Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> They're All Gone!, Lost Neighbourhoods
Allan D.Sim
post 7th Jun 2005, 11:06pm
Post #1

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
This is a sad story. Many expatriates will know what I mean if they get chance to read it. I was born in Townhead, and lived there for almost 6 years before we left for Bridgeton. I finally made it to Drumchapel in 1970. After a long sojourn we left in 1993. Now, we are happily ensconced in our present location ever since. When I left school, jobs were difficult to find. So, I was able to research the History of Glasgow to stop boredom settling in. This got me thinking. What happened to my old homes? Townhead was easy, we were just up from Queen Street station, so I knew it had been demolished.. Good start. I finally managed to make it over to bridgeton to discover a similar fate befell building number two. Drumchapel was also easy, we were being moved out as the buildings were to be .... demolished. Townhead I left 1967, demolished 1971. Bridgeton left 1970, demolished 1975, and Drumchapel left 1993, demolished 1994. So the telling tale is, if I leave the building is doomed. Townhead has never recovered... Cunningham Street is now the site of the Buchanan Galleries car park. Bridgeton is a lonely empty spot with a low wooden fence round it. Drumchapel, at time of writing is overgrown, and over 12 years later, empty. Rumours abound they are going to build on the site, but I've heard nothing. You know, even the schools have suffered. Only one of my schools remains. It is a listed building, and was built in 1903. The main point is, if I was to take anyone on a sightseeing tour of my neighbourhoods, they are lost.. Either as part of a concrete jungle, or returning to nature.. Where are all the lost neighbourhoods?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kate
post 1st Jan 2006, 07:21pm
Post #2

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,780
Thank you for the lament> I also visited Glasgow in 2005, I left in 1972, I felt so sad about Townhead, we lived in Earlston Avenue until 1956. My sister and I have a theory, because Townhead was a working-class area we were an 'embarrasment' that had to be rid-of. Very sad, but the whole area lost it's meaning after they tore it down and built a highway, I could not even find my way to Springburn.

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 1st Jan 2006, 09:56pm
Post #3

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
I know what you mean Kate.....I lived on Alexandra Parade next to Dot's dairy and left in 1965. I remember Earlston Ave. well...used to love to go to the swings at Garngad, past Silvio's cafe and the stick works owned by Peter Smart. Do you remember the shows that used to come to Kennedy Street?
I went to Springburn a few months ago and couldn't believe the changes. Well, I suppose this is what they call progress, but we still have our memories, like, my granny lived just past Earlston Ave. on the other side of Royston Road. I called her Granny Baird, she was actually a close family friend but she she said "If anyone says I'm not your granny, you punch their nose"....prevailing attitude of the times

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 16th Jan 2006, 02:10am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Well this is a nice turn up for the books!

My granny used to live in Earlston Ave in the early 1950's, she would be just aboot hitting her 50's then. I remember her taking me for a walk up there sometime late 60's showing me the actual close were she hud lived. Well, I wus on the way to Glenbarr St Clinic for a pair of corporation portholes, they whur the height of fashion then. The things us weans hud tae endure.

She lived near the Royston Rd end of Earlston Ave. Most people knew her as Faye or Phammie. She was married to a guy called Bryce and her maiden name was Tierney. Her faither lived in Abington St, he died aged 84 in 1964. She had 5 children; Tom, Jerry, Cathy, Faye and Rosie (my maw).

Rosie would be a lass 14/15 at the time you mention. They flitted to the 61 Alexandra Parade in mid 1950's. The 2 bouys did their National Service in the Army and the lassies goat married and moved oot. I remember when I was a wee wean Tom coming hame in his Hie'lant uniform and big tackity bits and stood oan ma fingers. Never liked him much after that.

I remember Dot's Dairy and Dot herself, she was a luvey, kind hearted wumin, salt o the earth. Used to do wee messages for her and she wid take me in the back shop, where she lived. It was just a single room, with a sink, with a gas gezzer! It had a cooker and bed in a recess, cosy as anything. I never figurred oot with her huving a diary why she sent me to McClardys Dairy, to get a bottles of milk and a pan loafs. Think she just liked company and to chatter with people.

She wus a cheery soul and she wud tell me stories about when she was a wee lassie and spoil me with cooked ham peices and bottles of Irn Bru and gie me a sixpenny bit to spend. Noo, where do you get customer service like that these days!

