Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hinshaw Street, Life in Maryhill in the 40's & 50's
aaron king
post 17th Aug 2005, 10:35am
Post #16

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
great pics dimairt .i was brought up in firhill rd.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 17th Aug 2005, 12:20pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
Glad you liked them Aaaron. See if you can figure this one out.

Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 17th Aug 2005, 12:36pm
Post #18

Super City Key Holder
hi dimairt
i jist sent that pic of queens x area away tae betty in nz earlier this morning,i had it my pics stash,i got it from the evening times a while ago. great pic

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 18th Aug 2005, 10:16am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
There are a few snaps of Hinshaw St. on the Virtual Mitchell but they're not from the modern era.
Here's Dunard St. Primary - 1965 - which someone asked for recently.

Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jock
post 3rd Sep 2005, 05:04am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
HI everyone
I love this site. Also was able to recently buy a copy of Robert's book and am thoroughly enjoying it . Have a whole list of family waiting to read about where and how dad/granpa (me) was raised. I lived on Simpson St. across Maryhill Rd. . Been to the steamie,cocozza's,blythsie etc.etc.etc. around the same time described in the book. Many fond memories. Tenement living could be fun!

+Quote Post
isa
post 5th Sep 2005, 09:02am
Post #21

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
Hello,
I was told that my birth father and his brothers and sisters went to NK in the late 50's, can anyone tell me what this was like then,
many thanks
isa

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 7th Sep 2005, 12:31pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Here's one of Queen's Cross circa 1960.

Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 7th Sep 2005, 10:38pm
Post #23

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
great picture Dimairt after i got married in 1960 we stayed in Kirkland st so i know that area pretty well

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 8th Sep 2005, 01:36am
Post #24

Special Visitor
Member No.: 465
Dimairt - the photo of Queen's Cross is brilliant, thanks. I see the tramlines were still there then, and is that a trolley bus on Garscube Road? I enjoyed seeing your photos of Maryhill Road. Sorry to say, I couldn't work out which parts of the road they were taken, though one looked a bit like the corner of Trossachs Street. Thanks for offer of more photos - I would love to see the ones of the Blythswood and Seamore picture houses.

Flam - yes, the picture is Springbank Primary School. The area nearest to the camera was the boys' playground. The girls' playground was at the opposite end, in Hinshaw Street, where I lived.

Isa - I went to NKS from 1953 to 1957. There were two buildings then, the 'old' school at the top of Oban Drive and the 'new' school further down the hill. The playgrounds there were also segregated. The girls were at the top of the old school and at the bottom of the new one. One memory I have is that during the winter when we had to change classes, the girls got pelted with snowballs by the boys when walking down or up the hill. We used to make "slides" on the slope when the ground was icy, which was a lot of fun but ended up with more than a few broken bones. Sad to say, the entire school, including a third building built between the other two, have now been demolished. I passed it a few months ago, while on holiday from NZ. Presumably, the area will be used for housing but the memories of school life will linger on.

Kind regards to all
Betty

+Quote Post
andypisces1
post 8th Sep 2005, 03:09am
Post #25

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,621
great queens cross picture. Starting with the gents toilet then the polis box. We get the billiard hall with the pub below. After that came the greeks chip shop and mr Denholms newsagents.There was a plumbers shop for a couple of closes then came the sweetie shop and davidson the opticians. thats where i used to go for my glasses. i think i was their best customer. In the opticians they had this picture of the charge of the light brigade and that picture fascinated me....again loved the picture and the memories it brought back......andy

+Quote Post
flam
post 8th Sep 2005, 06:45am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Dimart and other Local old lads,what a great picture of the Queens Cross that I knew,I used to partake in a wee drink in "The Queens Cross Vaults" [ Russells},when I stayed in Kirkland St 1964/1966 it is now a childrens playground Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 8th Sep 2005, 08:58am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
I'm glad that you all enjoyed the Queeen's Cross snap; it is a good one- lots of detail.
I was talking to Gerald Docherty - the older brother in the family butchers which still has a shop on Maryhill Rd. - the other day and hope to get some snaps of their shop in the 50s and 60s from him.
I've attached one of the Seamore and will post the Blythswood as soon as I can. I still don't know how to post more than one pic at a time!
I'm giving a talk and slide show on 13th October in Adelaid's Church,Bath St. The subject is St. George's Cross to Queen's Cross. Hope you can manage along.
Le durachd,
Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 9th Sep 2005, 07:25am
Post #28

Super City Key Holder
thats a great pic of queens x dimairt.the polis box brings back some not so good memories.thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 9th Sep 2005, 11:25am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
The Blythswood circa 1965 on the corner of Trossachs St. and Maryhill Rd.

Dimairt

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 9th Sep 2005, 02:32pm
Post #30

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
Dimairt you are breaking everybody's heart with these pictures and definitely using up a lot of paper towels wiping away all the tears from crying . As a kid i went to all these picture halls and as a teenager went to them with or looking for the girls brings back a lot of memories,once again Dimairt great pictures

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.