reason for that was that residents would have fought it tooth and nail…I live in the west end Tam and have most of my life and I can still remember being taken by my parents about 10 yrs ago to a meeting in Hillhead Library,packed with local residents and I have no idea what the cause was but Jeez they were all passionate about it and some old lady spoke..and she was like Lady something …meant nothing to me but she had taken on the city back in the seventies about a plan to convert the Gt western Rd into an express way and as a result remove all the beautiful trees that line that street and they forced the council to back down .I appreciate it’s a different situation,here you have someone with connections and the ability to use them in defence of their community. that option was probably not available in places like Springburn and that’s what is so sad about it.Its history now but you have no idea how stories like yours are read by me ..am at university now doing architecture and am absorbing stories like these all the time and they will hopefully reflect..one day in the future how I deal with communities.
Yesterday in Glasgow was Doors Open Day and as most of the board knows my family have connections to this day that now go back almost 20 yrs ,been there, seen most of it but still love it…yesterday I did one building. Hazelwood School for the visually impaired in Dumbreck…heard stories about how the local community did not want the school and then progressed through how the school worked for the kids…touch,feel,sound,the ability to find your way around when the basic abilities that we all take for granted are not available to you..am really proud that Glasgow has built a school like this but in particular was fascinated listening to how the architect took on the city and fought for his cause…..
My parents are leaving Glasgow this year….lol after November am homeless am sorta working on my brother to lend me his flat and that way I could go from west end lad to Riverside man…the flat is a babe magnet as well……so out of misfortune comes opportunity. My parents may have moved on but I think I will be in Glasgow for a while…..

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 20th Sep 2009, 09:34am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Aye Tam, much like Toonheid, Springburn was wrecked by the construction of a road. Only the bampots got to Toonhead first, was good practice for the loony planners who managed to do what what the Luftwaffa failed to do earlier on.

As for those eyesore flats in Sighthill, sooner they are landfill the better and hopefully those carbunkles will be replaced with decent social and affordable housing, with amenities.

Nane these 500 000 houses, with naewhere to buy a pint of milk, paper or send weans to school.

Mind ye with the stinky ocean still reeking up, thats a moot pint, cannae see toffee noses pitting up with yon stink.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Sep 2009, 11:28am
Post #38

Well, folks, the Toonheid and Springburn I recall do not really stand comparison to the West End.
Close communities might well have existed there but for the most part the tenement properties in Townhead and Springburn were sub-standard and lacked even the most basic facilities like hot water and inside toilets. Overcrowding was not uncommon and many of the tenement properties were poorly built and in bad repair. In many cases this situation prevailed into the late 1960s.

Compare the tenement properties that existed in Gourlay Street to the tenement properties in Clarence Drive or the tenements that once lined Springburn Road to the tenements on Crow Road and you will get an idea of what I am talking about.

I don’t recall people being forcibly removed to the schemes like Barmulloch or Easterhouse and for the most part many of those who were fortunate enough to get a move to the schemes had been on a waiting list for many years, up to twenty years in some cases. I do remember people being excited about having a bath at home for the first time or about having their own “back and front doors”.

The multi storey flats may have proven to be a mistake but consider the pressure on post war city councils (Glasgow’s included) to solve an acute housing shortage and perhaps they were an answer of sorts for their time.

Does anyone who has posted here want to return to a flat with no hot water, rats in the back courts and a toilet shared with two other families? That was how much of Springburn and Townhead were.

Aye, they're all gone - thank God!

+Quote Post
*Frank Wilson*
post 15th Oct 2009, 03:35pm
Post #39

Guest , you are very correct in what you say about some of the living conditions ans insanitary aspects of these old districts of Glasgow but I still think that with a little bit more imagination a lot of it could have been saved, ok we had stairhead shared toilets but instead of 3 flats to a landing the middle flat could have been utilised and made extra room and toilets for the other 2 as has been done elsewhere in the city. I also remember that even in those harder times that there was a definite feeling of belonging and attachment to the area, a definite community feeling. I lived at 53 Earlston avenue then later at 124 Taylor street and untill they were demolished in the late 60's and if anyone asks me these days where i came from I always proudly say Townhead (stricktly speaking I suppose Earlston av. was in the Garngad)Glasgow.
Frank

+Quote Post
**Kathleen**
post 28th Dec 2009, 06:00am
Post #40

QUOTE (Frank Wilson @ 15th Oct 2009, 03:33pm) *
Guest , you are very correct in what you say about some of the living conditions ans insanitary aspects of these old districts of Glasgow but I still think that with a little bit more imagination a lot of it could have been saved, ok we had stairhead shared toilets but instead of 3 flats to a landing the middle flat could have been utilised and made extra room and toilets for the other 2 as has been done elsewhere in the city. I also remember that even in those harder times that there was a definite feeling of belonging and attachment to the area, a definite community feeling. I lived at 53 Earlston avenue then later at 124 Taylor street and untill they were demolished in the late 60's and if anyone asks me these days where i came from I always proudly say Townhead (stricktly speaking I suppose Earlston av. was in the Garngad)Glasgow.
Frank

+Quote Post
**Kathleen**
post 28th Dec 2009, 06:34am
Post #41

No one on Earlston Avenue ever said they were from Garngad, we always said Townhead!

+Quote Post
**John Walker**
post 7th Jun 2010, 04:24pm
Post #42

QUOTE (AndyR1 @ 17th Jul 2006, 09:56pm) *
My Family {Grandparents} lived in Townhead {Earlston Ave, Stirling road and a few others } from the 1920 right up to the 1950`s and Ive been searching for any photos of Earlston Ave from time but as of yet not much luck {virtual mitchell is great} My family history is quite a mess and a few of the family are trying to piece it all together { bloody hard work when you dont have right names,dates ect lol } so any history that you can give me would be great. thank you all. Andy

Hello
I have a picture of Earlston Ave dated 1956

E- mail jrw.nmh@btinternet.com

+Quote Post
particklady
post 17th Oct 2013, 01:37pm
Post #43

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,800
hi im new to this site, and straight away im reading story about townhead, we moved to townhead flats which was 105 taylor street. biggrin.gif we moved from single end in partick to these flats all new bright and shiny with bathroom and underfloor heating, we had to ballot for one and you could only have 1 child if you had 2 they had to be same sex, we only had 1 child when we moved then had another boy and girl it changed its name to 7 st mungo place. all my children when to the primary and secondary school there it was a great community to live in then as all our children grew up together.
and as we came from partick the high flats were new to us it was a great place to live

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 17th Oct 2013, 01:53pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Particklady welcome here.Thats a great wee story about your life in Townhead.I think its fair to say and Ill stand corrected but Partick is pretty much the same as it has been and re generation didnt happen on the same scale as other areas.I wonder what the reason could be?

+Quote Post
irrie
post 17th Oct 2013, 02:40pm
Post #45

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 17th Oct 2013, 02:51pm) *
Particklady welcome here.Thats a great wee story about your life in Townhead.I think its fair to say and Ill stand corrected but Partick is pretty much the same as it has been and re generation didnt happen on the same scale as other areas.I wonder what the reason could be?

Dont know the reason Jupiter but my aunt Bertha and uncle Jim Irwin stayed in White st in Partick many years ago and the last time i passed it looked much the same as i remembered.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.