Just on a side note, when my granny went on her messages, it wus like a major expedition and could take nearly all day tae spend a poond! I'd get dragged around nearly every shop in Parlie Rd, hunting fur bargains. Coop, Curleys, Gourleys, you name it I goat dragged roond them all. Theres no doubt, humping a couple o stone o tatties for miles and awe the rest of it, keep yer a fit as a fiddle. Her fave place to shoip wus in Wullie Britons in Parson St. The smell of the hams, meats and awe other stuff is just a unique smell to the old shops of glasgow I hope there is still some around, wus one in High St, not far from Bows Furnitures. Gourleys, dont know if it is still there.

I think the womun just loved to stand in queues and gossip aw day long then then go back hame and hing oot the windae and blether oan to the other wifies across the street.

There wus a fruit shop just alang the street, just couple o closes up frea me at 61, "Carries" aka Carrie Ross. Carrie used to spoil me too. She had one of those penny gobstoppers machines ootside hur shoap. I swear you could get one o those and walk all the way tae huggie loch and back again and you wid still be sookin oan it.

There wus Frank and Mary Scullions, they hud a paper shop right next to wee Bobbie the Butcher.

There wus a family that lived in 91 Alexandra Parade, the McDougalls; Angus, Margaret, Jim, there was loads of them and even mair cats and dugs, and they all just aboot slept oan the same bed.

I used to play on the canel banks with them and get up to all sort of mischief when the motorway <spits> was getting built. Was an exciting playground at that age, little did we know how much these changes where going to change a whole community forever.

And a close or two up from there (95) on the bottom floor was Frank Taylor, he stayed there with his daughter Elizabeth, she was in same class as me in Golfhill. She was a very tall lassie for her age and hud curly ginger hair. I fancied hur rotten even at 10, never goat the chance to winch her up a close tho *sniffle*

The mair I think aboot this, the mair that comes back.

Its a sma' wurld and it's getting smaller every day. If it wusnea fur the internet, widnea have this chance of catching up with the past. Catching up with the past, that sound right, but I think yell awe ken wit ah mean!

I would dearly love to see some old photies of that end of the Parade. I been through all the usual resources online, and have still got to come across some of any detail. The only one I have seen is of the cooperative at Wishart St end in the 30's. That looked just the same.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 16th Jan 2006, 12:56pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Our family came to the Bishopbriggs area in 1921 from Cumbernauld. My grandfather and my father were coal miners and seemed to have travelled every 5 year or so until they arrived in the Briggs. However, the only set of Glasgow ancestors were my great grand parents Patrick O' Donnell and Eliza Dougan ( no prizes for saying where they originated <smile>) They were married in 1856, his second marriage, and they lived in Portugal street, I believe in the Gorbals, and on the 1861 census they lived at 62 Rumford St, Bridgeton. are those streets still there?

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
davyab44
post 19th Jan 2006, 03:32am
Post #6

City Key Holder
Member No.: 429
Aye Rabbie, yer really talkin' close tae hame noo. As ah said ah lived at 105, Ally Parade. We moved there Aug. 5th. 1950, the day before ma 6th. birthday an ah left in '56 when ma Mammy died.

It wiz a man called Mr. Barr who used tae run a confectioners shoap at that time where Dot's dairy wiz. Ah moved back tae that hoose fur a year plus before ah came tae Canada in 1965.

You mention #91...did you know the Raveys, Victor an' Lawrence?..ah think they wur in #95 toap flat....The butcher you call wee Boabby wiz Moreland's an' ah used tae dae his deliveries in 1957 when ah steyed wae ma brother an' his wife. So ah lived there on 3 different occasions.

Up the back oan the canal banks wiz a big iron foundry and jist alang the wey wiz a bunch o' garages wherr we used tae play fitba'.......noo these ur great memories.

Ah huv a feelin' that Dot musta loast hur husband 'cause they used tae live in Auchentoshan Terrace oan the wey tae Springburn. She wiz a very social body, so ah cin unnerstaun her steyin' in the back o' the dairy.

Onywey, if ye come up wae mair memories, post thum ur gie's a PM so's we doant bore everywan tae death. D'ye 'member Dr.Cook's surgery an' the Night Star chippie....Glenfield St. an ma pals Ma an' Da's shoap McCreadies grocery? smile.gif

--------------------
Here's tae us, wha's like us? Damn few an' they're a' deid

+Quote Post
lizmac
post 22nd Jan 2006, 02:35am
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 2,811
Hi Rabbie,
You brought a lot of memories for me thanks, people i haven't thought of for years Carrie Ross was a pal of my Granny Falloon i knew her well,i lived in Villiers St,then moved up the road to Stronsay St,germiston,left there to come to the states in'67. I was home in July then again in August whenmy Mother died she lived in Royston Sq,remember when that used to be for toffs only,lots of changes in the road over the years well thanks again for the trip down memory lane.Cheers liz.

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 22nd Jan 2006, 08:29pm
Post #8

Special Visitor
Member No.: 465
Rabbie

You mentioned going to Glenbarr Street Clinic for specs way back in the 50's. This jogged my memories of nearly 50 years ago.

From 1957 to 1963, I worked in the School Health Service in Bath Street, which was part of the Health and Welfare Department. There were, if my memory serves me correct, around 25 school clinics in the city. When I was the office junior, one part of my job was to deliver larger packages that were too big to post. The two clinics I visited most were Florence Street and Glenbarr Street.

I haven't been able to find out if the school clinics still exist. I believe somewhere in the sixties, the Bath Street staff were moved to Ingram Street, and may well have been amalgamated with the main Health & Welfare Dept.

Another thing which comes to mind about my employment by the Glasgow Corporation was that they did not employ married women. On marriage, female staff had to resign! I can't imagine that happening these days - I am sure the rules must have changed. There were therefore only young females staff like myself and older single women, along with the occasional widow. Mind you, I was very happy in the School Health Service and would love to hear any information about the place.

+Quote Post
AndyR1
post 17th Jul 2006, 08:53pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 3,402
My Family {Grandparents} lived in Townhead {Earlston Ave, Stirling road and a few others } from the 1920 right up to the 1950`s and Ive been searching for any photos of Earlston Ave from time but as of yet not much luck {virtual mitchell is great} My family history is quite a mess and a few of the family are trying to piece it all together { bloody hard work when you dont have right names,dates ect lol } so any history that you can give me would be great. thank you all. Andy

+Quote Post
surnom vert
post 30th Jul 2006, 04:16pm
Post #10

Settling In
Member No.: 3,590
I too visited Glasgow recently. I am old enough to remember Townhead, as a thriving community. NOW FLATTENED (Springburn is not looking too good either). I vaguely remember tenements in Earlston Avenue, my only memory of this bit was walking from my Aunties in Rhymer Street across to Castle street on bonfire night to buy some fireworks. I am not old enough to remember tenements, shops or businesses up on Garngadhill, but just old enough to remember some tenements and shops on Millburn street. I grew up in Germiston and remember it as relatively unscathed, though I do understand North of Forge street has undergone a bit of 'modernisation. Germiston is my particular interest because since I was wee it has been relatively left alone, and with this in mind I am DEDICATING a little webspace to Germiston I am urging people to go out and take as many photos as possible and record their impressions of life. Your grandkids will thank you for it! Please feel free to add a wee comment to the webspace.

One thing I did notice about Germiston on my last visit was that the piggery between Darnick Street and the railway had been landscaped. What is going on there? Houses, businesses??

--------------------
Google this - blogger germiston - to read about Glasgow's East end

+Quote Post
surnom vert
post 20th Aug 2006, 11:26pm
Post #11

Settling In
Member No.: 3,590
Further to my previous post, the website address has disappeared from my posts and my signature. Despite my efforts to correct this, the link refers back to this Glasgow Guide. I am asure we are all keen to share information about Glasgow on this forum, so if you wish to help me find the information I need about Germston, put the keywords Germiston and Blogger into google.

--------------------
Google this - blogger germiston - to read about Glasgow's East end

+Quote Post
sumac
post 7th Oct 2006, 04:53pm
Post #12

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
As an ex-Townhead person, I am so sad that I can't show my children my roots. My mum lives in Dennistoun now, so we are in Glasgow often. I have returned to the site of the old haunts, only to find motorways, spare ground, high flats, etc. but nothing of the old life - except St. Mungo's Church, Martyrs School (which has restricted access and no playground), Provand's Lordship (which was broken into many years ago and most of the old furniture and exhibits stolen) and the Cathedral. How I wish I could show my family where I was brought up.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Oct 2006, 05:16pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
It's so sad what they did to these thriving places in Glasgow, Townhead and Springburn, Gorbals too being like small towns in the past with their own particular identities.

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 7th Oct 2006, 05:30pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Ruchill , is all gone now , at least the way I remember it. I lived just off Ruchill street (Shunna St), but all the closes where built in a kind of a square shape, every one knew you and looked out for you & yours, not like today when eveyone goes in & shuts the doors.
At least back when I was a kid if someone was getting murdered, eveyone knew about it... Now " Sorry Polisman I heard/saw nothing" unsure.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Oct 2006, 05:32pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
laugh.gif Oh Lennox ah'm killing myself laughing, ' If you were getting murdered everyone knew about it' how true.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.